The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

645DF Says "no db" but DB appears Fine

cs750

I have developed a problem and hope it is just something stupid I have done or failed to do. My mirror seems to be stuck in the up position. I have the IQ180 DB on the camera and it appears to be working fine. But when I push the shutter release the message "no db" comes up. Any thoughts or suggestions? Charles

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I have developed a problem and hope it is just something stupid I have done or failed to do. My mirror seems to be stuck in the up position. I have the IQ180 DB on the camera and it appears to be working fine. But when I push the shutter release the message "no db" comes up. Any thoughts or suggestions? Charles
On the IQ180 try [Menu > Firmware > Restore], then cycle the power of the back and body.

If that doesn't work try downloading the 1.19 firmware from phaseone.com for the IQ180 and installing (or reinstalling) that.

Then call your dealer in the morning. Which if I'm not mistaken is us!

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Did you clean the contacts on DF to back. Your DF seems to be not making the electrical contact so the mirror won't cycle.

I'm not sure about the IQ but my leaf will do something similar if I have it set for large format and forget to change it back to afd/df. As I say I don't know if IQs have the same camera setting.

cs750

PROBLEM SOLVED Doug at Capture Integration nailed the problem which was a glitch between earlier firmware and 1.19 firmware; the most recent download seemed to have been further contaminated in some way by my desktop computer. When I downloaded the 1.19 firmware to my laptop and followed Doug's instructions the most recent DB firmware installed imediately and seems to have solved all problems. Doug is a great asset to Capture Integration. Charles

Guy Mancuso

PROBLEM SOLVED Doug at Capture Integration nailed the problem which was a glitch between earlier firmware and 1.19 firmware; the most recent download seemed to have been further contaminated in some way by my desktop computer. When I downloaded the 1.19 firmware to my laptop and followed Doug's instructions the most recent DB firmware installed imediately and seems to have solved all problems. Doug is a great asset to Capture Integration. Charles
You bet he is.

kdphotography

I saw this thread earlier and thought glad that I was not having any issues with my IQ180. Murphys Law struck and I had a similar issue with the 645DF and IQ180 at upper antelope today : mirror locked no db message. I believe my issue was caused by me accidentally leaving the DF body on or accidentally turned on in my pack. No db message was frustrating as the DF and IQ180 combo had been smooth so far.
Disconnected 35mm D; removed DF battery; removed back; removed back battery. All functions reset and mirror released and all works normally now. Fyi firmware is 1.19. Ken.

cs750

Ken, my issues were definitely not caused by the same problem you describe since each time I attempted to load firmware 1.19 the DB would state "firmware update failed" or words to that effect. But what ever caused your problem could happen to any of us in the field caused by our own error; so, I appreciate your posting your solution which is one that can used in the field. Charles

vjbelle

I believe that I may have been the first to have this issue. I received my IQ180 last week and within one day had the same issue you are describing. Dave handed the issue to Doug who was convinced that I had a bad body. I was shipped another body and the issue was not resolved. Everyone was convinced that my back was DOA and paperwork was put into place. I decided, as a lark, to re-install the firmware..... and that resolved the "NO DB" issue. I would much prefer a software glitch to a hardware glitch.

Victor

cs750

Victor, I agree completely I would rather have a software problem than a hardware problem. I think some software "hiccups" are a part of everything involving computers and usually appear at the leading edge of the life of a product dependent on software. The folks at Capture Integration were all over this problem and probably learned a lot with yours. Charles

cunim

Same problem with "no DB" on IQ180. Downloaded back firmware and reinstalled. All is well.

Thanks for the tips.

Guy Mancuso

I had it also but cleaned contacts and low battery on body. Seems okay now but did not reinstall firmware. Shot this morning all seems just ducky. This is on a 160

Going to install firmware on extra CF card to carry around just in case. Let's report these folks so we can pass this info on. We seem to have a trend going that we should be reporting.

cs750

Guy, I agree with you it might be a good idea to carry a CF card with the most recent firmware update on it...particularly when shooting away from home. My impression from talking with Doug is that a valid update should eliminate any problem in the future. Everyone should remember the notes with the firmware upgrade very clearly state the back should be removed from the camera in order to update the firmware. I am not sure why that is required, but if the back is not removed...I would think it could result in a problem. Attempting to update the firmware from a CF card while away from your compter notes could result in "forgetting" the back should be removed before attempting the update. Charles

Tim Ernst

Another IQ 180 with the same issue here, on an AFD II with mirror/shutter locked up, etc. - contacts and battery were fine, had to reinstall the firmware on the back and it fixed the problem, for now. I found it kind of funny that the memory card I used and now carry in the camera bag with just the firmware on it for the next time this happens is the same card that came with my original phase back many moons ago - it was always too small to use in the camera for anything, but now I finally found a use for it...