Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 53

Thread: Alpa/P45+ Images

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Alpa/P45+ Images

    First field trip with a new Alpa STC and 35 and 80mm lenses. Up at 10,000' + in the eastern Sierra's for 7 days.

    Both Alpa and back were flawless (more than I can say for myself). Conditions were tough; bright light (nary a cloud) and shooting between 11am and 3pm as we hiked each day about 3mi each way. Trails were blocked with snow and the altitude was wearing.

    Images here:
    www.rgaphoto.com/GT

    Great combination; great performers. Wonderful kit for backpacking.
    Best,
    Bob

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Denmark, Copenhagen
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Hi Bob,
    Great images. Thanks for sharing.
    Jean-Luc

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    21

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Bob, I enjoyed your images and liked the two of the swollen creek next to Golden Trout Camp. Charles

  4. #4
    Member nightfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    66
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    I like #3 in particular!

    How many P45+ batteries did you take with you for the week?

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Thanks all for the kind comments.
    I took 3 batteries with me, but at most went through about 85% of one of the batteries in a day.
    Again, thanks,
    Bob

    Quote Originally Posted by nightfire View Post
    I like #3 in particular!

    How many P45+ batteries did you take with you for the week?

  6. #6
    Senior Member Thierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    There are some very nice images, Robert, congratulations.
    Could you tell us a bit more about the technical side for the some images (lenses used, f-stops, possibly tilt for DoF, problems to solveetc ...).

    Best regards,
    Thierry

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Shashin's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,497
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    141

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Ah yes, the "Marsh Shooter" tends to flock in groups. A rare bird indeed.

    Beautiful images.

  8. #8
    Subscriber Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Napa
    Posts
    362
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    173

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Great images. Like the creek by the camp best, and oh, the look down into the valley. I am not sure my knees and lungs are up to that anymore....

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by TH_Alpa View Post
    There are some very nice images, Robert, congratulations.
    Could you tell us a bit more about the technical side for the some images (lenses used, f-stops, possibly tilt for DoF, problems to solveetc ...).

    Best regards,
    Thierry
    Hi Thierry.

    Firstly I'm just delighted that Alpa is participating, via you, on this forum. Thanks for diving in!

    On to your question.. Well, I didn't take notes but I can tell you what I remember.

    All images except 3,4 and 9 were taken with the 80mm APO Digitar. Images 3, 4 and 9 were taken with the 35mm APO Digitar with center filter. All images, except the flower by the river, were taken with full L/R shift and then stitched and cropped as needed. The Alpa made that really easy with it's zero detent. Then I just shifted all the way over to the left and right. Usually the sensor was placed in portrait orientation.

    The camera body was the Alpa STC with the T/S adapter for the 80mm. I could not afford the Alpa ground glass kit with mask, so I use the ground glass attachment from my Hassy Flexbody with the Rmfx finder. This works well on the 80mm, but doesn't on the 35mm. The fresnel lens darkens very quickly from the center. I finally tried my Hoodman on the Flexbody ground glass and found I could move it around (with my hat covering the top to stop light leakage) and see the entire image to compose and frame. Seems to have worked OK, though not as elegant as the Alpa solution. Also, I have no mask for my back, so guestimating where the image would end was difficult. Perhaps I can get a mask for the P45+ that will fit on the Flexbody ground glass??

    Basically before I left for the trip I did a lot of testing regarding the best fstop to use and what my hyperfocal distances were. Essentially f11.3 provides the best hyperfocal range for both lenses. Placing infinity at just inside f8 with the 35mm gives me an in-focus range of 8 feet to infinity. With the 80mm T/S it's a different story, but I do always shoot at f11.3 if I want maximum DOF.

    The primary difficulty I encountered was when I wanted to use rise/fall rather than L/R shift. When you use rise/fall, the leveling bubbles no longer work for leveling the horizon. There is a leveling bubble for the horizon on the lens (stationary) side of the camera, but you have to walk around to the front to see it. Taking an image on the side of a river or cliff makes this impossible. And you can't turn the body around as that places the lens on the side that is rising and falling which moves the lens not the back. So an additional leveling bubble for this purpose on the moving side would really be helpful.

    I did not use any focus layering. I guess I could have with the 35 (as my closest distance was about 9 feet), but I didn't as I'm not too familiar with it. I'll practice.

    Finally, non-Alpa related, I found the P45+ to have an amazing (to me) dynamic range. Usually I carry a bunch of ND filters, graduated and hard, of various densities. I have found this essential landscape photography. I took none of these with me and truly did not find a scene where I felt the P45+ could not handle the DR to my satisfaction. Simply amazing after shooting chrome for all these years.

    Pretty long winded (:sleep006, but that's about how it happened. Both camera and back were a joy to use. The kit was exceptionally light compared to my Hassy or 4x5 with the same focal lengths. Most photographers at the outing were very impressed with the kit's light weight. All and all it's an exceptional system for this type of photography.

    Thanks for asking and I hope this is what you were looking for.
    Best,
    Bob

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    60
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Thank you for posting, and sharing. I'm not in any position to own P45+, but it's always great when people share, and I'm very appreciative of that.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by sirimiri View Post
    Thank you for posting, and sharing. I'm not in any position to own P45+, but it's always great when people share, and I'm very appreciative of that.
    My pleasure. I feel very fortunate (and debt laden) to be able to use this system...
    Best,
    Bob

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    455
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    My pleasure. I feel very fortunate (and debt laden) to be able to use this system...
    Best,
    Bob
    Debt expires and gets paid, great images are forever :-)

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by richardman View Post
    Debt expires and gets paid, great images are forever :-)
    Oh I like that!

  14. #14
    New Member ChrisN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Lovely images! I suspect the descriptions of the HDR and non-HDR versions of the swollen creek image might be swapped.
    Chris

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
    Lovely images! I suspect the descriptions of the HDR and non-HDR versions of the swollen creek image might be swapped.
    Hi Chris,
    I checked and they are labeled correctly.
    Thanks,
    Bob

  16. #16
    New Member ChrisN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    15
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    My apologies! Obviously I can't read the difference in the images correctly! Cheers!
    Chris

  17. #17
    Senior Member Thierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Thanks Bob, for the explanations, that's what I was looking for.
    Best
    Thierry

    Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    Hi Thierry.
    Thanks for asking and I hope this is what you were looking for.
    Bob

  18. #18
    Senior Member Stefan Steib's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Lindenberg im Allgäu
    Posts
    1,294
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Bob

    Thank you for posting this. I made your image nr. 6 my desktop image immediately, this sight makes everydays work calmer and more pleasant.
    This also makes me wish I had more time to go out and shoot my P45+ on landscape again. (I think I should try this weekend)

    regards and greetings from Munich

    Stefan

  19. #19
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Beautiful images Bob!

    I was thinking of swapping my Max for the STC eventually, but since you described the bubble level need, I think I may re-evaluate. I appreciate your detailed shooting notes and the IMAGES!!

    Darr
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

  20. #20
    Senior Member Thierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Bob,

    Got it, although an additional bubble built in the camera is not on the list. Another solution would be to use one's own spirit level as described in the below pics.

    Best
    Thierry

    Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    There is a leveling bubble for the horizon on the lens (stationary) side of the camera, but you have to walk around to the front to see it. Taking an image on the side of a river or cliff makes this impossible. So an additional leveling bubble for this purpose on the moving side would really be helpful.
    Bob
    Last edited by Thierry; 1st July 2011 at 11:29.

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    291
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Thanks for posting Bob, wonderful images and nice to read your approach as well. A few questions, how did you find working with the Alpa T/S adapter? Did you use tilt in any of the images you've shown? And if so how much?

    Thanks, -Peter

  22. #22
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Beautiful images Bob!

    I was thinking of swapping my Max for the STC eventually, but since you described the bubble level need, I think I may re-evaluate. I appreciate your detailed shooting notes and the IMAGES!!

    Darr
    Darr the new IQ backs with the artificial horizon make these levels almost obsolete now. Also I never fell into the assimilation of the cube and now it is even more remote that i would buy one. The back does a amazing job of getting square and level. It's pretty dang cool I have to say.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  23. #23
    Senior Member Thierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Dear Darr,

    It can't reasonably be a reason for your choice, can it? There are probably more important arguments to put in the balance.
    But in any case, the Max is my favorite, so no harm for me.


    Best
    Thierry


    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Beautiful images Bob!

    I was thinking of swapping my Max for the STC eventually, but since you described the bubble level need, I think I may re-evaluate. I appreciate your detailed shooting notes and the IMAGES!!

    Darr
    Last edited by Thierry; 1st July 2011 at 13:37.

  24. #24
    Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vancouver, WA
    Posts
    5,799
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    564

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Darr,

    I did the Max to STC transition and dont regret it at all in terms of the extra convenience of the small camera with shifts/lift. Much easier to pack and less of sail when used in windy conditions. You do of course lose the ultimate flexibility of being able to combine both shifts and rise/fall and the associated larger stitching ability. I did like that in the Max although seldom used them myself. In an ideal world I'd have both the STC and Max ...

    Like Guy I use the level in the back more than I use either the body or CUBE levels. I just wish that there was a shortcut key to get to it vs navigating the menu each time on the P40+. I find that I have to look down on the STC body level vs viewing it in a portal on the Max although the level on my STC is more accurate than either the Cube or Max.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

    As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

  25. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
    My apologies! Obviously I can't read the difference in the images correctly! Cheers!
    I take it as a compliment to how I do HDR; I try not to overcook it and seems I accomplished that.

    So I thank you!
    Bob

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Stefan Steib View Post
    Bob

    Thank you for posting this. I made your image nr. 6 my desktop image immediately, this sight makes everydays work calmer and more pleasant.
    This also makes me wish I had more time to go out and shoot my P45+ on landscape again. (I think I should try this weekend)

    regards and greetings from Munich

    Stefan
    Hi Stefan,
    Thank you. No greater compliment than someone looking at you image every day!
    Do go out; good for the soul, good for the camera. I'd like to see some of your work. I'd also like to photography the area where you live!! Perhaps someday after I pay all this off...
    Bob

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    Thanks for posting Bob, wonderful images and nice to read your approach as well. A few questions, how did you find working with the Alpa T/S adapter? Did you use tilt in any of the images you've shown? And if so how much?

    Thanks, -Peter
    Hi Peter,
    I used it quite a bit. As a matter of fact, I was surprised how much more I used the 80 over the 35. I think it's because the shifting makes the 80 into about a 53mm in 6x6 terms.

    The T/S was terrific; I used it in images nr. 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 and 8. Just about every shot. Using it with shift was perfect; great near/far capabilities. As I'm not familiar (and probably not patient enough) for focus blending, the tilt worked perfectly.

    I also liked the fact that I could turn it 90 deg to make it a swing adapter too. Though I didn't end up with many images using this swing approach, I will work on it more. I'll use the swing with rise fall.

    Finally, being able to put the tilt on either the front (lens) or rear (back) side gives me more options on controlling perspective. Using it on the rear slightly emphasizes the foreground, which I often like. But sometimes (in the river shot, that isn't desirable so putting it on the front works best.

    Hope this helps,
    Bob

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Beautiful images Bob!

    I was thinking of swapping my Max for the STC eventually, but since you described the bubble level need, I think I may re-evaluate. I appreciate your detailed shooting notes and the IMAGES!!

    Darr
    Hi Darr,

    To me the overriding factor of the STC to the Max is the weight. When you're tromping about for miles, every ounce counts.

    I hope to someday get the Max too, as I would love to do the kind of 2 dimensional stitching it allows.

    Don't make too big of an issue with my leveling comments. Basically I ended up using the leveling bubble on my tripod head and it worked fine. We should probably add "and horizon leveling" to the phrase "Close only counts with horse shoes, hand grenades and dancing"...

    Best,
    Bob

  29. #29
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    . . . . . .
    Like Guy I use the level in the back more than I use either the body or CUBE levels. I just wish that there was a shortcut key to get to it vs navigating the menu each time on the P40+. I find that I have to look down on the STC body level vs viewing it in a portal on the Max although the level on my STC is more accurate than either the Cube or Max.
    No sprit level reading of any gear like CUBE , ARCA , ALPA or whatever camera or QR gear of any brand you use , compares to another .
    Many scenes do not require a very precise leveling , but some , for example in architecture photography , do .

    My method with the ALPA STC is , that I ignore the reading of CUBE or STC and use my EBISU CRYSTAL LEVEL and measure directly at the camera body . 3 ways ! ! ! if required .
    Have a look to EBISU CRYSTAL LEVEL ED-10CLS in internet .
    Leveling this way takes a bit more time , but is very precise , as much as you can achieve with a 10cm long spirit level .
    If you use an ALPA with a Short Barel lens , it is very easy .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by TH_Alpa View Post
    Bob,

    Got it, although an additional bubble built in the camera is not on the list. Another solution would be to use one's own spirit level as described in the below pics.

    Best
    Thierrz
    Thanks Thierrz. Many choices out there. I've always used a hotshoe bubble level with my 35mm. When I used the Flexbody with film, I would just place it on the rear standard of the flexbody as you're suggesting with the STC. Not a big deal at all; just something I noticed as I hadn't brought a bubble level with me.

    I used, as a tripod head, the Acratech GPs. It's a great head for doing panorama's as the bubble level allows you to keep the camera level as you turn it. It also holds weight up to around 25 lbs which was more than enough for the Alpa/Phase setup. So I just used that bubble level and it worked fine; no problems.

    As I said, certainly not a huge reason to disregard the STC; the long list of STC benefits far outweigh this minor "issue", if you can say it even rises to the level (no pun intended) of an issue.

    Best,
    Bob

  31. #31
    Subscriber Member jotloob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    KEMPTEN / GERMANY
    Posts
    1,513
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    116

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by TH_Alpa View Post
    Bob,

    Got it, although an additional bubble built in the camera is not on the list. Another solution would be to use one's own spirit level as described in the below pics.

    Best
    Thierrz

    Yes exactly that is like the ED-10CLS spirit level and how I use it .
    Regards . Jürgen .
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  32. #32
    Senior Member Thierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Yes, me too, I found it to be a wonderful piece of accessory, nicely thought. It's easy to use and allows all possible combinations, with or without perspective changes.

    Thierry

    Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    Hi Peter,

    The T/S was terrific; Using it with shift was perfect; great near/far capabilities.

    I also liked the fact that I could turn it 90 deg to make it a swing adapter too.

    Finally, being able to put the tilt on either the front (lens) or rear (back) side gives me more options on controlling perspective. Using it on the rear slightly emphasizes the foreground, which I often like. But sometimes (in the river shot, that isn't desirable so putting it on the front works best.

    Bob

  33. #33
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Darr the new IQ backs with the artificial horizon make these levels almost obsolete now. Also I never fell into the assimilation of the cube and now it is even more remote that i would buy one. The back does a amazing job of getting square and level. It's pretty dang cool I have to say.
    Thanks Guy. The more I read about the IQ backs, the more I watch the stock market!
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

  34. #34
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by TH_Alpa View Post
    Dear Almeda,

    It can't reasonably be a reason for your choice, can it? There are probably more important arguments to put in the balance.
    But in any case, the Max is my favorite, so no harm for me.


    Best
    Thierry
    Thierry,
    I love the Max, but I am a petite female and I am always looking to upgrade to less-weight gear as it becomes available. BTW, my first name is Darr. Almeda is my last name. (I am not in the military, so please call me Darr).

    I am glad Alpa has a rep here on the board!

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

  35. #35
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Bob,

    very nice series! I love the high country shots especially, as that is one of my favorite places int eh world to just "be."

    Question on image 4 --- it appears you have a bit of color cast in the sky. Do you process with C1 and did you do an LCC?
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  36. #36
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by GrahamWelland View Post
    Darr,

    I did the Max to STC transition and dont regret it at all in terms of the extra convenience of the small camera with shifts/lift. Much easier to pack and less of sail when used in windy conditions. You do of course lose the ultimate flexibility of being able to combine both shifts and rise/fall and the associated larger stitching ability. I did like that in the Max although seldom used them myself. In an ideal world I'd have both the STC and Max ...

    Like Guy I use the level in the back more than I use either the body or CUBE levels. I just wish that there was a shortcut key to get to it vs navigating the menu each time on the P40+. I find that I have to look down on the STC body level vs viewing it in a portal on the Max although the level on my STC is more accurate than either the Cube or Max.
    Thanks Graham for the info. I too do not use all the movements all the time with the Max, but I do want to be able to stitch. It seems we find our necessities after we have a little to trim off. The new backs excite me as I see new possibilities for shedding some weight from my bag besides the better technology!

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

  37. #37
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    980
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    Hi Darr,

    To me the overriding factor of the STC to the Max is the weight. When you're tromping about for miles, every ounce counts.

    I hope to someday get the Max too, as I would love to do the kind of 2 dimensional stitching it allows.

    Don't make too big of an issue with my leveling comments. Basically I ended up using the leveling bubble on my tripod head and it worked fine. We should probably add "and horizon leveling" to the phrase "Close only counts with horse shoes, hand grenades and dancing"...

    Best,
    Bob
    Thanks! Your images are wonderful!
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

  38. #38
    Senior Member Thierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    My mistake, my apologies, Darr

    Kind regards
    Thierry

    Quote Originally Posted by darr View Post
    Thierry,
    I love the Max, but I am a petite female and I am always looking to upgrade to less-weight gear as it becomes available. BTW, my first name is Darr. Almeda is my last name. (I am not in the military, so please call me Darr).

    I am glad Alpa has a rep here on the board!

    Kind regards,
    Darr

  39. #39
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Bob,

    very nice series! I love the high country shots especially, as that is one of my favorite places int eh world to just "be."

    Question on image 4 --- it appears you have a bit of color cast in the sky. Do you process with C1 and did you do an LCC?
    Hi Jack,

    Yes and yes HOWEVER, I just went back and saw I associated the wrong LCC profile with the 3 images (this was the 35mm with the sensor in landscape orientation and left/center/right shift.

    I've redone the image (you may have to refresh the web page to see the new one):
    http://www.rgaphoto.com/GT/content/M...ano_large.html
    I think there's a little less color cast now, though there is still a bit. I also corrected the white balance a bit more (I usually use a color checker but for some reason didn't with this venue). As a final excuse, I put these together without too much refinement; if I print any I'll be going back to do more work.

    Thanks for the input Jack,
    Bob
    Last edited by rga; 1st July 2011 at 17:09. Reason: Posted redone image.

  40. #40
    Sr. Administrator Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Los Altos, CA
    Posts
    10,486
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1031

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Definitely looking better now, but as you say, still a bit there. Very nicely seen
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

    "Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

  41. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Definitely looking better now, but as you say, still a bit there. Very nicely seen
    Thanks Jack and thanks for your noticing the color cast.
    Best,
    Bob

  42. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    291
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    Hi Peter,
    I used it quite a bit. As a matter of fact, I was surprised how much more I used the 80 over the 35. I think it's because the shifting makes the 80 into about a 53mm in 6x6 terms.

    The T/S was terrific; I used it in images nr. 1, 2, 3, 6, 7 and 8. Just about every shot. Using it with shift was perfect; great near/far capabilities. As I'm not familiar (and probably not patient enough) for focus blending, the tilt worked perfectly.

    I also liked the fact that I could turn it 90 deg to make it a swing adapter too. Though I didn't end up with many images using this swing approach, I will work on it more. I'll use the swing with rise fall.

    Finally, being able to put the tilt on either the front (lens) or rear (back) side gives me more options on controlling perspective. Using it on the rear slightly emphasizes the foreground, which I often like. But sometimes (in the river shot, that isn't desirable so putting it on the front works best.

    Hope this helps,
    Bob
    Thank you Bob for that additional information. Do you have the 6 degree or the 12 degree adapter? And I was wondering if you had anything to say about the difference between the two. I suppose the 6 degree gives better control for fine adjustments, at the expense of not allow for as much tilt/swing. Thanks again for your comments.

    Cheers, -Peter

  43. #43
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterL View Post
    Do you have the 6 degree or the 12 degree adapter? And I was wondering if you had anything to say about the difference between the two. I suppose the 6 degree gives better control for fine adjustments, at the expense of not allow for as much tilt/swing. Thanks again for your comments.

    Cheers, -Peter
    Hi Peter,
    I have the 12 degree adapter. Since I don't have the 6, I don't know the difference in degree of control between the two. The 12 came in handy as it turned the 80mm into a bit of a macro lens with good near/far.

    Best,
    Bob

  44. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    291
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    15

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Thanks Bob, good to know.

    Cheers, -Peter

  45. #45
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    180
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Hi rga,

    I had a question about your mention of the shift with the 80mm lens. You mentioned that the shift on the 80mm lens makes an equivalent 53mm lens. Can you tell me how this works? This would help me in selecting lenses for use with tilt functions.

  46. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothjazz View Post
    Hi rga,

    I had a question about your mention of the shift with the 80mm lens. You mentioned that the shift on the 80mm lens makes an equivalent 53mm lens. Can you tell me how this works? This would help me in selecting lenses for use with tilt functions.
    If you can give me an email address, I can attach the spreadsheet I made for your review.
    Best,
    Bob

  47. #47
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    SmoothJazz: we (Capture Integration) also have an automatic calculator spreadsheet where you select your digital back and lens and it will show the equivalent lens with and without stitching. Contact me at [email protected]


    Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    __________________

    Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

    National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

  48. #48
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Palo Alto, CA
    Posts
    621
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    SmoothJazz: we (Capture Integration) also have an automatic calculator spreadsheet where you select your digital back and lens and it will show the equivalent lens with and without stitching. Contact me at [email protected]


    Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    __________________

    Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

    National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
    Smoothjaz,
    Doug's MUCH more expert than I! Best to work with him.
    Best,
    Bob

  49. #49
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    252
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    ... and there is the Alpa Focal Lens Calculator:

    http://www.alpa.ch/de/products/tools...alculator.html

    Chris

  50. #50
    Senior Member Thierry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Switzerland
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Alpa/P45+ Images

    Thanks Chris, coming too late.



    Thierry

    Quote Originally Posted by cly View Post
    ... and there is the Alpa Focal Lens Calculator:

    http://www.alpa.ch/de/products/tools...alculator.html

    Chris
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •