The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasselblad has been sold

Status
Not open for further replies.
At this point and until the dust settles (months?) all I can say is that I hope that this is good for the employees. Often take-overs incur structure and personnel changes which is rarely a happy thing if you're on the payroll...

And if this leads to further growth and development in the photographic market then we should all applaud this move

Yair
- No changes in management structure.

- Already new staff added

Further growth guaranteed.

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
Seems to me that Hasselblad is fortunate to have found a deep pocket investor. Sinar was not so lucky when Jenoptic decided to exit the business. Despite recent advances I think think there is still a lot of room for improvement in the MF arena but the R&D costs are substantial. Let's hope Hassy's new owners are willing to fund them. And I'll echo Yair's good wishes for the employees of Hasselblad.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Thanks Jack!

By the way the term "regain market share" is not fair, as we are market leader in many countries around the world.
To be fair I can absolutely confirm that in various markets/countries/sub-markets the market-share is very different than global market share. There are countries for instance where Leaf is a strong #1, and others where it is #2 or #3. My perception (and David says with no released numbers you can only make educated guesses) is that Hasselblad is doing very well in SE Asia and Phase could be doing better.

These are hands-on value-added products, so the quality and history of local dealers matters a lot.

Hard for any individual user, indeed even for those of us in the industry every day, to truly gauge any of that.

David: Any idea on whether Hasselblad's annual financial statements will continue to be available through Sweeden's public-accessible financials reporting system? In other words can you confirm the investment group has simply become a majority shareholder in a company that continues to reside and HQ out of Sweeden?

Regardless definitely wish Hasselblad the best as niche markets always do the best for end-users / consumers with two (or more) strong players!

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Last edited:

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
At this point and until the dust settles (months?) all I can say is that I hope that this is good for the employees. Often take-overs incur structure and personnel changes which is rarely a happy thing if you're on the payroll...
Hey David we all have your back! If you need a write-in campaign of support we'll all sign on!! Not having you on the board would be unthinkable. :salute:

Edit: Hadn't read through end of thread...
- Already new staff added

Further growth guaranteed.
Great to hear about staffing! Seriously.

You can guarantee growth? What do you do for that, buy insurance policies on negative growth? Lol. (just making a technical joke that you can never be 100% sure of growth, glad to hear you're very optimistic and wish you and Hasselblad well)

Last edited:

nikonf

Remember when Canon was eating Nikon for lunch and photogs were dumping their Nikon DSLRs like there was no tomorrow?
Well, a funny thing happened on the way to Nikon's demise..........Nikon produced some incredible sensors and VR optics and we photographers have reaped the benefits.
It is a good thing for both manufactures to survive!
We already have enough DSLRs.
I am looking forward to Hasselblad's continued success!
All the best,
Mike

etrigan63

I personally feel that this can only bode well for Hasselblad. Ventizz is here to make money in the long term, not take Hasselblad apart and sell off the bits. I expect to see more rapid technology advances in this market now.

Quentin_Bargate

I feel the same way Christopher, I don't want Hassy to disappear as having two main players guarantees technical advancement for all customers. It's almost as though too much water has passed under the bridge for Hassy and they need a strong leap-frog in technology over Phase to regain market share I think. If Phase gets a new, state-of-the-art body out by Q4 2011 that eliminates the DF warts, that combined with the IQ technology leaves me not seeing how Hassy can compete in any significant manner...
??? They are already competing very effectively, Jack, particularly in Europe. I would argue that it is Phase who are catching up - their cameras are dinosaurs compared with the light years ahead H4D architecture.

Hassy have innovated at least as much as Phase. True Focus, the new 200MS, full back / body integration, yada yada yada. I'm not knocking Phase, simply setting the record striaght, as I see it.:angel:

Quentin

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
??? They are already competing very effectively, Jack, particularly in Europe.
Hey Folks,

I never said H was not competitive. I never even implied they weren't still number one, though I have no idea. What I did say is they have lost market share. So, it sounds as though you are you all trying to tell me Hassy's market share has gone UP over the last 3 years? If so, PLEASE show numbers to support that, because my impression is their total share of the MF market has decreased, and I am willing to bet significantly. And they may still in fact be number 1, but that is irrelevant to my comment which I stand by it until you prove me wrong...

Question: How many HD60 orders have been actually filled? How many orders were cancelled after they were placed but before delivery?

dorigatti

IMHO any development at the top of the company with potential for R&D and possible marketing changes is good. As things stand there are some glaring negatives: the HD series being a CLOSED system and the new CFV-50 being non rotatable and NO plate or adapter to make it so (come on Hasselblad, why aren't you listening.... PhaseOne and Leaf don't have this glaring limitation). I know a full frame 6X6 sensor in not, practically speaking, in Hasselblad hands but a rotatable full 6X4.5 for the V system certainly is. The V system as a concept refined over many years is anything but dead, it just needs a new look at it.

Thierry

but then there is a strange attitude: why would Shriro retain its current Hasselblad distribution rights in the Asia-Pacific region? I for sure know that they are not doing too bad in south-east Asia in particular.

Thierry

Would Shiro have sold if they had been gaining global market share?

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
if they are critical on the timing then they are not the sorts of investor that hassy needs.
-bob

Mike M

Has anyone else starting to get the feeling or vibe that Hasselblad is becoming a sort of middle-culture brand? I'm honestly wondering what people think and haven't come to any conclusions myself.

One of the hardest things to talk about is low-culture, mid-culture and high culture because it sounds pretentious. But it's the way I've found best to predict success or failures of photo gear in the marketplace is according to who buys it rather than what it actually does.

Low-culture buyers in the photo world want practical, inexpensive and accessible so they buy items like i-phones and point-shoot cameras etc. That's easy and everybody can understands it.

High-culture buyers want specialty and price is not a factor. These folks buy the arcas, alpas, leicas, IQ180s etc. This forum is filled with high-cult and that's why it's the only place I even bother to post.

Middle culture buyers share aspects of both high and low culture and that often makes them the most confused. It does no good to listen to what they say because they will often do the opposite of what they actually say. Actions speak louder than words with this part of the market. They are usually too practical to pay for the highest quality yet too discerning to be totally practical (Canon and Nikon users are a good example of mid-cult) The tell-tale sign of mid-cult is brand loyalty and brand recognition. They usually lack the confidence to buy something from a small relatively unknown boutique maker and will make decisions based on what's popular from word of mouth from peers or mainstream reviewers, publications etc.

Currently, I think the main thing that Hasselblad has going for it is the brand name. But it's name isn't really meaning that much to today's high-cult buyers. Nowadays, the name seems to mean more to the mid-cult buyers. This leads me to believe that Hasselblad has gotta come up with something that appeals to the middle and not the top buyers if they want to have future success. Of course, the best way to appeal to the middle is to claim to the be top....but the real top always knows better :)

Bob

Administrator
Staff member
I look at it a little differently.
If phase and hassy are to compete it depends on the choice of arena.
With Schneider throwing their hat in with Phase, assuming what they don't also do the same with hassy, and since sensor technology is more or less available to all based on the date of design, it will be interesting to see the swords of each company as they are unsheathed.
My guess, is that at the end of the day it will be software and bodies that will differentiate.
I will stock up on popcorn and watch the circus.
-bob

lance_schad

Workshop Member
I think we are all in agreement that we want Hasselblad to continue to develop and stay focused in the Medium Format marketplace.

I am agreement with David that this is a good thing, obviously the old regimen had some difficulties and decided to drop back and go back to their core competencies "to explore the huge potentials of the Hasselblad brand in the Chinese and other Asian markets”."

I just hope that one of the things the new owners do not do try to exploit the established brand by going downmarket with point & shoot type devices or possibly worse other products.

Look at the Polaroid brand these days you find it plastered on digital picture frames, dvd & blue-ray players, ipod docks etc (see here).

Who knows maybe they will re-open their system and provide more options for us all.

Anyway best wishes to Hasselblad and their team.

Lance

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
but then there is a strange attitude: why would Shriro retain its current Hasselblad distribution rights in the Asia-Pacific region? I for sure know that they are not doing too bad in south-east Asia in particular.

Thierry
Maybe just because being a distributor or a manufacturer constitute two very different trades requiring profoundly disparate if not sometimes divergent corporate cultures on the long term. Multiple ventures in many industries have shown that. And all the more than it comes to high tech integration.

No-horse-in-the-fight question: from the outside it seems that Hasselblad's possible leading position is often challenged by the other camps asking for figures, stats etc. But where are the PhaMiya numbers? From what can be seen around especially in Europe, it's hard to believe that Hasselblad leadership has been challenged among the pros (not talking about the wealthy amateurs and "hobbyist pros"). Maybe Leaf in some departments and countries, and in that regard PO would have bought more market shares than organically developed. Maybe the new IQ will change that.

No clue what the Ventizz guys have in mind or what their long term investment plan can be, but at least they seem to have some interesting possible synergies in their portfolio.

Anyway, as said above it's important for users to have several competing majors in any industry.

It'd be real nice if down the road the competing R&D would bring us solutions filling the gaps between the top DSLR's versatility/operability and the potential higher IQ of the MF world. For many photographers, that's the big challenge for the years to come.

Sharokin

Has anyone else starting to get the feeling or vibe that Hasselblad is becoming a sort of middle-culture brand? I'm honestly wondering what people think and haven't come to any conclusions myself.

One of the hardest things to talk about is low-culture, mid-culture and high culture because it sounds pretentious. But it's the way I've found best to predict success or failures of photo gear in the marketplace is according to who buys it rather than what it actually does.

Low-culture buyers in the photo world want practical, inexpensive and accessible so they buy items like i-phones and point-shoot cameras etc. That's easy and everybody can understands it.

High-culture buyers want specialty and price is not a factor. These folks buy the arcas, alpas, leicas, IQ180s etc. This forum is filled with high-cult and that's why it's the only place I even bother to post.

Middle culture buyers share aspects of both high and low culture and that often makes them the most confused. It does no good to listen to what they say because they will often do the opposite of what they actually say. Actions speak louder than words with this part of the market. They are usually too practical to pay for the highest quality yet too discerning to be totally practical (Canon and Nikon users are a good example of mid-cult) The tell-tale sign of mid-cult is brand loyalty and brand recognition. They usually lack the confidence to buy something from a small relatively unknown boutique maker and will make decisions based on what's popular from word of mouth from peers or mainstream reviewers, publications etc.

Currently, I think the main thing that Hasselblad has going for it is the brand name. But it's name isn't really meaning that much to today's high-cult buyers. Nowadays, the name seems to mean more to the mid-cult buyers. This leads me to believe that Hasselblad has gotta come up with something that appeals to the middle and not the top buyers if they want to have future success. Of course, the best way to appeal to the middle is to claim to the be top....but the real top always knows better :)

WOW!
Please put down your 40 year old scotch and go out shoot some high culture images.
Just wow!

bensonga

I really don't think that Marc (Fotografz) decided to stick with the Hasselblad H-system because of their relative "cult" status. Guess I'm both low cult and mid cult (Canon, Nikon and Hasselblad digital owner)....oh if I could only afford a Phase One and be elevated to HIGH CULT status! But then, if I could afford an IQ140-180, I could also afford a high end Hasselblad H-system....these cults can be so confusing.

I'm not up on the latest technical specs from Phase, Leaf etc....but correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Hasselbald recently announce the first (and only) 200 megapixel multi-shot back/camera which can also be used as a 50 megapixel single shot camera? Doesn't sound like a company which has lost it's technological edge.....JMHO.

Gary

Status
Not open for further replies.