Site Sponsors

Thread: How good is the Aptus 22 Back

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How good is the Aptus 22 Back

Can you give me the pros and cons of this back. thanks dennis

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How good is the Aptus 22 Back

just got mine, and am just getting set up to really shoot with it (hopefully have enough juice left for my shoot on tuesday before the charger arrives this week sometime). definitely will be watching this thread. haha.

having fiddled with it some...its not the fastest horse in the race, especially compared to 35mm digital.

with careful processing, i'm surprised how usable ISO 400 is.

and maybe i'm biased, since i just spent the money on one, but i'm amazed at the dimensionality of details. i'd never previously noticed the roundness of blackheads on a nose.

can't wait to sift through files on wednesday. will update here with more thoughts.

Post Thanks / Like

I really like being able to use 25 ISO.
    At 100 ISO, I prefer the files I get from the Aptus 22 to those of the Nikon D3X, so when in a situation where 35mm DSLR handling is not necessary, I use the MF.
    Moire is quite an issue with this back. Fortunately C1 recently introduced localized moire corrections.
    The worst part about the Aptus is that the battery cannot be attached while tethering, and we must rely on firewire to provide the power, which is usually insufficient. I can only solve this by using a powered firewire repeater between my macbook and the back, unnecessarily complicating the hookup.

Post Thanks / Like

if you don't want to shoot at hight iso
    or long exposure
    or textile (moiré ! )

This back is quite good !

Shelby Lewis

For you guys (me included) shooting sub-30mp and fighting moire... check this out http://www.vimeo.com/23508129

I think the aptus 22, RZ67 combo is a fantastic one... I shoot an aptus II 6 (28mp), but the files I've seen from the 22 in tandem with the RZ glass have always been impressive to my eye.

Post Thanks / Like

I shoot an RZ with the Aptus II 7 (33MP) and I just love it. If I really want more than ISO 400 outdoors I really should be shooting my DSLRs.