Site Sponsors

Thread: Amazing Sony Update - POne ... Pleaaaaase?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Amazing Sony Update - POne ... Pleaaaaase?

I don't know if you've seen this yet, so I created a little video demo of the latest Firmware update to the Nex5.

If Phase One can pull off something like this with Live View, my order will go in for a new back tomorrow!!! This would make using the Alpa an absolute dream. Focus confirmation on the DF replacement, forget it. Here's the link. http://youtu.be/UPQroziHz-M

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Amazing Sony Update - POne ... Pleaaaaase?

Paul, thinking about upgrade already? I don't know how much longer I can hold out after trying out the new IQ back. I hear you about GG focusing. .

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The focus peaking on the NEX is a fantastic firmware update. I was working with it last night and confirming focus with manual focus was just so simple. Having it live on an IQ back would be incredible. However, for now on a tech camera focus mask after the shot is also working very well and already is one huge step forward.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had thought the focus mask on the IQ was during live view? Isn't it?
    I am not a painter, nor an artist. Therefore I can see straight, and that may be my undoing. - Alfred Stieglitz

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rubinstein View Post
    I had thought the focus mask on the IQ was during live view? Isn't it?
    Live view is not yet functional on IQ backs. Not clear if focus mask will be a live view feature.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice. That's exactly what I've been asking Leica to do with the M10, but they could also put it in a 'retina' display which you see large and bright through a viewfinder so that you can still have the camera up to your face, and see the image in bright conditions.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I bet it won't and I don't tink liveview will be usable in normal conditions. You will have to wait at least two more years for that.

Post Thanks / Like

Yat, I haven't yet tried or even fondled, ahem, sorry I mean handled one of those new backs yet, and cannot help but think about it.

Terry, I am hoping that something like this is what's taking so long for live view to appear!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by wentbackward View Post
    Terry, I am hoping that something like this is what's taking so long for live view to appear!
    From the tidbits I've heard, I would not rest my hopes on it. As Christopher said, live view seems like it is going to be somewhat limited in its capabilities.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would say limited is still nice. I would put it more like usless for most users for outdoor work. I do not plan to carry a huge ND filter with me, just so that I can drain the batteries in turbo mode. ;-)

I think there are much better and important things to put into these great backs. I would take things like. Auto zoom 1:1 on a new shot, 1:1 switching between 2-3 shots woithout rendering time. This would be much more helpful and amazing, compared to useless liveview.

Post Thanks / Like

Is the Sony a CMOS or CCD sensor as if that technology was in a MFD back I'd order on today. Amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

does anyone know when is the iq update?

Post Thanks / Like

Gazwas, it's a Sony Exmore (exmoor, something like that anyway) CMOS sensor.

The leaf back I have can at least run live view without overheating (tethered), but I suspect the sheer volume of data would require significant processing.

In further testing of the Sony, it seems to struggle with very fine details, the accuracy is not very high, so I don't think this is a solution, for example, to achieve optimum infinity focus, but would be brilliant on say a handheld TC Or similar. The focus peaking is not available when zoomed in using the normal manual focus tools.
    Last edited by wentbackward; 26th June 2011 at 18:52. Reason: Tethered

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This is indeed like every camera should focus today - and even with a manual lens with no electronic connection, so the camera/chip does it all.
    Very cool ! I was already looking into getting one but decided to wait for the new updated "Nex5 CX5 ?" but now I am very tempted to get it _NOW_.
    I have a bag full of beautiful small Olympus lenses waiting to go on there with a tilt adapter. Can you imagine how nicely tilt will fall into place with this when applying it ?.......

Greetings from Munich
    Stefan

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wentbackward View Post
    In further testing of the Sony, it seems to struggle with very fine details, the accuracy is not very high, so I don't think this is a solution, for example, to achieve optimum infinity focus, but would be brilliant on say a handheld TC Or similar. The focus peaking is not available when zoomed in using the normal manual focus tools.
    That's not my experience after some testing this weekend.

accuracy: I put it medium or low and don't go for just any peaking but look for the maximum at the point you want to focus (just like normal focussing). Just seeing a red or yellow outline doesn't mean it's sharp, you really have to adjust for the maximum signal to achieve optimum focussing. Some peaking outside the "accepted" dof does occur (especially in bright highlights)

fine detail: one of my MF lenses focusses "beyond" infinity and focus peaking clearly sees this and can be used to adjust the focus ring using for instance a distant tree line (which usually has lots of fine detail)

zoomed in: focus peaking works fine when zoomed in 7x or 14x on the LCD, even better than in full sensor view, because if you see a peaking outline there it usually is well within the dof range.
    Last edited by pegelli; 4th July 2011 at 04:40. Reason: Added some words for clarity (wrote OP shortly after waking up :) )

Post Thanks / Like

pegelli, Wow thanks for pointing this out ... I found that two things were causing it to not render. Firstly I had set the colour to red and secondly I normally shoot digital cameras in B&W mode albeit with a RAW file. After setting things back to Medium and White for peaking and to STD for the colour, things are showing as you describe!! It's totally amazing. I've also found that holding it very steady with fine details may lessen the effect, some camera movement helps the peaking to show.

What's more there is another incredible feature!!! Peaking works whilst shooting video. This is ABSOLUTELY brilliant as you can focus between different spots whilst recording ... it is amazing. I basically bought the Nex for video and this just blows me away! Wow

Post Thanks / Like

You're welcome wentbackward, you also helped me forward . Never realized video would also work with peaking. I'm not a videographer, but I'm sure that knowledge will come in handy one day.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just an update - should not take long until a Nex7 - see here:

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr4-t...me-a77-sensor/

Whereas it can be questioned if using a 24Mpix sensor will improve or diminish image quality.

regards
    Stefan