The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF and Stage Work

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I shipped my Mac Pro in on the truck here with a 23 inch and rented another 23 in cinema. Not sure the MacBook Pro I have could handle this, waiting for the next version of the MacBook Pro. Hopefully the next gen. will have the horse power. Obviously MF is way overkill for screen work but there will be some images turned into posters. This goes back to you just never know what needs will be down the road. I could have easily shot this with the Nikons BUT honestly I shot these same shows with Canon, Nikon and Leica's and nothing is touching the look I see from this year with MF. There is just a NON digital look to the files which I am really liking , smooth maybe the better word here. The files just have a nice range of look to them. Jack has seen all this stuff before from me and he said it also the other day . Nothing I have done so far shooting these looks like this year and I have to agree. Finally I am happy.

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Lance did not use the make web. I honestly went through about 2 k in images and processed one by one straight to jpegs for the screen. Having great WB made it very easy and only real adjustments I made was exposure but I make a adjustment on one copy that than apply to all . Than just rip at it until I have to make a exposure adjustment gain and repeat. C1 can be very fast at processing when you need it to be. I did shoot everything IIQS which is a compressed raw file and that does speed up the shooting and makes the back a touch faster and honestly I see NO difference than the loseless L setting. I found a couple things makes this system faster one is short latency, the IIQS setting and on AF the camera will track focus when using the half press. Not Nikon or Canon fast but right in there with like the 5D which is pretty darn good in my book. But I am really liking the new body. i do wish they spread out the AF points a little better . I did run into focusing issues with the bathing suits because mot times you are having the focus point on the belly of someone and like water noting to really create a contrast difference but only had a issues a few times and still very happy how it performed. Yes the back got a workout but really the new body really was worked pretty hard and i feel very confident in it's performance so far.
I agree with most subject matter you will not be able to see a difference between IIQS and IIQL.
Next time check out the Web Contact Sheet Feature, it may have been able to knock out some of your work for you.
Also how was battery life on back and body. Seems like you were taxing it pretty hard.

Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
Capture Integration
[email protected]

Terry

I shipped my Mac Pro in on the truck here with a 23 inch and rented another 23 in cinema. Not sure the MacBook Pro I have could handle this, waiting for the next version of the MacBook Pro. Hopefully the next gen. will have the horse power. Obviously MF is way overkill for screen work but there will be some images turned into posters. This goes back to you just never know what needs will be down the road. I could have easily shot this with the Nikons BUT honestly I shot these same shows with Canon, Nikon and Leica's and nothing is touching the look I see from this year with MF. There is just a NON digital look to the files which I am really liking , smooth maybe the better word here. The files just have a nice range of look to them. Jack has seen all this stuff before from me and he said it also the other day . Nothing I have done so far shooting these looks like this year and I have to agree. Finally I am happy.
I said a similar thing to Guy the other night. There is just something different from this set vs. the previous shows I've seen.

PeterA

well Guy thanks for posting - real world shooting. What I found fascinating was the resolution ( as well as colour) I can see all teh bruises and imperfections on the models legs..well thats it my second back will definately be that P25+

hmm - must have been so hard on teh eyes all those kini models! LOL

S

SecondFocus

Guy,

Just to be clear, did you shoot all this with your 645ZD back?

Thanks!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No all shot with the The Phase One P25 Plus back and the NEW Phase body which is also the same as the Mamiya AFD III which will be coming out soon.

Lance batteries did very well and also for folks buying off brand batteries get at least 2200 batteries and not the Canons which ae 1500 they don't last long but I was able to shoot 300 frames before needing another battery . I have 4 with me and never went to three , maybe 1.5 per day.

Yes Peter the resolution is there both the good and the bad. LOL

TRSmith

Subscriber Member
Thanks for showing this Guy! Great stuff that shows off your terrific skills coupled with a camera/back combo in a real-world situation. An impressive example of hard work and professionalism. No technical description or list of specifications comes close to the power of actual examples. Nice job!