Site Sponsors

Thread: shift/rise/fall vs. tilt/swing

Post Thanks / Like

shift/rise/fall vs. tilt/swing

I do not know if this is a stupid question, but I read in many places about the different "issues" when applying shift/rise/fall. However I do not find any comments on any problems when applying tilt or swing. Does this mean that tilt/swing is a non-issue and can be played to its full potential without bumping into nasty colourcasts or other artifacts? Does imagecircle also play a role on how much tilt/swing that can be applied?
    Thanks for clearing up this
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: shift/rise/fall vs. tilt/swing

There are only a few tech cameras that allow for lens tilt, and even fewer users using them, probably why you don't hear much about it. A pure lens tilt -- one whose axis is on the optical center-plane of the lens -- will not directly alter the angle of the light path as it strikes the sensor, so theoretically if a centered and zeroed lens did not require an LCC, neither should the tilted lens. However... First off, very few of the existing tech cameras that tilt will offer a pure tilt, so will likely impart some amount of shift and their own brand of color cast associated with it. Second, many lenses impart a color cast even when zeroed and centered (especially short focals), it just isn't always prominent enough to be noticed in a typical image -- but shoot the LCC for that frame and you can often read several points of color cast across the frame.

So my bottom line reco is this: If you shoot a tech cam and want the ultimate in image integrity, ALWAYS shoot the LCC even when you're totally zeroed. If you shoot a tech cam that is always centered and zeroed, a-la the Alpa TC, then at least shoot a set of standard LCC's for each lens aperture you regularly use so you can measure and see they'll be needed.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A lens tilt does not affect the sensor in regards to color cast, but will start putting less desirable areas of the image circle in the image.

A sensor tilt will cause a color cast as it increases the angle light strikes the sensor, although it can remain in the lenses sweet spot.

But both are a matter of degree rather than tilting is simply bad. Most things can be corrected.

The image circle of the lens just defines how much room there is for movement.

BTW, I always do an LCC with my Phase backs regardless of the camera movements.
    Last edited by Shashin; 7th June 2011 at 14:11.

Post Thanks / Like

Excellent! I appreciate very much your detailed answers It helps a lot!!!!
    Alpa FPS MAX TC | Alpagon 32Hr | Helvetar 75 | Schneider 120N | Leaf Aptus II 5 Leaf Credo 60 | www.danlindberg.com