The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Kirk or RRL for H body?

J

JVS

I've owned both L plates in the past for my dslr gear but wanted to ask the group, which do you own / prefer for your Hasselblad H system?

The RRL plate has more surface area but the Kirk looks like it provides easier access to the left side of the camera.

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Udo

JVS,

I am using the RRS L-plate on an H-body, and use more RRS brackets on other cameras. All of them are excellently machined and finished parts.

There are two things which bother me with the Hassi-RRS-combo.
1) When the L-bracket is mounted to the H-body it is difficult to press and turn the silver button on the body's left hand side in order to detach the back. It is possible, but takes a bit of patience.
2) The bracket has to be removed when working with the HTS and its original spacer. I have not yet worked out an alternative solution.

Since I have never worked with a the Kirk bracket I cannot comment on this.

Regards,
Udo

J

JVS

Hi Udo,

Thanks for the input!

I ended up ordering the Kirk L plate since it seems a little more "access" friendly. I'll be sure to report back here after shooting with it.

Thanks again!

P. Chong

the Kirk plate blocks access to the flash sync port on the left.

And also hinders the back release button, though with a little practice, its ok to release the back.

I did try and mount the HTS on my camera with the Kirk plate on, and it is possible.

TimothyHyde

Subscriber Member
I have and use both. The Kirk makes a nice compact package and works better with the HTS 1.5, but you really need to take it off to remove the back, and it won't work at all with the GIL GPS and is very difficult to connect pocket wizards or sync cords. The RRS, using the second hole so the unit protrudes a bit, allows the GIL GPS (with a slight modification discussed elsewhere in GetDPI), and works fine with Pocket Wizards and you can remove the back without removing the L Bracket. I also like the fact that the RRS, in effect, provides a second handle for the camera on the left side.
tim

RodK

Has anyone tried the Arca Swiss bracket which allows for adjustment? The mounts are able to be slid side to side and locked in place.
802306 is number.
It is an excellent bracket and not camera specific, so several cameras can be sharing the bracket.

Last edited: