Site Sponsors

Thread: Lens Hoods for Tech Cameras

Post Thanks / Like

Question Lens Hoods for Tech Cameras

I'm looking for a lens hood solution for use with my Arca ML2 and was wondering what people could recommend. I really like the look of the Lee hoods that attach to the lens and can be used in conjunction with a filter. There are various ones but not sure which offers the best shade for a 40mm + lens.

Standard: http://www.leefilters.com/camera/pro...47610CA7E503B/

Universal: http://www.leefilters.com/camera/pro...47BDAE33913A0/

Wide angle: http://www.leefilters.com/camera/pro...47610CC57DEFE/

However, I wasn't sure is this was advisable to hang all that weight off the front of a fairly slight Schneider or Rodenstock lens and best to stick to the Arca compendium type that attach to the camera and cover the whole lens.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lens Hoods for Tech Cameras

I use the compendium shade from my first 6x9 film Arca with my M2 and find it to be a perfect fit. It does not hang off the lens as you stated and IMO is much better than a lens-attached accessory. I use a Lee setup for my Alpa Max. I have heard it is hard to find Lee products at the moment, so before I would buy an available hood system, I would double check that the filters you want are available.

Darr
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use my hat.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Darr and err, Bob () for your suggestions.

I rarely have a need for any filters and that was not really why I thought of the Lee system but I suppose if the need ever arrises, I'd have the option. I thought of the Lee hood because it looked well made and as it was self supporting, lighter weight and easy to use and at less than half the price of the Arca 6x9 hood a bargain.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bob View Post
    I use my hat.
    -bob
    Note that in Bob's case he has to ensure his the top of his head is behind the lens while doing so. Lest he create a new source of flare.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i've been working on a custom bellows compendium design, be a month or two:
    your input appreciated

design goals:

super light weight
    about the same size as the H hasselblad compendium, so it will not vignette the full frame sensors
    attaches to the outside of the lens barrel may have some adjustability, may require adapters
    does not need the external sliding rod device to extend and lock the bellows
    may or may not have a slot for 4" gel filters

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Note that in Bob's case he has to ensure his the top of his head is behind the lens while doing so. Lest he create a new source of flare.

Some say it can actually outshine the sun
    -bob

richard.L

Quote Originally Posted by jlm View Post
    i've been working on a custom bellows compendium design, be a month or two:
    your input appreciated

back in my frugal days I made a collapsable hood from the then available collapsable drinking cups (plastic concentric circles)... all I did was flock them and glue ball them to a "filter"... they adjusted just fine...

round was good. collapsible was convenient... stealing from children, maybe not so good. the flock did flake although I notice that Zeiss hoods have a "flock" feel to them...

richard ---

Post Thanks / Like

On a similar vein, packability would be most welcome. If it doesn't collapse into itself, perhaps it could combine with some other piece of equipment (reverse-fit over the digital back?) so it doesn't take up much extra space.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by richard.L View Post
    back in my frugal days I made a collapsable hood from the then available collapsable drinking cups (plastic concentric circles)... all I did was flock them and glue ball them to a "filter"... they adjusted just fine...

round was good. collapsible was convenient... stealing from children, maybe not so good. the flock did flake although I notice that Zeiss hoods have a "flock" feel to them...

richard ---