The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

buying used digital backs on ebay

Paul2660

Back to OP's original question, TMRPromotions is a very good dealer. I have purchased many lenses from him over the years, all 645 and all were in excellent condition. Every lens was exactly has described. He has a very good supply and a very good price point. I have not purchased a digital back from him however.

Use of a dealer might be a better solution on a back, issues like support, and possible warranty (used warranty) but price point is important also. You have to make that decision. I would not worry about TMRPromotions not shipping exactly what is described.

Paul Caldwell

EH21

Several years ago, I bought a used ixpress 384 from TMR promotions that came DOA. I had some difficulty returning this, but eventually after much effort AND the help of Ebay customer service was able to do so but I had to pay shipping both ways which I felt was not fair considering the problem was through no fault of mine.

While its possible that this was a fluke experience, I personally have avoided doing any further business with this particular seller. I am happy to read others have had better experiences.

FredBGG

Not Available
Leaf Aptus 75, H mount $21,990 $9,990

Everything is negotiable especially used. And guess what you will pay for that dealer support. So do you want to guarantee your 6k or receive a brick instead. Sorry to be so blunt but this **** happens.
Very simple way to buy off ebay.
Request a 15 day return policy and have them include it in the listing.
Only buy if ebay buyer protection is on the listing.
Have it sent to Mamiya-usa for a good checkup, clean and service with warranty.
IF Mamiya says it's no good... send it back.

IF that's too complicated spend 4 to 8 thousand more with a dealer.

Dealers claim factory refurbished... when all that has been done is a vendor or distributor checkup. legally factory refurbished has quite a narrow definition.

Also on many ebay listings offer 3rd party warranty at an extra fee. Far less than a dealers markup.

Another thing to consider is that in some cases you can buy a 75 or 65 used back and a new 22PM back as a back up for the same price as a single dealer supported back.

One thing for sure if you have no previous experience with DB a dealer is a good option.

shlomi

I don't know why people here are so afraid of eBay.

As someone said here already, eBay and Paypal are completely biased in favor of the buyer.
It doesn't matter what the seller's return policy is - if you don't like the item, you can send it back and you will get your money back.

I bought and sold $10000's on eBay with almost no problems.
The only way to lose your money, is if you find a problem with the item after more than 45 days, or not pay via Paypal.

I bought and sold to TMR with no problems, but not over $2000.
With KEH I've had several problems where the item was in much worse condition than described.
Obviously sellers of used equipment are not full service shops - it is not reasonable to expect it.
You pay less and get less. If you know exactly what you want you can save a lot of money.

I bought my phase One p45 from tmrpromotion, I´m located in Denmark and here there is all most no used digital back for sale so I cross my fingers and bought this back with only 275 actuation on the counter and I´m very satisfied ..

Tommy

pophoto

Just to add I've bought from TMR from ebay and have been very happy, better than other places on ebay. Had purchased RZII and lenses in the past and have been delighted!

I never had any problem so nothing to share about that troubleshooting/resolving with them!

Analog6

I bought my digital H2 and Phase One P20 from a UK Bay site. It was a photo studio who were selling a unit that had been a tethered camera in the studio an was being replaced by an upgrade. Never ha a moment's trouble with it but I did do my homework, check their website, actually ring up from Oz to Uk an speak to them etc.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi folks,

Just to keep you updated: I bought a used Leaf 75S back in H mount plus cable, charger and batteries for € 4.500,- (with shipping) from a London based photographer. I had it checked by my local Leaf dealer (I am based in Vienna, Austria). The back is like new and after working with it for 3 months I couldn't be happier.

best,

geb
Congrats on the purchase, but let's see some images form it!!!

dick

One problem we should all be aware of is that adapters can cost half as much as a digital back... I bought a Sinar sliding back (rear standard replacement) thinking that I could buy an adaptor for it to make it H4 compatible - but the H4 compatible sliding back is a different model, with an integral adapter! ...(I have kept it, thinking I might get a V sys back sometime.)

Sometimes somebody advertises what you want, with the right adapter, then you see the item again at a reduced price - but, if you look carefully you find they have sold off the adapter, which would cost you over a grand to buy new.

...and Linhof Studio and Calumet both advertise on eBay

Steve Hendrix

"send it to MAC"

I'm sorry, but this is wrong Sergei.

No it is almost never a simple case of "Send it to MAC". If you want a small sample of what kind of things occur with ownership of a digital back system, as well as our response to them in terms of do we just do paperwork and turn it over to Phase One or Leaf or what, then check out my attachment. This is just a small sample list culled from our support logs. Keep in mind we have thousands of legacy digital back clients and hundreds and hundreds of new digital back clients added each year.

More than anything, when someone purchases from us, they are purchasing from a partner, and the relationship works very much like that. It is much, much more than someone who just sends hardware in for repairs.

**This is not in any way intended to portray manufacturers negatively - it is the nature of the proximity to the client that explains our level of involvement. We would not have a strong collaboration with any manufacturer who was not up to the task of providing essential back-end support to us.

You know where we sit on eBay purchases. I'm sure anything can be purchased from eBay and you'll have testimonials - "Oh, no problems, etc". From these selected testimonials I believe it is possible to get a false sense of security. Sure, you might save some money and come out ok. On the other hand - for many - things will occur (see attached list). But we don't deal in absolutes. It's your money, you're free to spend it where you feel best. Sometimes a client starts out on eBay, or picks up something on eBay, but at some point makes their next purchase from us. It is very rare that this occurs in the opposite order.

Steve Hendrix