The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Lens Hoods for Tech Cameras

gazwas

I'm looking for a lens hood solution for use with my Arca ML2 and was wondering what people could recommend. I really like the look of the Lee hoods that attach to the lens and can be used in conjunction with a filter. There are various ones but not sure which offers the best shade for a 40mm + lens.

Standard: http://www.leefilters.com/camera/products/show/ref:C47610CA7E503B/

Universal: http://www.leefilters.com/camera/products/show/ref:C47BDAE33913A0/

Wide angle: http://www.leefilters.com/camera/products/show/ref:C47610CC57DEFE/

However, I wasn't sure is this was advisable to hang all that weight off the front of a fairly slight Schneider or Rodenstock lens and best to stick to the Arca compendium type that attach to the camera and cover the whole lens.

darr

I use the compendium shade from my first 6x9 film Arca with my M2 and find it to be a perfect fit. It does not hang off the lens as you stated and IMO is much better than a lens-attached accessory. I use a Lee setup for my Alpa Max. I have heard it is hard to find Lee products at the moment, so before I would buy an available hood system, I would double check that the filters you want are available.

Darr

gazwas

Thanks Darr and err, Bob :)D) for your suggestions.

I rarely have a need for any filters and that was not really why I thought of the Lee system but I suppose if the need ever arrises, I'd have the option. I thought of the Lee hood because it looked well made and as it was self supporting, lighter weight and easy to use and at less than half the price of the Arca 6x9 hood a bargain.

jlm

Workshop Member
i've been working on a custom bellows compendium design, be a month or two:
your input appreciated

design goals:

super light weight
about the same size as the H hasselblad compendium, so it will not vignette the full frame sensors
attaches to the outside of the lens barrel may have some adjustability, may require adapters
does not need the external sliding rod device to extend and lock the bellows
may or may not have a slot for 4" gel filters

R

richard.L

i've been working on a custom bellows compendium design, be a month or two:
your input appreciated

back in my frugal days I made a collapsable hood from the then available collapsable drinking cups (plastic concentric circles)... all I did was flock them and glue ball them to a "filter"... they adjusted just fine...

round was good. collapsible was convenient... stealing from children, maybe not so good. the flock did flake :) although I notice that Zeiss hoods have a "flock" feel to them...

richard ---

dchew

On a similar vein, packability would be most welcome. If it doesn't collapse into itself, perhaps it could combine with some other piece of equipment (reverse-fit over the digital back?) so it doesn't take up much extra space.

Dave

back in my frugal days I made a collapsable hood from the then available collapsable drinking cups (plastic concentric circles)... all I did was flock them and glue ball them to a "filter"... they adjusted just fine...

round was good. collapsible was convenient... stealing from children, maybe not so good. the flock did flake :) although I notice that Zeiss hoods have a "flock" feel to them...

richard ---