The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens cast troubles – how to fix it without LCC

L

Lorri1250

Hello there

With my new Leaf Aptus-II 5 on my Hasselblad 503 CW I worked with a 40mm CF IF for Architecture inside an new built office. There was heavy mixed light in there (outside and inside).

Now I got lens cast on my back. Normally I know this only from shift/tilt, but i didn't expect it on my Hasselblad. Now I have follow trouble:

1. I didn't make any white diffuse picture to kill lens cast per LCC.

2. Normally Capture One Pro 6 goes quite well, if it knows the lens.
The lens I selected manuell inside the new software of Leaf (40mm).

3. In Capture One Pro it says the 40mm, I can select "generic", but I can't select the LCC. It's gray. With the same combination, but 80mm it knows it and works quite well, but not the 40mm.

In case, I would make some new white diffusion pics with the same aperture, iso etc. could it work? But how can I select the white diffusion image in Capture One Pro, if the LCC mode is non working?

Does anybody know, how I can remove the lens cast by any other process? I have Capture One Pro, Leaf Software (newest) and of course Photoshop CS 4/5.

Hope my english was fine enough to explain.

Thanks to all
Lorri

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
LCC is probably grayed out because you shot the image to the wrong file format. Can you check whether you're shooting to compressed or uncompressed format?

You can confirm this by taking a shot tethered into Capture One (rather than CF card) since Capture One will force it to be the correct file format.

"In case, I would make some new white diffusion pics with the same aperture, iso etc. could it work?"
Yes. Matching ISO does not matter (shoot the lowest ISO you have). Matching aperture, and general focus distance (e.g. far, mid, or near) is important.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

L

Lorri1250

Hi

Thanks for your answer.

I thought also about the wrong file format. But with the same preferences I shot also with the 80 mm, and this works. Well, it works a bit in a way, because the LCC drop down is active then. It didn't find the Hasselblad V 40 mm CFi but a Schneider and Zeiss 80mm lens. A similar lens.

If I shoot the LCC files (far mid near), how can I bring them into the file, if the LCC drop down is not working? Copy paste? Does this work?

Sorry, before I was working mostly with phocus.

Best regards
Lorri

yaya

Lorri,

Sounds like you could use a bit of handholding from your dealer to make sure you know how to remove colour cast

If you shot the files to CF card in compressed mode and did not touch them after that then C1's LCC should be enabled.

If these files go through Leaf Capture and are re-saved then LCC won't work

At this point I would suggest to use Leaf Capture since it supports and works with all file formats

See this article or in Leaf Capture go to the help menu>Leaf Capture Help and once the HTML file opens, type "calibration" in the search box and hit Search

If you still can't get it to work then I suggest that you contact your dealer or submit a support case on our website: Contact Support

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Yes it sounds like it's time to ask your dealer to give you a walk-through start to finish on LCC's. That sort of hands on (native language) assistance is one (of several) reasons products like this are sold mostly through value added dealers rather than box movers. Make them do their part!

L

Lorri1250

Thanks to all for the answer!

This was a great help:
"If you shot the files to CF card in compressed mode and did not touch them after that then C1's LCC should be enabled.
If these files go through Leaf Capture and are re-saved then LCC won't work"

Best regards
Lorri

gebseng

I have the same problem with my recently purchased Leaf Aptus 75S and Capture One 6.3.2:
I only shoot tethered, and Leaf Capture is a much better tool for that.
However, as pointed out in the earlier posts, it is not poosible then to use the LCC files in Capture One.
Is there any other workaround, except using Capture One for tethered shooting, too?

thanks,

Gebhard

yaya

I have the same problem with my recently purchased Leaf Aptus 75S and Capture One 6.3.2:
I only shoot tethered, and Leaf Capture is a much better tool for that.
However, as pointed out in the earlier posts, it is not poosible then to use the LCC files in Capture One.
Is there any other workaround, except using Capture One for tethered shooting, too?

thanks,

Gebhard
You can do the lens calibration in Leaf Capture while you shoot and the files will never have to go through LCC again, regardless of which software you use for processing

Have a look in the help menu in LC and search for "lens calibration"

Hope this helps

yair

gebseng

You can do the lens calibration in Leaf Capture while you shoot and the files will never have to go through LCC again, regardless of which software you use for processing

Have a look in the help menu in LC and search for "lens calibration"

Hope this helps

yair
Thanks for the swift reply, Yair!
I was kind of hoping to work with the LCCs in Capture One, because this allows me to uncheck the dust removal and color cast separately, and also allows preview, which is good for my workflow.

best,

geb