The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Major Phase One Issue

johnnykurtz

:confused:

Hello all,

I am shooting in Dresden Germany now and have a huge problem that hope some wizard like person here on GetDPI can answer.

I traveled from Utah (home) with my P1 645 AF and P40+ back. After shooting around the city and Elbe valley for a few day under very easy conditions, my shutter has stuck closed.

I have tried removing and replacing the back, batteries (both back and camera, various lenses, tried me Mamiya remote (the long one) cleaned all contacts and even drank a fine glass of Montepulciano

Noting is releasing the shutter. I hear a slight motor sound when I depress the shutter button fully and the AF works great. The mirror will not go up as well, but this should be normal as it syncs with the shutter.

Please, please, any insight will be greatly appreciated. One good thing is I am closer Denmark now, but really do not want to send it off.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just a couple quick things. Make sure bottom switch M,S,C is fully engaged on one of them. Not stuck between them. Same with upper dial not stuck between buttons.

Now try this . No lens on. body on remove back does the mirror go up. Than does it engage when you put p 40 back on when you turn camera on it should pop the mirror back up and recycle the shutter.

First try those. Does it actually shoot but getting dark frames

johnnykurtz

Guy,

I just followed your path, to no avail. Yes it does shoot dark frames, and all I hear is a "servo" motor sound.

Thank you for your guidance.

Just a couple quick things. Make sure bottom switch M,S,C is fully engaged on one of them. Not stuck between them. Same with upper dial not stuck between buttons.

Now try this . No lens on. body on remove back does the mirror go up. Than does it engage when you put p 40 back on when you turn camera on it should pop the mirror back up and recycle the shutter.

First try those. Does it actually shoot but getting dark frames

Last edited:

johnnykurtz

HAPPY!!!! I tinkered a bit more.

After the fifth and last glass of Montepulciano, plus rubbing with a dull Ikea knife along the P40+ contacts, it whirled, chirped and opened the garage door.

All seems well, at least I think. Now it only cost me 17€ for the bottle and the knife was free with the flat.

I will see what tomorrow holds.

stephengilbert

"After the fifth and last glass of Montepulciano, plus rubbing with a dull Ikea knife along the P40+ contacts, it whirled, chirped and opened the garage door."

You shouldn't have done both. Now you'll never know whether it was the wine or the contacts.

johnnykurtz

Stephen,

I am going with, the Montepulciano opened my mind to the dull knife, this always worked with my paintings as well. Seems to be a formula for many artist and tinkerers, to expand the consciousness that is.

This is my story and I am sticking with it!

Tschüss, from Dresden.

"After the fifth and last glass of Montepulciano, plus rubbing with a dull Ikea knife along the P40+ contacts, it whirled, chirped and opened the garage door."

You shouldn't have done both. Now you'll never know whether it was the wine or the contacts.

tashley

Subscriber Member

Quite. One of Life's Great Mysteries was within our grasp and now is lost forever!
:D:D:D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Great news . Now maybe get some Q tips some rubbing acholol or one of those cleaning agents and just clean all your electronic contacts.

Analog6

But if you have too much you'll forget what you were doing in the first place, or, if you are like me, go off into :sleep006:

Good to be remined of cleaning the contacts as a first port of call for difficulties (touch wood, haven't had any yet).

D&A

Don't use rubbing alcohol. Use an alcohol that is purer and has no additives. I buy Everclear from the liquor store. It's about as pure as you can buy here in the US and leaves no residue. Rubbing alcohol leaves a residue. I don't know what the equivalent would be in Europe.
Exactly...or purchase 91% Isopropal alcohol in any pharmacy or drug store and apply with Q-tips...which also does the trick.

Dave (D&A)

kit laughlin

Subscriber Member
I am seconding Graham on the contact cleaner pen; these have a small adjustable glass-fibre tip (so, arranged in the pen like many sticks of wood tied together, and you rub with the end of the 'bundle'). Using the pen on contacts roughs up the brass microscopically, and always make a perfect contact.

Montepulciano
: better than Everclear!

Guy, I looked up that ROR: that looks great, and I will be ordering that along with whatever I next buy from B&H!

joegl

Stephen,

I am going with, the Montepulciano opened my mind to the dull knife, this always worked with my paintings as well. Seems to be a formula for many artist and tinkerers, to expand the consciousness that is.

This is my story and I am sticking with it!

Tschüss, from Dresden.

Hey Jonny,

if your problems will return, i do live in Leipzig wich is 90 km away and I do have an 645 DF an p30+ combo if you do need help

Good luck

Joerg

Kai Birkigt

And if you are heading to Munich, I just came back home from Paris and could help you out with Phase or Mamiya gear also.

I had the same problems with a DF and P65+ btw. My Dealer couldn't fix it, so it was sent to Denmark, because it reoccured again and again (sorry for this).

Kai