The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

HC lens compatability with other cameras

Analog6

I was told by my local agent for Hasselblad that they cannot be used on other camera systems. Is this accurate, does anyone know? I love my HC lenses but was thinking about looking at other MF digital systems.

fotografz

I was told by my local agent for Hasselblad that they cannot be used on other camera systems. Is this accurate, does anyone know? I love my HC lenses but was thinking about looking at other MF digital systems.
That is correct. The HC and HCD lenses are electronically controlled, they are not analog/mechanical lenses like the Zeiss V lenses are.

There is no mechanical aperture ring on the H lenses, so no way to stop them down even if there was a dumb adapter to mount them on another camera.

Conversely, you can use the C series Zeiss lenses on any H camera via the CF Adapter. They can be fully indexed for the H meter but require cocking after each exposure, just like when mounted to a V camera such as a 503CW.

-Marc

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
There is no mechanical aperture ring on the H lenses, so no way to stop them down even if there was a dumb adapter to mount them on another camera.
You could mount the lens on an H body, use the DOF Preview button to stop the lens down, then physically eject the battery to keep the lens in that position as you take it off the body.

You would need to repeat this each time you wished to change the aperture, and I cannot comment on how it would effect the life of the lens (I'm sure it's not "good" for the lens but couldn't tell you if it is meaningfully "bad").

It could also only be used at that point on a body with a focal plane shutter, and could only be focused at infinity on bodies designed for lenses with shorter focal flange-distance lenses.

So maybe for some niche applications. For most practical purposes: no.

Maybe you could tell us what you're trying to accomplish that you're not getting from your current system and we could devise alternative means to do so.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
Phase One Partner of the Year
Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
Newsletter | RSS Feed
Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Analog6

Thanks for those replies. Always good to check if info from dealers is accurate.

Doug, I was just contemplating whether or not I might change systems at some time in the future. I shoot mainly landscapes but also enjoy shooting sports and birds and nature things - plus the odd people and buildings - as they 'come along'. I have no immediate plans (due to lack of $$ at the moment) but it is nice to know your options.