The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

"Beauty and The Beast" (CFV and RZ get married)

fotografz

The Beast is back !

Using a $300. Phase One V adapter to Mamiya RZ, I've pressed the old War Horse back into active duty usng the CFV back set to Flash Sync in the menu.

Why you say? It's a monster you say?

Because The Mamiya RZ offers a host of lenses that stand up and bark with the best of them ... AND has stuff like the T/S adapter to use with Short Barrel 75mm and 180mm lenses to control perspective and DOF while retaining infinity focusing and without adding any X lens factor, or the excellent fisheye, or 210 and 250 APOs, or the 180 with swappable Imagon type apertures for variable soft focus that cannot be duplicated in PS ... all for the price of one lens for other systems :rolleyes:

This "fat Pixel" back really sings with these lenses :thumbs:

If you have a CFV, troll the sell sites ... whole RZ systems are for sale for next to nothing.

Here's some goofing around with the T/S adapter while I was setting this up to see how it performed ... no CA or color shift even at the most extreme settings.

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Marc,
Couldn't agree with you more about the RZ. It's a wonderful workhorse camera and the lenses (which are great) are so cheap you can almost melt them down, sell 'em for scrap metal and get your money back :) This is also a natural for Mamiya mount Phase owners although the adapter is a bit more than $300. I think our friend Jack has one of these in his future. I know he's had one in his past.

fotografz

Marc,
Couldn't agree with you more about the RZ. It's a wonderful workhorse camera and the lenses (which are great) are so cheap you can almost melt them down, sell 'em for scrap metal and get your money back :) This is also a natural for Mamiya mount Phase owners although the adapter is a bit more than $300. I think our friend Jack has one of these in his future. I know he's had one in his past.
Yeah, it was an adapter my dealer had sitting around to use a Phase back with V mount on an RZ. I think it was originally like $1,500.

When using the CFV, I don't need the connectioning cord to the RZ's electronic release. It's just a sync cord from the lens to the back. If I ever decide to get a 645 Phase Back ... I'm ready :thumbup:

PSon

Marc,
Yes it is the Hasselblad 40 CFE IF - Hasselblad PC Mutar 1.4x - Hasselblad to Contax Adapter - Contax III Mutar 1.4x - Contax to Canon Adapter - Canon 1Ds Mark III.

Best Regards,
-Son

PSon

Son,
Couldn't see that image for a few days but WOW it's a big one... good too.
David,
I was not aware that the image was not showing until yesterday someone wants to know the image of the Phase P25 back on the Mamiya RZ67 Pro IID.

Forgive me for the big image from my own server but the RZ67 Pro IID is a big camera and it took huge image.

Best Regards,
Son

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Marc, Son and David:

You've almost convinced me :)

I "borrowed" David K's RZII-D and ZD adapter plate... With that set-up, my Phase back (or any other Mamiya AFD mount back) will connect directly to the RZ-D camera without cables (THAT is huge :D). So I also "borrowed" an RZ 180 and Tilt-Shift adapter. Must say this combo looks pretty promising. I've owned and used the RZ in the past, so this is kind of a "no-brainer" as a back-up/studio body. More later :D

David K

Workshop Member
Looking forward to seeing some images Jack. If it works out for you I've got a couple of lenses left :)

PSon

Jack,
If I own Mamiya/Phase One 645 Digital Back or even Hasselblad V mount back I would also own the RZ67. I love the rotating back for studio works with the huge focusing screen. There are so many professional photographers who love this system.

Best Wishes,
-Son

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Peter is smiling because he is the new owner of an awesome RZ-D outfit :)

David K

Workshop Member
I can see it now... Peter and Mark posting awesome RZ pics while Jack and I sit and wonder why we didn't keep the damn thing :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I can see it now... Peter and Mark posting awesome RZ pics while Jack and I sit and wonder why we didn't keep the damn thing :)
Yeah, no kidding ---- I've been sitting here having EXACTLY that same thought...

:eek:

PeterA

David/Jack - thanks for your help.

Marc - I always appreciate your help mate- and I know you know the system inside out -:)

Going back to the city tonight from farm so I will put my thinking cap on - expect a flurry of emails guys! LOL

Pete