The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Why No Longer Hassie Zoom?

David Schneider

I'm sure there are technical and economic reasons, but why isn't there a longer zoom for the H system?

I'm a studio photographer so a zoom about 75-150 or 80-170 or 90-200 would be wonderful.

David Schneider

The two zooms for Mamiya are lighter in weight than my Canon 70-200 so adding the weight of shutter, larger elements, housing, etc. I just don't believe it's a weight issue. And since a zoom like that is more likely to be used in a studio on a camera stand than on-location, weight is not that much of an issue.

Analog6

The 50~110 weighs 1.6 kgs and it hasn't stopped it being my carry around (lug around) lens for the H2 for landscape work. I even shoot surfing with it on a monopod. So weight wouldn't worry me.

Graham Mitchell

I'm curious why a studio photographer wouldn't just use primes lenses. I also doubt a second zoom would have such an overlap with the 50-110, so the 75-150 doesn't seem likely to me. And a much longer zoom such as a 120-240 is probably not going to be economically viable given cost of R&D and production versus potential sales.

David Schneider

I'm curious why a studio photographer wouldn't just use primes lenses.
Graham,

I have a 35, 100, 150, 210 so I have primes. All great. To answer your questions, on days when I have five sessions back to back with high school "seniors" (those graduating) the more different sets I can do with them, the greater is my sales potential. My studio is geared for speed so there are a number of backgrounds up around the studio, plus changing to new backgrounds is pretty fast. Additionally, I'll go outside the studio on my grounds for a few minutes of outdoor sets even if it's a 30 minute or 60 minute session. Not having to change lenses would be a help in saving time.

Stan Lawrence

My h4d 40 arrives tomorrow, with the 35-90.....David, which model are you using? Do you have preference for a studio prime? One last question, which cards are you using? Thanks