The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Alpa/P45+ Images

PeterL

Thanks for posting Bob, wonderful images and nice to read your approach as well. A few questions, how did you find working with the Alpa T/S adapter? Did you use tilt in any of the images you've shown? And if so how much?

Thanks, -Peter

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Beautiful images Bob!

I was thinking of swapping my Max for the STC eventually, but since you described the bubble level need, I think I may re-evaluate. I appreciate your detailed shooting notes and the IMAGES!!

Darr
Darr the new IQ backs with the artificial horizon make these levels almost obsolete now. Also I never fell into the assimilation of the cube and now it is even more remote that i would buy one. The back does a amazing job of getting square and level. It's pretty dang cool I have to say.

Thierry

Dear Darr,

It can't reasonably be a reason for your choice, can it? There are probably more important arguments to put in the balance.
But in any case, the Max is my favorite, so no harm for me.
:)

Best
Thierry

Beautiful images Bob!

I was thinking of swapping my Max for the STC eventually, but since you described the bubble level need, I think I may re-evaluate. I appreciate your detailed shooting notes and the IMAGES!!

Darr

Last edited:

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Darr,

I did the Max to STC transition and dont regret it at all in terms of the extra convenience of the small camera with shifts/lift. Much easier to pack and less of sail when used in windy conditions. You do of course lose the ultimate flexibility of being able to combine both shifts and rise/fall and the associated larger stitching ability. I did like that in the Max although seldom used them myself. In an ideal world I'd have both the STC and Max ...

Like Guy I use the level in the back more than I use either the body or CUBE levels. I just wish that there was a shortcut key to get to it vs navigating the menu each time on the P40+. I find that I have to look down on the STC body level vs viewing it in a portal on the Max although the level on my STC is more accurate than either the Cube or Max.

rga

Bob

Thank you for posting this. I made your image nr. 6 my desktop image immediately, this sight makes everydays work calmer and more pleasant.
This also makes me wish I had more time to go out and shoot my P45+ on landscape again. (I think I should try this weekend)

regards and greetings from Munich

Stefan
Hi Stefan,
Thank you. No greater compliment than someone looking at you image every day!
Do go out; good for the soul, good for the camera. I'd like to see some of your work. I'd also like to photography the area where you live!! Perhaps someday after I pay all this off... ;)
Bob

rga

Thanks for posting Bob, wonderful images and nice to read your approach as well. A few questions, how did you find working with the Alpa T/S adapter? Did you use tilt in any of the images you've shown? And if so how much?

Thanks, -Peter
Hi Peter,
I used it quite a bit. As a matter of fact, I was surprised how much more I used the 80 over the 35. I think it's because the shifting makes the 80 into about a 53mm in 6x6 terms.

The T/S was terrific; I used it in images nr. 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 and 8. Just about every shot. Using it with shift was perfect; great near/far capabilities. As I'm not familiar (and probably not patient enough) for focus blending, the tilt worked perfectly.

I also liked the fact that I could turn it 90 deg to make it a swing adapter too. Though I didn't end up with many images using this swing approach, I will work on it more. I'll use the swing with rise fall.

Finally, being able to put the tilt on either the front (lens) or rear (back) side gives me more options on controlling perspective. Using it on the rear slightly emphasizes the foreground, which I often like. But sometimes (in the river shot, that isn't desirable so putting it on the front works best.

Hope this helps,
Bob

rga

Beautiful images Bob!

Darr
Hi Darr,

To me the overriding factor of the STC to the Max is the weight. When you're tromping about for miles, every ounce counts.

I hope to someday get the Max too, as I would love to do the kind of 2 dimensional stitching it allows.

Don't make too big of an issue with my leveling comments. Basically I ended up using the leveling bubble on my tripod head and it worked fine. We should probably add "and horizon leveling" to the phrase "Close only counts with horse shoes, hand grenades and dancing"...

Best,
Bob

jotloob

Subscriber Member
. . . . . .
Like Guy I use the level in the back more than I use either the body or CUBE levels. I just wish that there was a shortcut key to get to it vs navigating the menu each time on the P40+. I find that I have to look down on the STC body level vs viewing it in a portal on the Max although the level on my STC is more accurate than either the Cube or Max.
No sprit level reading of any gear like CUBE , ARCA , ALPA or whatever camera or QR gear of any brand you use , compares to another .
Many scenes do not require a very precise leveling , but some , for example in architecture photography , do .

My method with the ALPA STC is , that I ignore the reading of CUBE or STC and use my EBISU CRYSTAL LEVEL and measure directly at the camera body . 3 ways ! ! ! if required .
Have a look to EBISU CRYSTAL LEVEL ED-10CLS in internet .
Leveling this way takes a bit more time , but is very precise , as much as you can achieve with a 10cm long spirit level .
If you use an ALPA with a Short Barel lens , it is very easy .

rga

Bob,

Got it, although an additional bubble built in the camera is not on the list. Another solution would be to use one's own spirit level as described in the below pics.

Best
Thierrz
Thanks Thierrz. Many choices out there. I've always used a hotshoe bubble level with my 35mm. When I used the Flexbody with film, I would just place it on the rear standard of the flexbody as you're suggesting with the STC. Not a big deal at all; just something I noticed as I hadn't brought a bubble level with me.

I used, as a tripod head, the Acratech GPs. It's a great head for doing panorama's as the bubble level allows you to keep the camera level as you turn it. It also holds weight up to around 25 lbs which was more than enough for the Alpa/Phase setup. So I just used that bubble level and it worked fine; no problems.

As I said, certainly not a huge reason to disregard the STC; the long list of STC benefits far outweigh this minor "issue", if you can say it even rises to the level (no pun intended) of an issue.

Best,
Bob

jotloob

Subscriber Member
Bob,

Got it, although an additional bubble built in the camera is not on the list. Another solution would be to use one's own spirit level as described in the below pics.

Best
Thierrz

Yes exactly that is like the ED-10CLS spirit level and how I use it .

Thierry

Yes, me too, I found it to be a wonderful piece of accessory, nicely thought. It's easy to use and allows all possible combinations, with or without perspective changes.

Thierry

Hi Peter,

The T/S was terrific; Using it with shift was perfect; great near/far capabilities.

I also liked the fact that I could turn it 90 deg to make it a swing adapter too.

Finally, being able to put the tilt on either the front (lens) or rear (back) side gives me more options on controlling perspective. Using it on the rear slightly emphasizes the foreground, which I often like. But sometimes (in the river shot, that isn't desirable so putting it on the front works best.

Bob

darr

Darr the new IQ backs with the artificial horizon make these levels almost obsolete now. Also I never fell into the assimilation of the cube and now it is even more remote that i would buy one. The back does a amazing job of getting square and level. It's pretty dang cool I have to say.
Thanks Guy. The more I read about the IQ backs, the more I watch the stock market! :)

darr

Dear Almeda,

It can't reasonably be a reason for your choice, can it? There are probably more important arguments to put in the balance.
But in any case, the Max is my favorite, so no harm for me.
:)

Best
Thierry
Thierry,
I love the Max, but I am a petite female and I am always looking to upgrade to less-weight gear as it becomes available. BTW, my first name is Darr. Almeda is my last name. :) (I am not in the military, so please call me Darr).

I am glad Alpa has a rep here on the board!

Kind regards,
Darr

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Bob,

very nice series! I love the high country shots especially, as that is one of my favorite places int eh world to just "be."

Question on image 4 --- it appears you have a bit of color cast in the sky. Do you process with C1 and did you do an LCC?

darr

Darr,

I did the Max to STC transition and dont regret it at all in terms of the extra convenience of the small camera with shifts/lift. Much easier to pack and less of sail when used in windy conditions. You do of course lose the ultimate flexibility of being able to combine both shifts and rise/fall and the associated larger stitching ability. I did like that in the Max although seldom used them myself. In an ideal world I'd have both the STC and Max ...

Thanks Graham for the info. I too do not use all the movements all the time with the Max, but I do want to be able to stitch. It seems we find our necessities after we have a little to trim off. The new backs excite me as I see new possibilities for shedding some weight from my bag besides the better technology!

Kind regards,
Darr

darr

Hi Darr,

To me the overriding factor of the STC to the Max is the weight. When you're tromping about for miles, every ounce counts.

I hope to someday get the Max too, as I would love to do the kind of 2 dimensional stitching it allows.

Don't make too big of an issue with my leveling comments. Basically I ended up using the leveling bubble on my tripod head and it worked fine. We should probably add "and horizon leveling" to the phrase "Close only counts with horse shoes, hand grenades and dancing"...

Best,
Bob
Thanks! Your images are wonderful!

Thierry

My mistake, my apologies, Darr

Kind regards
Thierry

Thierry,
I love the Max, but I am a petite female and I am always looking to upgrade to less-weight gear as it becomes available. BTW, my first name is Darr. Almeda is my last name. :) (I am not in the military, so please call me Darr).

I am glad Alpa has a rep here on the board!

Kind regards,
Darr

rga

Bob,

very nice series! I love the high country shots especially, as that is one of my favorite places int eh world to just "be."

Question on image 4 --- it appears you have a bit of color cast in the sky. Do you process with C1 and did you do an LCC?
Hi Jack,

Yes and yes HOWEVER, I just went back and saw I associated the wrong LCC profile with the 3 images (this was the 35mm with the sensor in landscape orientation and left/center/right shift.

I've redone the image (you may have to refresh the web page to see the new one):
http://www.rgaphoto.com/GT/content/Marsh_Pano_large.html
I think there's a little less color cast now, though there is still a bit. I also corrected the white balance a bit more (I usually use a color checker but for some reason didn't with this venue). As a final excuse, I put these together without too much refinement; if I print any I'll be going back to do more work.

Thanks for the input Jack,
Bob

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Definitely looking better now, but as you say, still a bit there. Very nicely seen :thumbs: