The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Back for the Future? IQ180 arrives...

rupho

Tim - congratulations. Sounds like ours were in the same batch - mine is now in transit to me in HK
Hi Googaliser
Greetings from HK
Not TO hijack this thread but I was wondering if your receiving GE IQ from Charles at Northlight?
Tried to PM you but no info on you.
I received mine around 4 weeks ago
Have fun with it
Let me know if you'd like to hook up
I think you must be the second one in China receiving it
Grischa

gazwas

Hartblei at F16 1/20th ISO35 on a Cube, C1 lens adjustment for Phase 45mm TS applied.
Tim, Downloaded you full size image and it is much better regarding fall off/colour shift but the edges on the RHS especially are extremely soft so not much better in use than the 35XL.

jlm

Workshop Member
for the last stitched version, i am seeing better color match across the two image halves, but a definite seam and what looks like an exposure mismatch and maybe color mismatch at the right of the center (probably in the right portion of the overlap)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Wayne, what WB setting did you apply to your image and LCC prior to rendering the LCC? And did you by any chance adjust WB for the image and not the LCC before you applied it? Finally, was the LCC frame shot immediately after the image under similar lighting conditions?

tashley

Subscriber Member
And here is the Mamiya 28mm F4.5 with full C1 corrections for that lens enabled. The sweet spot for this lens on the IQ180 seems to be F11 - anything wider is too soft and anything tighter is diffraction limited. Like the Hartblei, this is looking a little soft on the right hand side but reviewing shots from the Phase 80 and Sch/Kr110LS, I am not seeing that issue there so I think it's not a back/body fit issue - though I must say that the back is slightly less tight on the WRS than was my P65+.

Full sized JPEG available at
http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/p512009864/h2f404efc#h2f404efc

tashley

Subscriber Member
for the last stitched version, i am seeing better color match across the two image halves, but a definite seam and what looks like an exposure mismatch and maybe color mismatch at the right of the center (probably in the right portion of the overlap)
Exposure, WB and so on remained constant, but as is so often teh case, light levels (and therefore colour temperature) were varying as the clouds moved. Don't forget this is a flat stitch so no effort is put into matching the halves other than identical exposures.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
And here is the Mamiya 28mm F4.5 with full C1 corrections for that lens enabled. The sweet spot for this lens on the IQ180 seems to be F11 - anything wider is too soft and anything tighter is diffraction limited. Like the Hartblei, this is looking a little soft on the right hand side but reviewing shots from the Phase 80 and Sch/Kr110LS, I am not seeing that issue there so I think it's not a back/body fit issue - though I must say that the back is slightly less tight on the WRS than was my P65+.

Full sized JPEG available at
http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/p512009864/h2f404efc#h2f404efc

Think of the Phase 28mm as a 30mm on a FF sensor. You can give up a few Mpx. LOL

Guy Mancuso

Yup . I get that thinking very well. I kept my 35mm D and did not switch to the 28D.

But I'm after a 28mm on a Cambo or Arca. I will test one next week and see how it does with my sensor. Waiting for all you 28mm lens shooters to start giving them away. ROTFLMAO

gazwas

I'd never realised how soft the 28D was at the edges. :eek:

I've only tried one on a P40+ and never noticed this but on the full frame its pretty poor for such and expensive lens. Don't remember the Hasselblad 28 I tested being as soft as this.

Guy Mancuso

There is corner sharpness which helps but yes count on a 30mm lens. Yes us P40+ folks are spoiled we see none of this. Certainly was on my mind going FF

tashley

Subscriber Member
Fun with the Hartblei: the aim was to get the rim of the bowl in the foreground in focus, then try to get everything in the room at about that height in focus too, with everything else OOF, using nothing but the viewfinder and then focus check and zoom as I did the Scheimpflug manoeuvre...

It didn't take more than four shots to nail it! When you zoom in, the wedge of focus is very close to exactly where I wanted it.

The file is corrected in the lens panel and then there's keystone, bit of straightening and a crop. Still over 65mp!

I'm having fun!

Guy Mancuso

Exactly what i said before just use it like a Polaroid until you get what you want maybe 4 shots and you got it. Now in all honesty and my view is this, live view would not buy me much if you work like this in mind and honestly by the time you did the four shots would it truly be slower working than live view. My bet not at all.

Good job Tim and as you can see how nice that UI really is in person. The key for me is the usability and taking out guess work and in return confirmation of what you did and faster working. On a paying gig this is a monster to the shooter. Reason I bought it was I know I nailed it before packing up. Too me that is priceless, well almost. LOL

vjbelle

General speed and consistency and UI are great BUT on a lens like the Hartblei with MF and manual aperture, using MUP leads to failed fires about half the time, for no apparent reason, and you have to turn the camera on and off (sometimes twice) before it will unlock the mirror for another try. I am almost certainly doing something wrong but I don't know what.
Tim,

I also suffer from the MUP failed fires...... two different bodies so there is definitively a communication failure with the IQ180 and the DF.

Victor

Terry

Tim. Congratulations. I will go through this whole thread when I get back home but so far it seems like you are as we say in the US "a happy camper".

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
You LCC shots with the 35xl are consistent with what Im seeing. In terms of overcorrecting falloff i use the slider in C1 to back off of falloff correction.

I've done about 50 images with the xl on a loaner IQ 180. Based on my experience and the mtf curves there is little or no scope for shifts with a 40x54 back. The lcc corrections work very well for me. You ned one for every setup because different ambient light seems to produce different lccs.

Its an overstatement to say that the inability to shift renders this lens useless. I like it unshifted in my Alpa TC very well.

Based on mtf curves the R 32 doesnt seem to offer much more scope for shift.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I've only tried one on a P40+ and never noticed this but on the full frame its pretty poor for such and expensive lens. Don't remember the Hasselblad 28 I tested being as soft as this.
Yeah the extreme edges on the FF sensors get pretty wonky. It's really mostly those last few mm. Did you test the Hassy 28 on the H4D-60 or one of the 1.1 crop sensors?

Would also need to check if you had corner sharpening on (Phase) or DAC corrections on (Hassy) to make sure you're comparing the best (or uncorrected - either way) version of each.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

tashley

Subscriber Member
You LCC shots with the 35xl are consistent with what Im seeing. In terms of overcorrecting falloff i use the slider in C1 to back off of falloff correction.

I've done about 50 images with the xl on a loaner IQ 180. Based on my experience and the mtf curves there is little or no scope for shifts with a 40x54 back. The lcc corrections work very well for me. You ned one for every setup because different ambient light seems to produce different lccs.

Its an overstatement to say that the inability to shift renders this lens useless. I like it unshifted in my Alpa TC very well.

Based on mtf curves the R 32 doesnt seem to offer much more scope for shift.

I agree Woody: I will be saving shifts for B&W work only though I think there might be a little bit of room for rise in the setup, though I have yet to get near a tall enough building to try it out! Actually the Hatblei is quite good for rise if you rotate it away from its weaker side - or at least it was on the p65+. The real question for me is, now I can't really do shifts on the tech cam, what will I do about it.

Hmmm...

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
I agree Woody: I will be saving shifts for B&W work only though I think there might be a little bit of room for rise in the setup, though I have yet to get near a tall enough building to try it out! Actually the Hatblei is quite good for rise if you rotate it away from its weaker side - or at least it was on the p65+. The real question for me is, now I can't really do shifts on the tech cam, what will I do about it.

Hmmm...
The 47 xl permits 15 - 17 mm. The 72 is about the same. I'll post samples next week when I get back from Italy.

Btw the resolution fall off with the 35 xl is a factor before you run into the zone of blue death.