The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Talk Me Off the Ledge

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
No argument on the need for a backup strategy and that having a single S2 is very extreme . (and not recommended). The difference in a professional assignment ...is that you have your reputation on the line and a timetable .. Like a location wedding you don t get a “hall pass” and you need the backup ready to go . Same for a commercial shoot.

On this assignment he has money ,time and some invested emotional capital....important but not quite the same .

Personally I would rather have 2 bodies of the same type so that all the gear would have natural backups . (batteries,chargers,cards etc) .

But really he has to make some compromises to pull it off. If he goes with a single S2 ....then he has to assume the risk .
Agreed. Personally for me i would have that little cheap backup body for my DF so if my body went down which is more likely than anything else in my system I would have that but still have a Sony handy on this gig.

Shashin

Jeffry, thanks for the update--it seems your landing was soft. And thanks for your blog article.

David K

Workshop Member
Looks like you got talked off the ledge all right... by someone down below :) Best of luck with the new kit.

JPlomley

Thanks David. I'll be sure to post some images here at GetDPI once I have some stick time with the system. It's been a long 13 months since my initial evaluation so will have some re-learning to do.

PeterA

Congratulations on your new device Jeff - I will be interested to see how you use it.

Pete

JPlomley

Thanks Pete. After going through the S2 image posts here at GetDPI, I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on that puppy again. I predict a long and prosperous love affair. Just keeping my fingers crossed they launch the 24mm in early 2012. Otherwise, I will need to learn the art of stitching.

fotografz

My interpretation of the general drift in this thread: don't buy an S2 unless you can afford 2 bodies. Ouch!
Read the thread again. The general advice was to NOT sell everything to get a S2 as the OP was considering ... that it is never wise to go on assignment with one camera no matter what camera. As a result, the OP did get the S2 and did keep his Leica M9 and three lenses.

Not very many MFD users have two of them. I have one H4D/60 not two. Granted, if it goes down, I have a S2P to back it up, if that goes down, I have a Sony A900 or M9.

However, I do not travel with all this stuff ... whatever I choose to take, I usually do exactly as the OP plans ... a M9 and two or three lenses. I just went back East to do a bunch of family photos with the S2 kit and small M9 kit and never even touched the M9.

BTW, on a related note:

I sent my S2P in to fix an accident that was my fault ... I dropped the box off at FedEx at 2:30PM ... at 9:05AM the next morning a S2P loaner was delivered to my door. I left to go East the next day. Hard to beat that unless you live near a rental house.

-Marc

tom in mpls

No, I didn't say the OP is advised to sell everything. Franky, I don't know what OP should do. However the message I am getting is that if you buy an S2 and want to have backup, get a second body. I assume that few professional photographers would see it as a wise expenditure, though. My point is only that everybody is talking about how you're going to have backup. Lots of different answers, but they all involve lugging along a second system. This seems to be a serious issue with the S2 because with any other system a backup body won't break the bank.

Or another way of putting it, there is lots of advice here for having a backup system, with the tacit awareness that the best approach, that being a second body, is a financial back breaker. "Since a backup body is a nonstarter, what's a person do do for backup?"

My initial reply was a bit tongue in cheek, as the pricing of the S system is causing such havoc amongst those who want to buy or already own one. It looks like such a lovely system, and is so much simpler than the other MFD systems, but I must enjoy the S2 only vicariously.