Site Sponsors

Thread: Mamiya DM 33 and Leaf politic...

Post Thanks / Like

Mamiya DM 33 and Leaf politic...

looking at the last update for leaf backs, is looks like that the level of support for mamiya DM33 is closer to an aptus 75 than an Aptus II...

no new GUI available for exemple...

Right ?

So maybe buying a new Mamiya DM 33 (on sale) isn't a good option now, isn't it ?

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Mamiya DM 33 and Leaf politic...

It's my understanding that the DM33 and Aptus II 7 are just rebranded versions of each other. The 75 & 75s are earlier generation backs with the dimmer LCD and earlier firmware etc. I'm pretty sure this came up before and Yair confirmed this.

Not having the Leaf update for the new UI would be a definite black mark against the DM33 version IMHO. I'm sure Yair or one of the Leaf dealers can confirm. (Heck I'd love to be able to put this on my Aptus 65 too!)
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Post Thanks / Like

from the post about the new GUI...

"The GUI on the Mamiya backs remains the same for the time being"

Yair

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by archivue View Post
    from the post about the new GUI...

"The GUI on the Mamiya backs remains the same for the time being"

Yair
    Well, you can't argue with that! I know that the hardware is supposed to be the same so I assume it's down to the firmware differences such as the Mamiya branding perhaps?

Post Thanks / Like

price differentiation and brand protection.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Spinnler View Post
    price differentiation and brand protection.
    yes but some dealers keep on saying : " that's a plain aptus II rebadged... " !

Post Thanks / Like

I got the DM33 because it was really good value for money and still is. The camera is very versatile and I now have some incredible manual Mamiya lenses for peanuts. I could not be happier with what I have and what I've actually spent. As it is, it takes incredible pictures and any firmware issues that detracted from that have been fixed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

looking at the last update for leaf backs, is looks like that the level of support for mamiya DM33 is closer to an aptus 75 than an Aptus II...

no new GUI available for exemple...

Right ?

So maybe buying a new Mamiya DM 33 (on sale) isn't a good option now, isn't it ?

This should not be the case and I will look into this.

Also to my knowledge there is no difference between the Aptus-II 7 and the DM-33 other than the name on the top and the method of distribution. Firmware differences should not exist (far as I know).

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well apparently they do...
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ok, so this has always been my understanding, and I re-confirmed this with a conversation today with Mamiya that the Mamiya DM Series and the Leaf Aptus-II Series are identical, with the exceptions of the name on the label and the distribution channel (and also that - at least in the USA - the Mamiya brands are only available in Mamiya mount, not also Contax, Hassy V, Hassy H). And a there's a few packaging differences.

But the digital backs themselves, functionally, hardware/firmware-wise, are identical, and as such, the Mamiya also is eligible to accept the new GUI update.

These are not to be confused with the Mamiya DL Series, sold some years ago before Leaf was acquired by Phase One, which are indeed the same as the Aptus S Series, and are not eligible for the GUI update.

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix View Post
    Ok, so this has always been my understanding, and I re-confirmed this with a conversation today with Mamiya that the Mamiya DM Series and the Leaf Aptus-II Series are identical, with the exceptions of the name on the label and the distribution channel (and also that - at least in the USA - the Mamiya brands are only available in Mamiya mount, not also Contax, Hassy V, Hassy H). And a there's a few packaging differences.

But the digital backs themselves, functionally, hardware/firmware-wise, are identical, and as such, the Mamiya also is eligible to accept the new GUI update.

These are not to be confused with the Mamiya DL Series, sold some years ago before Leaf was acquired by Phase One, which are indeed the same as the Aptus S Series, and are not eligible for the GUI update.

Steve Hendrix

I'm sorry, I'm wrong on this.

First off - there are different firmwares for the Leaf Aptus-II and Mamiya DM Series backs. Necessarily - for example, different menus and screens are enabled to display Mamiya instead of Leaf on a DM back for tethered and un-tethered operation. So this is correct, the firmware is different for (mostly) minor reasons that are specific to each back brand.

But it is also true that for now, the new GUI is only for Leaf Aptus-II and AFi-II backs (with serial #'s starting in LI). My guess - and at this point it is only a guess until I hear more specifically - is that Mamiya DM backs will be able to utilize the new GUI at some point in the future. But I do not have confirmation of this yet.

The DM Series does accept a firmware update from LC 11.5 that performs a few miscellaneous bug fixes, but does not incorporate the new GUI, Lens Calibration for CF Card, or the accelerated startup. So, my hope is that this will be enabled at some point. I cannot see how it would make any sense for them not to. We'll see.

Steve Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

"So, my hope is that this will be enabled at some point. I cannot see how it would make any sense for them not to. "

i still can't understand why i have to save my leaf aptus 22 files, in a compressed version to be able to use the LCC tool in capture Ona pro... so, this have nothing to do with common sense !

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"So, my hope is that this will be enabled at some point. I cannot see how it would make any sense for them not to. "

i still can't understand why i have to save my leaf aptus 22 files, in a compressed version to be able to use the LCC tool in capture Ona pro... so, this have nothing to do with common sense !
    Hey, at least C1 doesn't crash when you load them now The other interesting thing is that if you save the files as uncompressed in camera and then convert them to compressed in Leaf Capture, C1 Pro won't allow you to use your new compressed version for LCC's. It seems only to like virgin files from the back and not compressed files from Leaf Capture.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

If you look at the metadata in C1 you will notice that "virgin" files show RAW as a format while the other ones show MOS.

LCC only works on RAW files.

If your workflow requires LCC in C1 then you should stick to RAW compressed (shot to CF card or tethered to C1) and skip Leaf Capture. If at any point you need to go through Adobe then you can use the RAW converter for that
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog