The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Talk Me Off the Ledge

JPlomley

This has been an incredibly beneficial learning experience, derived from each and every one of your comments, and is the reason that questions like this are best posed on GetDPI. I truly appreciate the wealth of experience and talent which has so generously been provided. I have much to think about over the coming weeks, and fortunately the M system holds its value so its not as if I need worry about depreciation while I ponder a decision. Overall, my gut is telling me to find alternative sources of funding as opposed to selling my existing systems. At one point I was contemplating taking my Arca Swiss 4x5 system to Cuba for the "Beautiful Decay" project were it not for the shear attention it would draw. I would not expect the S2 to replace the IQ I can achieve from drum scanned tranny or fine grained B&W emulsions such as PanF or Acros-100, but it sure would be more convenient in places such as Cuba and Bulgaria, and as mentioned would deliver a very nice exhibition print size. In proper light, I suspect it could successfully be pressed into duty for street photography where one wishes to include a good portion of the environment.

Glen, many thanks for mentioning the Cuba work. The digital M is indeed one wild beast to tame, but boy does she deliver the goods when everything is properly optimized (RF and lens calibration) and the image files massaged to taste. Here's hoping the next FW iteration finally nips any existing red edge issues in the bud.

I've included a few links below illustrating the sort of street work I do. For the discrete approach, clearly the S2 is not the right fit. But there are many instances where the subject is fully aware of my presence, and in these instances it really does not matter what camera one holsters. This will most certainly be the case in Bulgaria where I will be focussing on Hands of Hardship and Hope.

Cheers,
Jeff

http://www.jeffplomleyphoto.com/#portfolio

http://blog.leica-camera.com/guest-...fry-plomleys-journey-to-the-raw-state-part-i/

http://blog.leica-camera.com/guest-...plomleys-journey-continues-in-havana-part-ii/

JPlomley

Forgot to add a request.....

As it was last year I evaluated the S2 and an ICC profile was unavailable, I was hoping to process some of those files in COP v6, but am not a registered S2 owner. Any chance that anyone with an S2 could shoot me the ICC profile. Email would be fine ([email protected])

Many thanks,
Jeff

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
I have seen your work in LFI, Jeff. What you do with a Leica M in color is inspiring. I would hate to see you give that up, whatever else you do.

R

richard.L

perhaps a test of your current system....

you use it well. you think you need bigger to make bigger.

make a big print of one of your favorites. live with it a month. let others look at it. lie to some. say it was with an S2. tell others it was with...

do they care, do they notice, do they believe you...

how much do you crop your finish image...

these are some of the first questions I'd ask myself. And always return to what the "print" or whatever looks like, to you.

I'm with most of the others about not having only one system.

In the end, if you must have the S and that means selling everything, even your dog, then so be it. (You can always steal a loyal dog back :) in the dead of the night. wear black, carry bacon.)

I'm prone to telling people if they have only one choice, they have no choice; but that was a different career. :)

richard. too cheap to make easy decisions easily.

S

Shelby Lewis

If the M9 didn't punch above it's level (IQ wise) as well, this would be a potentially (slightly,lol) easier decision... but let's face it, the IQ from it has so much more going for it than just megapixels. MF doesn't automatically get you that (although it many cases it definitely does).

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I wanted some assurance that Leica would deliver on their promise of a 24mm lens. Was also hoping to see at least one T/S by now.
I wouldn't be betting any money on it ...even if they "make" one, how long afterwards can you actually get your hands on it?

If you are needing this for architecture, lots of other options, including used backs, tech cameras, or hassie/phase systems. Lots of used phase backs hitting the market soon ...

JPlomley

Richard, Shelby, and Wayne, cheers for your additional comments. I'm now exploring all the possibilities, including hauling the LF gear to Cuba and just drum scanning the results. I would need to revisit working with color neg however for the increased dynamic range over tranny. This I wrestle with as I have just never been a fan of color neg film.

Jeff, I sold my M7II and eventually bought one back again when the chance came up, I don't use it that much, but I love that camera more than any other. M9, wow, you might regret selling that too. I couldn't part with mine, although I've been carrying around a Nex5 with a cron ASPH on it for the past few weeks. It's not disappointing I can tell you, so maybe there are possibilities there. Keep your favourite Leica glass. The CV 15 4.5 is incredible for architecture and I've used it for a few jobs very successfully. I also shoot LF, a toyo that can go down to 45mm without changing the bellows. I hope to slowly obtain some digital lenses for it and still awaiting the mamiya adapter for a digital back. If it helps at all I went for a cheap deal on a MF back with the 645DF (DM33). I also obtain a 45N 2.8 lens and this is also great for architecture. I think you should take a look at these kits, take one apart, pull the lens of and take the back off, given the gear (and amazing experience) you have, I think you'll be on a different ledge, but one that you can take your time, something complimentary to what you have that you can take your time over building up, rather than a whole new system. The older Mamiya lenses work great (at least with the meagre 33MP that I have), the older 645N bellows have tilts and shifts, there's an in body shutter and there are also tilt/shift lenses (caveat I have not tried these yet).

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Excellent Advice! I had the opportunity to try the P 67 55/4 on the 645D and was surprised at its performance. docmore mentioned he's awaiting the P 67 400 f4 EDIF lens and thats one Pentax lens I've seen and handled but not shot with. I would be interested in knowing his opinion of its performance on the S2.

Dave (D&A)
Dave,

I was outbid on this P67 400 EDIF so I am still hunting for a good one...I may decide to buy a 300 EDIF .... one or the other not both.:cry:

Bob

D&A

Dave,

I was outbid on this P67 400 EDIF so I am still hunting for a good one...I may decide to buy a 300 EDIF .... one or the other not both.:cry:

Bob
Hi Bob,

Sorry to hear you were outbid on the 400 EDIF. I used to own and shoot with the P67 300 f4 EDIF when I was shooting Penatx 67. It was a fabulous performing lens, all things considered...especially when used a stop down from max. aperture. As you probably know, intended use will mostly determine which of the two lenses to go for. One big consideration is the 400f4 EDIF is approx twice as heavy and much bigger than the 300 f4 EDIF...so if hiking is involved, that would be a determining factor. Good luck and keep us posted.

Dave (D&A)

docmoore

Dave,

Based on your and Scott's input I have a 300 EDIF on the way from Japan...

Thanks,

Bob

tsjanik

Dave,

Based on your and Scott's input I have a 300 EDIF on the way from Japan...

Thanks,

Bob
I don't think you'll be disappointed. Dave is spot on; the 300 is very light (for 67) and the 400 is too heavy to go far from the car. The 300 is very good even at f/4 and has very nice OOF areas. Here's an example from a few days ago; 300mm ED, 645D, f/4 or 5.6.

Tom

docmoore

I don't think you'll be disappointed. Dave is spot on; the 300 is very light (for 67) and the 400 is too heavy to go far from the car. The 300 is very good even at f/4 and has very nice OOF areas. Here's an example from a few days ago; 300mm ED, 645D, f/4 or 5.6.

Tom
Very nice...no evidence of chromatic abberation.

Beautiful pic also.

Thanks,

Bob

JPlomley

It's been about a year since I demoed the S2 and can't recall if their is a focus confirmation light in the viewfinder when manually adjusting focus?

Jeff, there is not a focus confirmation light in the viewfinder when manually adjusting focus. At least there isn't one now. Maybe Leica can find a way to provide focus confirmation when they release their adapters for alternate lenses.

Actually, the split prism focusing screen will be plenty good enough for manual focusing when it becomes available (should be soon). I borrowed a Hasselblad 350 CF for a trip to south Florida and was able to manually focus even with the lens stopped down to f8 - f11. Granted that was in bright Florida sun, but still I was impressed that the S2 viewfinder was bright enough to allow manual focus with the lens stopped down. I didn't miss focus point very often.

docmoore

Jeff and Mark,

I am a bit confused...there is a focus confirmation with Leica S lenses in manual focus. Just not with non-Leica adapted lenses. See P 9 of the PDF instructions on the S2 item 2.9B

I think that the thread has diverged a long way from your original questions and am not sure if you meant manual focus with Leica or non-Leica lenses.

We have workmen tearing out a tub and shower - jack hammering the floor with dust and debris everywhere so my S2 is in the safe or I would mount my 70 to confirm this.

Apologize for hijacking the thread earlier and taking it off track. If you do not have the PDF let me know I will email it to you.

Bob

Ben Rubinstein

I'm confused. The reason you didn't want an S2 was no wide and no t/s. That hasn't changed and neither have your needs. Both Hasselblad and Phase One seem to have a solution (does Pentax have their 28mm and any legacy t/s lenses available?). I'd also echo Guy's comments, not as a medium format shooter but as a pro photographer, if you don't have backup when you go abroad (and you won't if you sell everything else) then you might as well not bother. I can see Murphy laughing already...

glenerrolrd

Workshop Member
Ben

Take a look at the 2nd paragraph which outlines his specific requirements ...finish his book on Cuba (taken with Leica M s) and shoot location portraits in a small village for a future print exhibit. Those assignments fit his possible use of the S2. (as well as other MF alternatives).

Doubtful that the Cuba book requires a deadline as this is 2nd or 3rd trip and its a personal project . Personally I would finish that project with my M9 s as I favor images that have a similar look and feel . Or I might take the S2 and the M9s and see what works. Seems like a reasonable backup plan for this situation.

The village portraits looks like more of a one chance opportunity where equipment failure might be more of an issue . This looks ideal for MF of any flavor but its not the core of his typical shooting. (see his work on Cuba). This assignment is as much about location lighting than the camera lens combination. And if you are doing this without help ..you have much bigger issues than redundant equipment. The equipment choices here seem to be very specific and may not be repeated ....so he may have to rent or compromise. He has a better chance of losing all his equipment than having it breakdown. You have to have a strong sense of purpose to take a MF system (with backup) and location lighting into a remote village .

The core arguments raised are all valid..(1) if its important you need a backup plan (2) buying and selling expensive systems for specific assignments rarely makes sense. (3)stretching to get the most expensive MF system (of any type) without recognizing the inherent requirements of the assignment (lighting etc) and costs may not yield the best results.

If he decides that MF really has to support what his view camera is used for is quite a bit different from replacing his M s .

Sounds like two dream assignments .

I'm confused. The reason you didn't want an S2 was no wide and no t/s. That hasn't changed and neither have your needs. Both Hasselblad and Phase One seem to have a solution (does Pentax have their 28mm and any legacy t/s lenses available?). I'd also echo Guy's comments, not as a medium format shooter but as a pro photographer, if you don't have backup when you go abroad (and you won't if you sell everything else) then you might as well not bother. I can see Murphy laughing already...