The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

First post, new to MF and Get DPI !!!

baxter

Si

I made the switch to 645DF with a P45+ a year ago. I went for 28, 80 and 150mm but added the 45mm quickly. DOF is an issue for many landscape shots (particularly with 80mm and 150mm lenses) compared to FF DSLR and would recommend getting Helicon focus.

View camera wise, the cost mounts, but I used a Linhof Techno for a week and would like to add one when funding permits. Having used 5x4 previously, the absence of tilt in particular and front rise/drop to a lesser extent is something I miss.

Computer wise, my 4 year old 2.16GHZ MacBook Pro handles the files ok, but struggles, the 120GB HD means that I have to delete files once back from a trip ready for the next. My Mac Pro is from early 2008 and has only really grumbled when trying to stitch a panorama of 14 vertical frames.

Obviously your P65+ files are that bit bigger, so interpolate from my findings.

Bax

Terry

On computer gear, I would wait a bit and see how your current setup handles the files before upgrading. I was pretty surprised that my Mac Book Air could handle a P40+ file. An IQ180 file doesn't work on it (graphics rendering) but only you can know what is fast enough.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Wow, cheers for all the feedback guys :salute:

To start with I think it will be the 35mm, and 80mm LS and then see if I want to go 110 LS. I may then go for the extra length of the 150mm and fill in the gap between the 35mm and 80mm with the 55mm, plus it completes the LS set. I have also heard that a Schneider 35mm is in development but then with all the reading I have done lately this could be a myth ?

Camera and lenses will be brought new so I would hope that there should not be any issues with the quality of the lenses.

Carrying five primes is plenty for me, I carry four plus a Nikon 14-24mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 at the moment so the weight of my bag should be about the same if not slightly lighter.

In response to an earlier comment regarding processing I downloaded and bought a license to Capture One Pro 6 last weekend and have been working my way through online videos since.

Moving on from that, at present all my processing has been on a 15" MacBook Pro with 2.8GHz and 8GB Ram. I know I will need to get a better more powerful computer to process the images from the Phase back and was considering a 27" iMac upgraded to 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 with 16GB of memory but would appreciate any advice offered if this would not be the route to go. I would probably struggle in going to a Mac Pro straight away due to the cost of outlay in upgrading to the Phase system.

Cheers again guys, I know this is gonna be a cool place to be :clap:

Si.
The real trick pretty much is cores for C1. If you can get quads you would be ahead of the game. I have a 2011 15 MBP 2.3 Quad 8gb of ramm and a Sata 3 SSD drive. It should be about two times faster than you current MBP maybe better. I have had the Duo core in the same flavor as my current one and my processing times went up 53 percent with the quad unit. Even the same hard drives. Point here is you don't NEED a MacPro although be nice but again depends on what type of speeds your looking for. I need speed in a travel box and my unit does a great job. I have a IQ 160 coming and currently have the P40+ and I do very very well with the P40 in processing speeds. Better than some older MacPro's. I'm a working Pro that shoots a lot and processes for clients on the road a lot so speed is essential or i get a lot less sleep and i don't sleep to begin with. LOL