Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Next Phase One camera - what do you want?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Next Phase One camera - what do you want?

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    One of the main things that seems to annoy people is that their $1000 DSLR's have a far more advanced body than these MF cameras. Pentax seems to have done the right thing by creating a DSLR type MF camera with all the features of its regular DSLR cameras (especially focus) plus dual slot and weather proofing. I think take that body and add a WLF and tethering assuming the live view of the IQ backs and you would pretty much have the dream MF camera.

Or am I missing stuff?
    Yes. I have a question: Does the multiple auto focus points of the pentax are accumulated at the center of the frame? Reviewers tend not to mention the distribution and I am not sure.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Jack,

Don't forget a mirror lockup + self-timer button or lever/switch that human hands can turn on and off, preferably with gloves on!
    Paul

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Paul David View Post
    Jack,

Don't forget a mirror lockup + self-timer button or lever/switch that human hands can turn on and off, preferably with gloves on!
    Paul
    That's exactly what I meant when I said "a la Hassy"
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well certainly arguments for both no question. But I could argue a load of points i don't agree with you but really what is the point. Its like two kids arguing about which water pistol is better. I simply stay out of all those kinds of arguments as it gets nowhere but i could certainly point you to a few forums that love that stuff.

I could not resist.

Its Friday people laugh

Ok, seriously, 25k water pistols that is

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I want a Red one
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget the ferrari, porsche or vw logo! LOL

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

A proper case!

Post Thanks / Like

Having asked around quite a bit and based on my own guess I believe the next Phase camera will likely be based on the DF and will not be more radical. I might be right, I might not be, but regardless... Hy6 seems as a camera that is difficult to beat and is the current state of art. I never thought I would be interested in it, but holding and using it convinced me.

A key question is perhaps what Phase - Leaf will make with Hy6, if anything, since they appear to sit on the rights to develop it.

Sure, they could make a 645 camera out of its parts, but why? A 6x6 camera has the advantage of a much brighter focus screen and rotation of sensor instead of camera. Also, it is my understanding that the Schneider and Zeiss lenses for the Hy6 are better than the lenses for the Mamiya.

Also Hy6 is made in Germany (current by DHW) and which arguably and in my opinion and experience stands for a higher quality product than made in Japan.

Quote Originally Posted by BradleyGibson View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised to see something based on an updated Hy6 body at some point. No idea what they'll do re:lens mounts and compatibility, though.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    I always found the Hy6 a little too big for what it was
    If anything the Hy6 is SMALLER than Mamiya AFD cameras, and far more ergonomic and well balanced. Mamiya AFD cameras are an aged design and way heavy and bulky by todays standards fir what 645 should be. Mine was AFD3...

Now if we speak of lenses, some are for Hy6 HEAVY, e.g. the 110/2 that is a beast of 1.3kg but optics arguably more stellar than Hassy 110/2!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    - Only the new Schneider lenses will be supported, because I'm pretty sure they have the image circle for 6x6. Current Phase one / Mamyia won't be supported.
    Not possible, since 6x6 requires a larger distance between lens flange to sensor...

-------

Thus my own bet was on going with Hy6 and Leaf Afi and forget about what might or might not come... and, ehh... simply try enjoy photography

... and Hy6 feels as a real camera in hands.

Many AF points, faster AF and the like... Uhhg... this is MEDIUM FORMAT... and should be expected to be more basic for more advanced users. Thus aimed at users who command more knowledge of focus and exposure, and who simply demand more control as opposed to auto features and buttons that gets in the way. --- at least my humble opinion (and one reason why I not liked dslr)...

Regards
    Anders

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post

Not possible, since 6x6 requires a larger distance between lens flange to sensor...
    Not necessarily -- considering the shutter assembly could be removed, and the mirror done as a pellicle or articulated on a cam...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."