The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Phase One 645DF with Hassy 110mm F2

yatlee

Does anyone has this combo? Any comment on quality? How difficult to focus manually with the DF?

Thanks.

Yat I use the f2.8 A150 Mamiya lens with focus confirmation on the DF it's fine for slow moving / stationary subjects. One difficulty is stopping down the lens manually, quite quickly and in low light the focus confirmation becomes less responsive. I imagine the blad would be similar.

Would also like to know about the blad. There was one for sale in champagne court for HK$20k a couple of weeks back!

yatlee

Thanks Paul, I still have 4-5 Hassy lenses including the 110mm and considering whether I should keep them. Let me know if you want to try them.

I guess I will find out when I get my 645DF with IQ180. Damn, it's still early here in HK. ;)

Anders_HK

Gents,

You are both in Hong Kong :cool:, so am I.

I had the 110/2 FE for a short time prior that I switched to Hy6 system. Do a search here on GetDpi, per memory Jim Cullum have some images posted quite some time back.

Mine was on AFDIII and per what I understand it is simpler to arrive at focus using the DF because as you turn lens and reach accurate focus the DF beeps. Which should make simple... On the AFDIII the focus confirmation is a tad trickier albeit not impossible; there is a green confirmation circle and one needs to turn until it comes on (point A), then turn until it switch off (point B) and thereafter turn back to midway between those points. All I have are some personal shots I will not share, but... the shallow focus and smooth bokeh of the Hassy 110/2 is nothing short of smooth magic ;).

Speaking of Champagne Court???? Hey, this is HK, they sell there at high for not good quality and may especially enjoy to do so to foreigners. My recommendation is Ebay for any used. 20k HKD is VERY high even for an FE on Ebay...

Although my 110/2 is gone I have the Phase One adapter for sale here http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28061 !!! :thumbs:

If you research you will find that adapters other than the Mamiya and Phase One risk a not sharp image. I believe in particular so with a lens such as the 110/2 and with a shallow DOF :)

For focus and composition I found no need to step down since the main attraction is the shallow DOF and smooth bokeh of the 110/2. However, the AFTIII was able to detect focus also when I stopped down to around f/5.6 as a guideline. To that aperture one can do so without using the stop down switch on the lens, since the viewfinder is suffice bright.

Feel free to take me up on that adapter as a starter until you find a lens. The Phase One adapter show up less on Ebay than the 110/2. Also please take a look at what other goodies I current have listed on Getdpi for sale. You may well find something more :). Since we are in Hong Kong it would be convenient for you guys to inspect in person and hand me HKD cash... :D. Please also check for the condition, all my gear is very well cared for and near new condition due I had 5 camera systems in works before...

Regards
Anders

Hehe, a little HK corner on getdpi! Rupho is also in HK, but he's away enjoying himself instead of working at the moment. We should have a MF outing.

Yes the DF can be set to beep at you and you just press the button. It really works, I have a load of Mamiya manual lenses and can get eyes in sharp focus on kids shots wide open!

I am sorely tempted to play with some Hassie glass, I am a sucker for fast lenses, but I'm on the slippery slope into Alpa at the moment and trying to get back into printing after many years. All my cash that I can burn on camera gear is spoken for a few months to come.

My new lens should arrive in the coming days, weather seems clear ... lets try an outing soon chaps!

Paul