The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

IQ180 loose on Alpa?

sendog

My IQ180 is loose on my Alpa and on its own protective plate.
Both rattle, with a fair bit of play.

I read someone else having a similar issue, and wondered what the fix was - on Phase's part, or on Alpa's? I can't find that thread now. My previous Phase back was fine.

Thanks.

O

Optechs Digital

Hi Sendog,

Alpa makes two versions of the adapter plate, one for Phase backs and one for Leaf backs. There is an indication on the plate itself to indicate which it is specified for. "00" is for Phase and "000" is for Leaf.

On the IQ backs it has been discovered that the Leaf mount plate is actually providing a better fit than the Phase specified mount plate.

If you are looking for an immediate solution you can purchase an Alpa 000 Leaf plate and you should have a perfect fit.

If you can wait a bit, Alpa is working out a conversion kit to modify your existing plate to fit the IQ back. We don't yet know the price or timeline for availability but it is being addressed and is a priority item.

Best Regards,
Paul

I read someone else having a similar issue, and wondered what the fix was - on Phase's part, or on Alpa's? I can't find that thread now. My previous Phase back was fine.

Thanks.

Paul David

Paul,

The problem is either with Phase One changing the spec of the back, or with Alpa. Having recently invested many thousands in an Alpa system (with you) and many more in Phase One, it is reasonable to expect that the IQ system should continue to function as it does with my P65+ back.

If the problem is with Phase it is reasonable to have them either fix the back so it will maintain the specs of the P65+ or cover any costs involved involved in having it fit the same bodies as the P65+. If the problem is with Alpa then they should fix the problem at no additional charge.

As a dealer, you have been more than superb! Above and beyond any expectations. And as I have a long history of Phase with Capture Integration, who has also been excellent, I feel caught in the middle. My IQ 180 is on it's way, and we'll see how it fits my TC body. Hopefully it will fit fine. If not I hope both companies will jump in and solve the problem.

Paul

Hi Sendog,

Alpa makes two versions of the adapter plate, one for Phase backs and one for Leaf backs. There is an indication on the plate itself to indicate which it is specified for. "00" is for Phase and "000" is for Leaf.

On the IQ backs it has been discovered that the Leaf mount plate is actually providing a better fit than the Phase specified mount plate.

If you are looking for an immediate solution you can purchase an Alpa 000 Leaf plate and you should have a perfect fit.

If you can wait a bit, Alpa is working out a conversion kit to modify your existing plate to fit the IQ back. We don't yet know the price or timeline for availability but it is being addressed and is a priority item.

Best Regards,
Paul

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
The problem is either with Phase One changing the spec of the back, or with Alpa.
It seems to me that if people with existing P series backs have them fitting perfectly firmly on their Mamiya/Phase One 645AFD I/II/III/DF bodies, Alpas, Arcas, Cambo, etc, and then more than a few IQ backs seem variable on AFD & DF bodies, plus Alpa (and I expect Arca/Cambo too btw) then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out where the problem probably lies ... :rolleyes:

If it were just Alpa fitting that was loose then it would be pretty obvious who needs to make a change. Since there are reports here of some being loose on Phase One cameras I think it's a bit damning on Phase One.

Btw, I have a similar issue with my Leaf back on my AFD II/DF being slightly loose yet my P40+ fits like a glove on all of my gear, including Alpa.

goesbang

It seems to me that if people with existing P series backs have them fitting perfectly firmly on their Mamiya/Phase One 645AFD I/II/III/DF bodies, Alpas, Arcas, Cambo, etc, and then more than a few IQ backs seem variable on AFD & DF bodies, plus Alpa (and I expect Arca/Cambo too btw) then it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out where the problem probably lies ... :rolleyes:

If it were just Alpa fitting that was loose then it would be pretty obvious who needs to make a change. Since there are reports here of some being loose on Phase One cameras I think it's a bit damning on Phase One.

Btw, I have a similar issue with my Leaf back on my AFD II/DF being slightly loose yet my P40+ fits like a glove on all of my gear, including Alpa.
As some of you know, I run P65+ and Aptus 12 backs in my architectural photography business. The incredibly supportive Mrs.Siebel just added an IQ180 to my bag.
One of the significant reasons for shooting with Alpa in the first place is the ability to shim the mount adapter so the sensor sits precisely where it should, not "within tolerances". The shorter the focal-length, the shallower depth-of-focus (as apposed to depth of field) becomes. The fully manual focus system also is a small factor in this chain-of-focus.
Alpa, in recognising that backs from Phase and Leaf had slightly different measurements in the Mamiya645 mount, have for quite some time had 2 different adapter plates. The difference in dimension is such that it is impossible to fit my P65+ onto the Alpa ooo (Leaf M645) mount.
Lets be clear about this - the fit of a Leaf M645 back on an Alpa oo M645 Phase mount is so sloppy as to render shimming pointless - the back wobbles.
Enter the IQ180 - mounting it on my Alpa oo M645 adapter which works perfectly with my P65+ (fits without forcing, sits with no wobbles), leaves me with a back-to-adapter fit that is clearly loose. It wobbles.
What is interesting is that the same IQ180 back, when fitted to my ooo adapter, which I had to get when I bought the Aptus 12 (which wobbles on the oo adapter), fits as snug as can be.
The mount is a major component in the system that makes the Alpa the precision tool that it is.
Firstly, Alpa users upgrading to IQ backs need to be aware of this. Very, very few will have the luxury of multiple backs (and theresore mount adapters)I do.
Secondly, Phase need to confirm that the current IQ dimension will continue through the production life of this back and that this is not a "within manufacturing tolerances" issue. Given the precision required by the 5.2 micron generation sensors, this is doubly important. Also, we need to know that the IQ180 mount will be identical in dimension to the IQ160 and IQ140.
Alpa and Phase probably need to have a quiet chat about how the P+ series users upgrading to IQ backs are handled. There IS an issue and the "manufacturing tolerances" argument is a weak one.
Ultimately, the solution is a simple one - IQ180 backs need a ooo adapter from ALPA.
I, for one, am absolutely delighted with both my back and my camera, so I'm now going to do the fun stuff - take pictures.
Cheers.

sendog

Thanks.
Thanks all, especial Paul S, and Siebel, for the useful information.

I'll repeat my OP, above, and say that my IQ rattles alarmingly even on its own protective cover plate. That is Phase on Phase. So its pretty clear where the issue lays. Surely a cover plate that locks down well for safe travel is a prerequisite? (My P65+ locks snugly to the new IQ cover plate, so the plate is not the issue)

Yes my IQ is fine on the DF, but as Doug Petersconi says, that has a special locking mechanism. Phase clearly have changed the tolerances on this, or got a bad batch of mount adapters, falling outside of spec. This is not a huge deep-tech issue, but I think Phase needs to commission a new batch of tight lock pin brackets, and fix those that need fixing, asap.

ddanois

I received my IQ180 two days ago and just had a chance to try it last night. The fit on my DF body is a bit more "snug" than with my P65+. That is to say that my P65+ always had a softer fit to the body than what I'm seeing on the IQ180.

I like the firm and snug fit of the IQ on the DF but the fit to my Arca is entirely different. The P65+ fits "perfectly on mount but the IQ180 almost wouldn't mount. The IQ required significant pressure to complete the lock on the Arca Rm3Di so it appears that there is a difference in the mounts between the two backs.

Hope this provides another point of reference.

Derek

S

smei_ch

Interesting enough that only Alpa seems to offer different mounts, and that since quite some time. As an owner I wondered all the time if the other manufacturers weren't aware of this issue?

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I received my IQ180 two days ago and just had a chance to try it last night. The fit on my DF body is a bit more "snug" than with my P65+. That is to say that my P65+ always had a softer fit to the body than what I'm seeing on the IQ180.

I like the firm and snug fit of the IQ on the DF but the fit to my Arca is entirely different. The P65+ fits "perfectly on mount but the IQ180 almost wouldn't mount. The IQ required significant pressure to complete the lock on the Arca Rm3Di so it appears that there is a difference in the mounts between the two backs.

Hope this provides another point of reference.

Derek
On all the DF's and 180's i tried in combination the fit was snug on the DF compared to my P40+. I do like that tight fit but the Alpa fit issue needs to be resolved it seems.

stephengilbert

"There is an indication on the plate itself to indicate which it is specified for. "00" is for Phase and "000" is for Leaf."

Really? I can't find any such marks on my plate. I even took it apart to make sure they weren't inside. Any suggestions? (Other than Jack's that I buy an Arca.)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Perhaps you have an older plate? Might be worth a check with your dealer. If not, I'm certain I can get you an Arca to demo :ROTFL:

Guy Mancuso

I take Alpa hand me downs . Hell i will take any tech cam hand me downs. I don't rate much anymore I ONLY bought a IQ 160. I'm never EVER going to hear the end of those extra 20 mpx.

Guy Mancuso

Thank you Graham , it could use a little color though. Maybe a color checker pattern . LOL

Than we can be test targets for the big boys and girls. ROTFLMAO

alan_w_george

For what it's worth...

When I moved from a P40 to a P65, the protector plate on the P65 moved around quite a bit. I tried the plate from the P40 on the P65 and it fit very snug. So the brand new protector plate from the P65 went back with the P40 which fit fine. The P65 does move around if pressured on my Cambo RS where the P40 did not. It also moves if pressured on my AFD as well. Haven't noticed any impacts on image quality. IQ180 on order so we'll see about how it fits.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
On the subject of DF body / back snug fitting, it would be nice to be able to adjust my Aptus 65 to fit a little better than it does. That back has a very slight amount of movement compared to my P40+, and that's on both my DF & AFD II bodies. Is this something that can easily done vs a trip back to Leaf/MAC group or body to Phase One?

Interesting to hear of even the P40+/P65+ fitting differences too. You'd kind of expect every back to fit absolutely tightly to the common reference Mamiya back mount. I just find these differences surprising considering the costs for this stuff.