Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hasselblad has been sold

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hasselblad has been sold

Ventizz Capital Fund IV L.P. acquires Swedish high-end camera manufacturer Hasselblad

June 30, 2011

An iconic brand for more than 50 years, Hasselblad is the world market leader in the field of high-end medium format cameras
    Strong increase in demand worldwide for Hasselblad cameras, particularly in Asia
    Ventizz Capital Fund IV L.P. provides additional capital for growth strategy
    Ventizz Capital Fund IV L.P. has agreed to acquire 100 percent of the shares of the Swedish camera manufacturer Hasselblad Group from Hong Kong-based Shriro Group. Shriro, a long-standing Hasselblad distributor in the Asia-Pacific region, has held ownership of the company since 2003. Shriro will retain its current Hasselblad distribution rights in the Asia-Pacific region. Vasco Fung, CEO of Shriro, will serve an additional five year term on the supervisory board of Hasselblad.

Founded in 1941 in Gothenburg, Sweden, Hasselblad has become the world market leader in the field of high-end medium format cameras. Today, its name is synonymous with the utmost in camera reliability and image quality. The company produces first class camera equipment for professional photographers, photo artists and high-end consumers. The extraordinary quality of the company’s products became famous in 1962 when Hasselblad cameras were selected for NASA space missions, which resulted only a few years later in the first world-renowned images taken on the moon.

“Hasselblad is the world’s most renowned camera brand. We are proud to have such an iconic brand in our portfolio and are convinced that with solid financial support and a suitable growth strategy, Ventizz can further strengthen Hasselblad's position as the first class producer of medium format digital camera systems. Furthermore, we plan to develop Hasselblad cameras to appeal to a wider circle of ambitious photographers“, said Dr. Helmut Vorndran, Managing Partner and CEO of Ventizz Capital Partners AG, the exclusive advisory to the Ventizz funds.

As a strong financial partner, Ventizz Capital Fund IV L.P. will support Hasselblad and its management team in entering new market segments as well as in the further technological development of existing product lines. Dr. Vorndran: “We have seen the demand for Hasselblad cameras continue to grow in Asia, as well as in Europe and North America, where there is increased interest in top-quality cameras. Our growth strategy for Hasselblad is therefore timed perfectly.”

Dr. Larry Hansen, CEO of Hasselblad, expresses his appreciation for the change in ownership and for the opportunities this will create: “We are very pleased that Ventizz, as an experienced investor in growth strategies for technology-oriented mid-sized companies, has decided to invest in Hasselblad and we look forward to many years of close cooperation.”

The parties have agreed not to disclose the purchase price.

Company profiles

About Ventizz Capital Partners

Ventizz Capital Partners was set up in 2000 and has offices in St. Gallen, Düsseldorf, Zürich and Vienna. Ventizz Capital Partners advises solely Ventizz Private Equity funds which provide equity capital for growth in high tech companies predominantly in the German-speaking region. Four partners and a team of a further 15 professionals currently advise four funds with a total capital volume of EUR 675m. The Ventizz Capital Fund IV L.P. is the largest of the four hitherto issued funds. The fund was closed at the end of 2007 after a mere six month fundraising process which raised EUR 450m, making it one of the biggest private equity funds in the area of growth capital and mid-size tech buyouts in the German-speaking region.
    Ventizz funds have to date invested in 39 companies with a focus on the areas of renewable energy, medical technology, information and communication technology, and other industry sectors with high added value. In addition to many trade sales, Ventizz has brought three portfolio companies (ersol, SAR, PV Crystalox Solar) to the stock market.

About Hasselblad Group

Founded in 1941 in Gothenburg, Sweden, Hasselblad has been the leading manufacturer and partner for photographers working in the medium format environment for over half a century, consistently providing the highest level of quality and innovation.

The extraordinary quality of the company’s products became famous in 1962 when Hasselblad cameras were selected for NASA space missions, which resulted only a few years later in the first world-renowned images taken on the moon. Positive associations with Hasselblad’s past serve as the foundation for the company’s modern and energized brand. In 2002, the Hasselblad H-Camera System was introduced. With its professional lens family and unique advancements, including True Focus and instant lens correction within the Phocus software, it is the most comprehensive digital camera system of its kind available today.

Hasselblad H4D-60 camera image:
    http://press.hasselblad.com/media-li...em/h4d-60.aspx
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasselblad has been sold

At least they have been sold and not shut down.

Troubled times in the Hasselblad camp!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, It could be great step forward. If the invest and have in the right way, Hassi could come a long way back and really put some pressure on Phase. I would hope they do, but I don't believe in it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Honestly we really don't want Hassy going away for sure. Just bad for the industry and the MF OEMS have shrunk enough already. Lets hope this is good for the current Hassy folks and the end users.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher View Post
    Hassi could come a long way back and really put some pressure on Phase. I would hope they do, but I don't believe in it.
    I feel the same way Christopher, I don't want Hassy to disappear as having two main players guarantees technical advancement for all customers. It's almost as though too much water has passed under the bridge for Hassy and they need a strong leap-frog in technology over Phase to regain market share I think. If Phase gets a new, state-of-the-art body out by Q4 2011 that eliminates the DF warts, that combined with the IQ technology leaves me not seeing how Hassy can compete in any significant manner...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    If Phase gets a new, state-of-the-art body out by Q4 2011 that eliminates the DF warts, that combined with the IQ technology leaves me not seeing how Hassy can compete in any significant manner...
    Maybe Phase will hold off with the camera to give HB a chance?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Maybe my recent switch from Hasselblad to Phase One was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yea Joe now don't be selling your Phase gear anytime soon. Have too much money in this. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Maybe Phase will hold off with the camera to give HB a chance?
    Gareth,

I love the way you always think we are in the mire and Phase is this holy grail that is only company selling anything?

Personally, for me, I think this is great. Nobody would invest in us if they didn't think they would see a return. There has already been significant investment in new staff, my own department included.

I would hope that photographers would see this as a positive change for the industry (regardless of manufacturer) and not resort to this kind of petty comment throwing.

I look forward greatly to the rest of 2011.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    Gareth,

I love the way you always think we are in the mire and Phase is this holy grail that is only company selling anything?
    It was a joke hence the smiley.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    It was a joke hence the smiley.
    Just going on your historical responses, Gareth, here and on LL.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Easy guys. Here is some info on Ventizz, interesting profile: http://www.ventizz.de/en/index.php
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Investors buy,
    Investors sell.
    For a concern that has been around awhile it may have nothing to do with the quality of the company. Often it is just a matter of the investors adjusting their portfolio or raising money for some other investment.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jack!

By the way the term "regain market share" is not fair, as we are market leader in many countries around the world.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jack!

By the way the term "regain market share" is not fair, as we are market leader in many countries around the world.
    I was speaking globally, not to selected markets Dave. Moreover, still being the leader in some regions does not mean you have also not lost share in those same markets... Would Shiro have sold if they had been gaining global market share? I doubt it, unless they were loosing their shirts to do it. Let's hope the new management can get things back on track for both profit and market share
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    or raising money for some other investment.
    Lets hope not!

Post Thanks / Like

I was speaking globally, not to selected markets Dave. Moreover, still being the leader in some regions does not mean you have also not lost share in those same markets... Would Shiro have sold if they had been gaining global market share? I doubt it, unless they were loosing their shirts to do it. Let's hope the new management can get things back on track for both profit and market share
    Hi Jack,

There are no official figures released for MF sales so it is impossible to say clearly who is doing what.

Shriro has always been an import and distribution company. Buying Hasselblad was a different move for them, so I guess they wanted to concentrate their efforts on that. Perhaps the sale helps them fund other ventures?

I don't know, but it is not uncommon for large corporation like Shriro to change their interests.

D

richard.L

and from the seller:
    "In announcing the divestment, Mr. Vasco Fung said “Shriro Group has a long-standing partnership with Hasselblad as one of its main distributors since the 1950’s and its sole owner since 2003. Under Shriro's ownership over the past eight years, Hasselblad has successfully achieved the transition from analogue to digital photography and reinforced its leading position in the high-end medium format photography market. Undoubtedly, this will continue under the new ownership of a strong financial partner, Ventizz Capital Partners. With the divestment, Shriro Group can now fully focus on achieving greater market penetration for Hasselblad and maintaining its leading position in the countries where we have extensive presence and experience in the distribution business. We believe this new partnership gives Hasselblad the best position to explore the huge potentials of the Hasselblad brand in the Chinese and other Asian markets”.

richard...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

At this point and until the dust settles (months?) all I can say is that I hope that this is good for the employees. Often take-overs incur structure and personnel changes which is rarely a happy thing if you're on the payroll...

And if this leads to further growth and development in the photographic market then we should all applaud this move

Yair

Post Thanks / Like

I wish Hasselblad and their new owners all the best! Perhaps this will help them bring out some really exciting new products - I just hope it's not a brand-leaching exercise with the release of Hasselblad point-and-shoot cameras, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    At this point and until the dust settles (months?) all I can say is that I hope that this is good for the employees. Often take-overs incur structure and personnel changes which is rarely a happy thing if you're on the payroll...

And if this leads to further growth and development in the photographic market then we should all applaud this move

Yair
    - No changes in management structure.

- Already new staff added

Further growth guaranteed.
    Last edited by David Grover / Phase One; 30th June 2011 at 08:08.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seems to me that Hasselblad is fortunate to have found a deep pocket investor. Sinar was not so lucky when Jenoptic decided to exit the business. Despite recent advances I think think there is still a lot of room for improvement in the MF arena but the R&D costs are substantial. Let's hope Hassy's new owners are willing to fund them. And I'll echo Yair's good wishes for the employees of Hasselblad.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks Jack!

To be fair I can absolutely confirm that in various markets/countries/sub-markets the market-share is very different than global market share. There are countries for instance where Leaf is a strong #1, and others where it is #2 or #3. My perception (and David says with no released numbers you can only make educated guesses) is that Hasselblad is doing very well in SE Asia and Phase could be doing better.

These are hands-on value-added products, so the quality and history of local dealers matters a lot.

Hard for any individual user, indeed even for those of us in the industry every day, to truly gauge any of that.

David: Any idea on whether Hasselblad's annual financial statements will continue to be available through Sweeden's public-accessible financials reporting system? In other words can you confirm the investment group has simply become a majority shareholder in a company that continues to reside and HQ out of Sweeden?

Regardless definitely wish Hasselblad the best as niche markets always do the best for end-users / consumers with two (or more) strong players!

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 30th June 2011 at 09:51.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Hey David we all have your back! If you need a write-in campaign of support we'll all sign on!! Not having you on the board would be unthinkable.

Edit: Hadn't read through end of thread...
    - Already new staff added

Further growth guaranteed.
    Great to hear about staffing! Seriously.

You can guarantee growth? What do you do for that, buy insurance policies on negative growth? Lol. (just making a technical joke that you can never be 100% sure of growth, glad to hear you're very optimistic and wish you and Hasselblad well)
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 30th June 2011 at 09:49.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Sinar was not so lucky when Jenoptic decided to exit the business.
    Remember Leica was going to buy them?

http://pmainews.2000net.com/story-522.html

Post Thanks / Like

Remember when Canon was eating Nikon for lunch and photogs were dumping their Nikon DSLRs like there was no tomorrow?
    Well, a funny thing happened on the way to Nikon's demise..........Nikon produced some incredible sensors and VR optics and we photographers have reaped the benefits.
    It is a good thing for both manufactures to survive!
    We already have enough DSLRs.
    I am looking forward to Hasselblad's continued success!
    All the best,
    Mike

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I personally feel that this can only bode well for Hasselblad. Ventizz is here to make money in the long term, not take Hasselblad apart and sell off the bits. I expect to see more rapid technology advances in this market now.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I feel the same way Christopher, I don't want Hassy to disappear as having two main players guarantees technical advancement for all customers. It's almost as though too much water has passed under the bridge for Hassy and they need a strong leap-frog in technology over Phase to regain market share I think. If Phase gets a new, state-of-the-art body out by Q4 2011 that eliminates the DF warts, that combined with the IQ technology leaves me not seeing how Hassy can compete in any significant manner...
    ??? They are already competing very effectively, Jack, particularly in Europe. I would argue that it is Phase who are catching up - their cameras are dinosaurs compared with the light years ahead H4D architecture.

Hassy have innovated at least as much as Phase. True Focus, the new 200MS, full back / body integration, yada yada yada. I'm not knocking Phase, simply setting the record striaght, as I see it.

Quentin
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    ??? They are already competing very effectively, Jack, particularly in Europe.
    Hey Folks,

I never said H was not competitive. I never even implied they weren't still number one, though I have no idea. What I did say is they have lost market share. So, it sounds as though you are you all trying to tell me Hassy's market share has gone UP over the last 3 years? If so, PLEASE show numbers to support that, because my impression is their total share of the MF market has decreased, and I am willing to bet significantly. And they may still in fact be number 1, but that is irrelevant to my comment which I stand by it until you prove me wrong...

Question: How many HD60 orders have been actually filled? How many orders were cancelled after they were placed but before delivery?
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

hi David,

I would put it differently: Sinar was not so lucky when Jenoptic decided to enter the business.

Best regards
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Sinar was not so lucky when Jenoptic decided to exit the business.

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO any development at the top of the company with potential for R&D and possible marketing changes is good. As things stand there are some glaring negatives: the HD series being a CLOSED system and the new CFV-50 being non rotatable and NO plate or adapter to make it so (come on Hasselblad, why aren't you listening.... PhaseOne and Leaf don't have this glaring limitation). I know a full frame 6X6 sensor in not, practically speaking, in Hasselblad hands but a rotatable full 6X4.5 for the V system certainly is. The V system as a concept refined over many years is anything but dead, it just needs a new look at it.
    pbase.com/dorigatti

Post Thanks / Like

but then there is a strange attitude: why would Shriro retain its current Hasselblad distribution rights in the Asia-Pacific region? I for sure know that they are not doing too bad in south-east Asia in particular.

Thierry

Would Shiro have sold if they had been gaining global market share?

Post Thanks / Like

Lets hope the "timing" is right on this investment!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

if they are critical on the timing then they are not the sorts of investor that hassy needs.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Has anyone else starting to get the feeling or vibe that Hasselblad is becoming a sort of middle-culture brand? I'm honestly wondering what people think and haven't come to any conclusions myself.

One of the hardest things to talk about is low-culture, mid-culture and high culture because it sounds pretentious. But it's the way I've found best to predict success or failures of photo gear in the marketplace is according to who buys it rather than what it actually does.

Low-culture buyers in the photo world want practical, inexpensive and accessible so they buy items like i-phones and point-shoot cameras etc. That's easy and everybody can understands it.

High-culture buyers want specialty and price is not a factor. These folks buy the arcas, alpas, leicas, IQ180s etc. This forum is filled with high-cult and that's why it's the only place I even bother to post.

Middle culture buyers share aspects of both high and low culture and that often makes them the most confused. It does no good to listen to what they say because they will often do the opposite of what they actually say. Actions speak louder than words with this part of the market. They are usually too practical to pay for the highest quality yet too discerning to be totally practical (Canon and Nikon users are a good example of mid-cult) The tell-tale sign of mid-cult is brand loyalty and brand recognition. They usually lack the confidence to buy something from a small relatively unknown boutique maker and will make decisions based on what's popular from word of mouth from peers or mainstream reviewers, publications etc.

Currently, I think the main thing that Hasselblad has going for it is the brand name. But it's name isn't really meaning that much to today's high-cult buyers. Nowadays, the name seems to mean more to the mid-cult buyers. This leads me to believe that Hasselblad has gotta come up with something that appeals to the middle and not the top buyers if they want to have future success. Of course, the best way to appeal to the middle is to claim to the be top....but the real top always knows better :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I look at it a little differently.
    If phase and hassy are to compete it depends on the choice of arena.
    With Schneider throwing their hat in with Phase, assuming what they don't also do the same with hassy, and since sensor technology is more or less available to all based on the date of design, it will be interesting to see the swords of each company as they are unsheathed.
    My guess, is that at the end of the day it will be software and bodies that will differentiate.
    I will stock up on popcorn and watch the circus.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think we are all in agreement that we want Hasselblad to continue to develop and stay focused in the Medium Format marketplace.

I am agreement with David that this is a good thing, obviously the old regimen had some difficulties and decided to drop back and go back to their core competencies "to explore the huge potentials of the Hasselblad brand in the Chinese and other Asian markets”."

I just hope that one of the things the new owners do not do try to exploit the established brand by going downmarket with point & shoot type devices or possibly worse other products.

Look at the Polaroid brand these days you find it plastered on digital picture frames, dvd & blue-ray players, ipod docks etc (see here).

Who knows maybe they will re-open their system and provide more options for us all.

Anyway best wishes to Hasselblad and their team.

Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TH_Alpa View Post
    but then there is a strange attitude: why would Shriro retain its current Hasselblad distribution rights in the Asia-Pacific region? I for sure know that they are not doing too bad in south-east Asia in particular.

Thierry
    Maybe just because being a distributor or a manufacturer constitute two very different trades requiring profoundly disparate if not sometimes divergent corporate cultures on the long term. Multiple ventures in many industries have shown that. And all the more than it comes to high tech integration.

No-horse-in-the-fight question: from the outside it seems that Hasselblad's possible leading position is often challenged by the other camps asking for figures, stats etc. But where are the PhaMiya numbers? From what can be seen around especially in Europe, it's hard to believe that Hasselblad leadership has been challenged among the pros (not talking about the wealthy amateurs and "hobbyist pros"). Maybe Leaf in some departments and countries, and in that regard PO would have bought more market shares than organically developed. Maybe the new IQ will change that.

No clue what the Ventizz guys have in mind or what their long term investment plan can be, but at least they seem to have some interesting possible synergies in their portfolio.

Anyway, as said above it's important for users to have several competing majors in any industry.

It'd be real nice if down the road the competing R&D would bring us solutions filling the gaps between the top DSLR's versatility/operability and the potential higher IQ of the MF world. For many photographers, that's the big challenge for the years to come.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
    Has anyone else starting to get the feeling or vibe that Hasselblad is becoming a sort of middle-culture brand? I'm honestly wondering what people think and haven't come to any conclusions myself.

One of the hardest things to talk about is low-culture, mid-culture and high culture because it sounds pretentious. But it's the way I've found best to predict success or failures of photo gear in the marketplace is according to who buys it rather than what it actually does.

Low-culture buyers in the photo world want practical, inexpensive and accessible so they buy items like i-phones and point-shoot cameras etc. That's easy and everybody can understands it.

High-culture buyers want specialty and price is not a factor. These folks buy the arcas, alpas, leicas, IQ180s etc. This forum is filled with high-cult and that's why it's the only place I even bother to post.

Middle culture buyers share aspects of both high and low culture and that often makes them the most confused. It does no good to listen to what they say because they will often do the opposite of what they actually say. Actions speak louder than words with this part of the market. They are usually too practical to pay for the highest quality yet too discerning to be totally practical (Canon and Nikon users are a good example of mid-cult) The tell-tale sign of mid-cult is brand loyalty and brand recognition. They usually lack the confidence to buy something from a small relatively unknown boutique maker and will make decisions based on what's popular from word of mouth from peers or mainstream reviewers, publications etc.

Currently, I think the main thing that Hasselblad has going for it is the brand name. But it's name isn't really meaning that much to today's high-cult buyers. Nowadays, the name seems to mean more to the mid-cult buyers. This leads me to believe that Hasselblad has gotta come up with something that appeals to the middle and not the top buyers if they want to have future success. Of course, the best way to appeal to the middle is to claim to the be top....but the real top always knows better :-)

WOW!
    Please put down your 40 year old scotch and go out shoot some high culture images.
    Just wow!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I really don't think that Marc (Fotografz) decided to stick with the Hasselblad H-system because of their relative "cult" status. Guess I'm both low cult and mid cult (Canon, Nikon and Hasselblad digital owner)....oh if I could only afford a Phase One and be elevated to HIGH CULT status! But then, if I could afford an IQ140-180, I could also afford a high end Hasselblad H-system....these cults can be so confusing.

I'm not up on the latest technical specs from Phase, Leaf etc....but correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Hasselbald recently announce the first (and only) 200 megapixel multi-shot back/camera which can also be used as a 50 megapixel single shot camera? Doesn't sound like a company which has lost it's technological edge.....JMHO.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin_Bargate View Post
    ??? They are already competing very effectively, Jack, particularly in Europe. I would argue that it is Phase who are catching up - their cameras are dinosaurs compared with the light years ahead H4D architecture.

Hassy have innovated at least as much as Phase. True Focus, the new 200MS, full back / body integration, yada yada yada. I'm not knocking Phase, simply setting the record striaght, as I see it.

Quentin
    If they were competing effectively they wouldn't be selling the company in a fire sale.

It is never a good sign when your hot new offering is a painted body with a car logo on it.

They also didn't help themselves when they decided they needed a closed architecture basically telling their current customers it was time to start over.

I have to agree on the camera body but let's see what Phase brings out once it has been in control of a full development cycle. The DF is a substantial improvement over the ADF and basically a design cleanup.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by lance_schad View Post
    I think we are all in agreement that we want Hasselblad to continue to develop and stay focused in the Medium Format marketplace.

I am agreement with David that this is a good thing, obviously the old regimen had some difficulties and decided to drop back and go back to their core competencies "to explore the huge potentials of the Hasselblad brand in the Chinese and other Asian markets”."

I just hope that one of the things the new owners do not do try to exploit the established brand by going downmarket with point & shoot type devices or possibly worse other products.

Look at the Polaroid brand these days you find it plastered on digital picture frames, dvd & blue-ray players, ipod docks etc (see here).

Who knows maybe they will re-open their system and provide more options for us all.

Anyway best wishes to Hasselblad and their team.

Lance
    Great points Lance. The IP rights could be a gold mine if acted on properly.

If they bring out a digital xpan I would jump on that bandwagon in a heartbeat. Rangefinder style with the same dot pitch as a d3x or 1ds would be a sweet addition to my camera bag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sharokin View Post
    WOW!
    Please put down your 40 year old scotch and go out shoot some high culture images.
    Just wow!
    LOL!

easier said that done....all of the money is in mid-cult

if you can't beat em join em...Once i figured this out my income went up 10x

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A digital XPan - now thats a down market product I would buy for sure !

Concur with the points made on the need for a new camera body from Phase One - the Mamiya 645 in any iteration doesn't do the Phase backs any justice. Good to see the Phase One afficianados making positive reference to Schneider's ability to make lenses - Rollie mount users and Alpa users have known this for a while now - but this knowledge only becomes relevant when mated to a Phase Back ( of course)

If Phase One guys want to know what the trigger for the next iteration of back upgrades will be - I am guessing that maybe it will coincide with a back which is 'optimised' for the new camera body ....

As for Hasselblad - it is pretty difficult to do anything if your company is up for sale - it has been on the blocks for a couple of years now and I hope that the new owners bring some stability to the company and its employees can feel more secure

Please a digital Xpan would be THE killer product. I am geting middle aged now and am finding Hy6/500 series/S2/D3X all too heavy for street and happy snaps! Please Xpan - digital!

Post Thanks / Like

I like that one!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I look at it a little differently.
    I will stock up on popcorn and watch the circus.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Many acquisitions are happening - Pentax bought by Ricoh for example, well as a Hassi user I am still confident that this is a good move for Hasselblad. Getting more money for evolution is always good. And having multiple players is also good!

On the other side I must admit, if Phase gets the new camera solved and it is bringing the advantages for me what the Hassi brings, then I might swith in a second to Phase and no longer care about Hassi. And actually I could not care less if a camera brand is renowned for their long history and glamour, what counts today is which products they offer today and how good the complete lineup (camera, sensor, lenses, SW) plays together.

I wish them luck!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think this is good news for Hasselblad and the users.
    The new investor will most likely bring them the fresh money they need to invest in an 80 Mpix system, the 200 is simply not a match for most cases, if they couldn´t have done this, they would have lost even more than with the 60story. For us users a second brand with a strong background (Fuji+ Investor)
    is broadening the choice and the competition.
    And maybe this new management will even lead to a new openness of the system, who knows.
    I wish them best luck - a choice of wise decisions in the near future and keeping up the spirit of making some of the finest cameras in history (500c and SWC !)

Greetings from Munich
    Stefan

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    I really don't think that Marc (Fotografz) decided to stick with the Hasselblad H-system because of their relative "cult" status. Guess I'm both low cult and mid cult (Canon, Nikon and Hasselblad digital owner)....oh if I could only afford a Phase One and be elevated to HIGH CULT status! But then, if I could afford an IQ140-180, I could also afford a high end Hasselblad H-system....these cults can be so confusing.

I'm not up on the latest technical specs from Phase, Leaf etc....but correct me if I'm wrong, didn't Hasselbald recently announce the first (and only) 200 megapixel multi-shot back/camera which can also be used as a 50 megapixel single shot camera? Doesn't sound like a company which has lost it's technological edge.....JMHO.

Gary
    Don't let the facts confuse the sudo-cultural biases Gary ...

(BTW, you forgot to mention that the 200MS is a H4 camera so includes True Focus APL).

-Marc

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by etrump View Post
    If they were competing effectively they wouldn't be selling the company in a fire sale.
    Is it a fire sale? Or just a sale?

It is never a good sign when your hot new offering is a painted body with a car logo on it.
    I don't see it as being relevant. Hasselblad has strong brand recognition, and this kind of thing is just a fun diversion, and a way to sell a few bodies to collectors. No big deal. Leica does this kind of thing all the time, and it works.

Good luck to Hasselblad! I hope the new owners make a black body
    Carsten - Website

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post

David: Any idea on whether Hasselblad's annual financial statements will continue to be available through Sweeden's public-accessible financials reporting system? In other words can you confirm the investment group has simply become a majority shareholder in a company that continues to reside and HQ out of Sweeden?

Doug,

No idea! And most importantly, not particularly interested in the financials.

They are not a majority shareholder. They own us outright as far I as understand.

David