The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HCam-B1 with 80Mpix backs

Stefan Steib

Hi Doug

"We can redeem the bet in New England :)."

this sounds good to me !:thumbup:

Well I also think that the canons offer an incredible value for all 20-50 Mpix chips too, especially as they still offer far over 100 degrees for less than 2 K$ with movements.
And yes why not use LCC on it, I have never done it as I shoot a lot of Night stuff with the P45+ also I stitch a lot - with two 39Mpix this gets up to about 60 Mpix, and there this is covered by the photoshop automatic masks anyway, but I will try.

Greetings from Munich
Stefan

kdphotography

...and yet another reason to attend the Capture Integration Masters Series workshop in New England this October. (I need a nanny!) I'd love to see the H Cam B1 up close in action.

ken

gogopix

Subscriber
Dear Stefan

Lots of interest in wides and shifts, but my interest in the HCam is for my Leica R lenses. I have a sliding back with R mount and have some luck with a P45+ and P65+. The former does not vignette, the latter, about 20%

The R modular is one of the fastest and longest lenses out there, and the quality is every bit up to 40MP, and 60MP. Who knows, maybe even 80MP.

But I would be happy witha P40+ and the R lenses (almost 2000mm equivalent with 2x and crop on a 800mm 5.6 lens!)

The issue is shutter speed (and ISO of course). Will the HCam do 1/2000 that one needs? is the mount stable enough?

I actually do not worry so much about the latter since I put the Lens and Body on a rail together and have such as an optical bench. REALLY cuts down vibration. However, the Copal shutter is the limiting factor only 1/250 possible.

SO, as I said, HCam might be promising alternative, if it worked.

regards
Victor

kdphotography

I think we need to have another Capture Integration Pigs in a Blanket in Carmel and invite Stefan to bring the HCam along...

:D

Stefan Steib

Victor

The shortest time we can use is 1/4000 sec - same as the 645DF as this is the same shutter. And we can use this untethered with all backs.
This because our Microcomputer in the camera generates the timings necessary to do this. Actually HCam-B1 is an electronically controlled MF camera like the 645DF but without a Mirror.

The mount is made by Novoflex and we have specified it to the tightest possible extent to still meet the canon spec but also to have best fit without movements- axial or radial.The mount is attached to a 5 mm Aluminium plate that holds everything without any distortions - even under weight.
This enables us to use the Hartblei lenses with Tripod collars to even let the camera move freely - making this a parallaxfree stitchable system.

And yes I also have used Leica R lenses on the HCam-B1, I had my 2,8/180mm Elmarit and 4/250mm Telyt on it and this was pretty nice quality (tried with my P45+).
Actually I believe that many Leica R lenses from 50mm and up were MF lenses (Image circle wise) but with a short flange focal distance- this to use only the sweet spot of this glass- which also explains why these lenses were so expensive ! And there are so many nice R lenses:e.g. 3,4/180 Apo or the Apo/macro 100mm to speak about the most regarded ones.

greetings from Munich

Stefan

Graham Mitchell

I'd have thought the IQ180 would have rendered these areas better than this as my P65+ picks up more detail than that, especially on a sunny, contrasty day. Or is it that these Canon lenses aren't that great when shifted because at present if you hadn't told us it was an IQ180 they look like images out of my 1DsIII.
Remember that these pixels each cover only a quarter of the area of a Canon 1DsIII pixel. You really can't compare 100% crops of two sensors when the resolution differs by so much.

henrkfoto

Is there any way to use these Canon-lenses on a Phase One camera?
Is there anyone who make an adapter for this use?

The more normal adapter would work the other way around..

Henrik

gogopix

Subscriber
Victor

The shortest time we can use is 1/4000 sec - same as the 645DF as this is the same shutter. And we can use this untethered with all backs.
This because our Microcomputer in the camera generates the timings necessary to do this. Actually HCam-B1 is an electronically controlled MF camera like the 645DF but without a Mirror.

The mount is made by Novoflex and we have specified it to the tightest possible extent to still meet the canon spec but also to have best fit without movements- axial or radial.The mount is attached to a 5 mm Aluminium plate that holds everything without any distortions - even under weight.
This enables us to use the Hartblei lenses with Tripod collars to even let the camera move freely - making this a parallaxfree stitchable system.

And yes I also have used Leica R lenses on the HCam-B1, I had my 2,8/180mm Elmarit and 4/250mm Telyt on it and this was pretty nice quality (tried with my P45+).
Actually I believe that many Leica R lenses from 50mm and up were MF lenses (Image circle wise) but with a short flange focal distance- this to use only the sweet spot of this glass- which also explains why these lenses were so expensive ! And there are so many nice R lenses:e.g. 3,4/180 Apo or the Apo/macro 100mm to speak about the most regarded ones.

greetings from Munich

Stefan
So, if I understand correctly, there is a lot of life to squeeze out of the R lenses. And you make the camera in a Contax mount for the back as well, yes?

Can you PM me the price for the HCam with Contax 645 and R mount?

BTW, do you ever sleep?:rolleyes:

regards
Victor

Graham Mitchell

Is there any way to use these Canon-lenses on a Phase One camera?
Is there anyone who make an adapter for this use?

The more normal adapter would work the other way around..

Henrik
That would not be possible due to the shorter flange focal distance of the Canon lenses.

Stefan Steib

Victor
our newest version HCam-B1 has an interchangeable Back mount (made by Silvestri) which can be Hasselblad V, H, Mamiya 645 and Contax 645.
The Leica R Lenses can be used with an adapter from Canon EF to Leica R (e.g. Novoflex)

Yes I sleep, but not so much......:rolleyes:

Regards
Stefan

Last edited:

KeithL

Just out of interest, what power source is needed when using Hasselblad H backs with the HCam-B1?

Stefan Steib

We have a Firewire plugin powerpack for this - 200 €. About the size of a quantum for Flashes.
Same applies to tethered usage of all backs (exception the new IQ´s) on the Unibody Macbook Pro´s, because the firewire port does not supply enough power.

Regards
Stefan

KeithL

Thanks guys.

I'd be looking for a compact and very light solution for un-tethered use and wouldn't need vast reserves of power for intense day long shooting.

jlm

Workshop Member
another option is the Bigwave power adapter, it has enough juice for an hour or two. I have both and prefer the Quantum. You can have my Big wave for $100 (list is about $150); comes with charger, case, USB-FW800 cable, has been used on my H39, plugs right in

[email protected]

KeithL

another option is the Bigwave power adapter, it has enough juice for an hour or two. I have both and prefer the Quantum. You can have my Big wave for $100 (list is about $150); comes with charger, case, USB-FW800 cable, has been used on my H39, plugs right in

[email protected]
Thanks again.

I'm currently looking at various options and doing a bit of research, but I have to say the HCam looks particularly interesting.

Stefan Steib

Keith

we do have a very good dealer in the UK- this is Peartree in London.
They have a demo camera and can answer all your questions that you may have. Ask for Andy Quiney or Lawrie Hope.

[FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=verdana, arial, helvetica][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]Peartree Rental
Andy Quiney
37 Cremer Street
London, E2 8HD
Tel.: 020 7033 7371
Fax: 0207 613 2660
e-mail: [email protected]
http://peartreerental.com/news.php[/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

Regards
Stefan

KeithL

Stefan, thanks, Peartree have an excellent reputation in the UK.

At the moment I'm not sure where I'm headed, I'm juggling many ideas, but it's good to know there's a demo available if I need it.