The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Youtube for publicizing your work?

gurtch

Not sure where I should post this. Please move it if you wish.

Has anyone used Youtube or Facebook to help publicize their work? I live on a barrier island that is a summer vacation resort. I sell matted and framed seascapes, all taken locally. I also produced a 39 minute DVD Slide Show of my Long Beach Island (LBI) photos. Although the DVD show has been well received, it has had a limited audience. Most of my DVD sales are via word of mouth. In an attempt for a wider audience, I made a VERY condensed Show (8.5 minutes), and put it on Youtube. I figured "what the heck, it's free, what can I loose?" My first and only Youtube effort is here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-wrfyQ6z1A&fmt=18
What are your thoughts?
Best regards
Dave Gurtcheff
Beach Haven, NJ

Graham Mitchell

First thought: have you read the T&Cs of Facebook's user agreement? You are giving them a licence to use anything you upload, in any way, and in perpetuity. Not good!

gurtch

Graham: Didn't know that...I have posted many of my seascapes on Facebook. Of course only my FB Friends see them, but knowing FB has a license is, indeed, disturbing to say the least.
Thanks very much
Dave

Graham Mitchell

Deleting the images doesn't terminate the licence, just so you know - they have it for good. If I ever upload anything to Facebook, it is very low res and has a big watermark over it to ruin it for any other use.

As for as I know, it's the biggest single rights grab in history.

gurtch

Thanks again Graham. I do only upload very low res pics(usually 72 dpi, and about 6 inches long dimension). I have not done "watermarks". Can this be done in Photoshop? Do they show on the image posted?
Thanks
Dave

Graham Mitchell

I've been making the watermark very obvious - that's the whole point. Here's an example, though I think I should actually cover the entire image with a 'copyright pattern' in future to be safe :)

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Deleting the images doesn't terminate the licence, just so you know - they have it for good. If I ever upload anything to Facebook, it is very low res and has a big watermark over it to ruin it for any other use.

As for as I know, it's the biggest single rights grab in history.
I think deleting the content does end the licenses ...here's their statement.

For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

Not sure what does it mean "shared with others and they have not deleted it." I don't think many actually download an image and share it with someone else.

anyway, still seems pretty wide open, but to me a bigger issue isn't facebook using it, it's someone else downloading it and using it. The largest thing I put on facebook is about 500px wide, not even good enough for a desktop background for most people, or just a link to my blog which then only has a thumbnail.

Graham Mitchell

Oh, I see that the terms were changed again 2 months ago. It used to read:

You hereby grant Facebook an irrevocable, perpetual, non-exclusive, transferable, fully paid, worldwide license (with the right to sublicense) to (a) use, copy, publish, stream, store, retain, publicly perform or display, transmit, scan, reformat, modify, edit, frame, translate, excerpt, adapt, create derivative works and distribute (through multiple tiers), any User Content you (i) Post on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof subject only to your privacy settings or (ii) enable a user to Post, including by offering a Share Link on your website and (b) to use your name, likeness and image for any purpose, including commercial or advertising, each of (a) and (b) on or in connection with the Facebook Service or the promotion thereof. You represent and warrant that you have all rights and permissions to grant the foregoing licenses.
But it's still pretty bad. The "shared with others and they have not deleted it" part covers them in the event that the work has been transferred or sub-licensed, so the effect is the same.