The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Views on Pentax 67 500mm f5.6 SMC lens for possible use on 645D?

Ed Hurst

Hello there,

I have been very impressed by the quality of the Pentax 67 300mm f4 EDIF lens when paired with the 645D. Extremely good! But sometimes, I need more reach and have seen a 67 500mm f5.6 lens on sale for what seems a reasonable price. However, I suspect this lens is not of the same optical calibre as the 300 EDIF. Anyone got experience to help me make a decision? How does it compare? What about its quality when used on a 645D rather than with film?

All advice and experience greatly appreciated!

Ed

tsjanik

Hi Ed:

I have one and use it rarely on the 645D. It's ok but not the caliber of the 67 300 ED or the 645 400mm. It's also much larger and heavier than either of those lenses, so that using it is more of a hassle (I need both hands to turn the focus ring). I've used with a 1.4x when I really want the extra reach and it is better than cropping the 400 for the same view. If you get it for a good price, it's worth having but I would suggest the 645 400mm is a better choice or if you can find a 645 600mm.

Tom

D&A

+1 Tom nailed it! The 67 500mm lens reminded me optically in many ways of the older 500mm f4.5 Takumar (and Super Tak and SMC Tak). It was decent when used with film...of moderate contrast and average resolution for its day, but can't compared to ED lenses of similar focal length, espeially when used in conjunction with a digital sensor.

Dave (D&A)

Ed Hurst

Thanks guys - I think I will be giving this lens a miss. I am addicted to the quality of the 300mm f4EDIF, so it sounds like wouldn't find the 500 satisfying. Looks like I will be looking for some alternatives... No great rush though - I rarely need anything longer than 300 anyway...