Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Ordered a Hy6 and Leaf Aptus II 12 today!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ordered a Hy6 and Leaf Aptus II 12 today!

Quote Originally Posted by David Duffin View Post
    Graham

I'd sure be interested in the reasoning behind your choice of the Hy6 body. It seems to me to be an unusual and brave decision!
    There's lots of us with the AFi-ii 12 so he's not alone. I'm sure Graham will explain his own reasoning, but I can tell you why I chose it:

1) A fantastic set of lenses are available, as well as extensive macro equip.
    2) Snyc speeds up to 1/1000 and all lenses have leaf shutters
    3) 6x6 camera with WLF, 45 and 90 degree prisms plus lupe finder choices
    4) View through all finders big and bright
    5) 1/3 stop adjustment on all settings
    6) Rotating back without removal
    7) Focus bracketing, Exposure bracketing, Focus trap
    8) Excellent ergonomics (IMHO).
    9) Ultra fast release option for special applications (less than 3 milliseconds)
    10) Display of histogram and all relevant settings in grip
    11) Very quick adjustment of relevant settings such as program modes, metering modes, exposure compensation, flash compensation, all without taking hands off shooting position.
    12) New bodies, lenses, parts, and service are available direct from the factory or resellers such as B&H.

Post Thanks / Like

PS.
    The AFi-ii 12 backs can be fit to Alpa bodies, X-Act2, Mamiya RZ, and a variety of technical cameras.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EH21 View Post
    New bodies, lenses, parts, and service are available direct from the factory or resellers such as B&H.
    Be careful of B&H . Per what I was told by Mr. Hans Hartje, CEO of DWH, Hy6 sold by B&H apparent is not DHW Hy6, and as such warranty and support is highly questionable.

I live in Hong Kong but found it worthwhile to contact DHW in Germany direct to verify on agent/dealer here in Hong Kong. After all they are only an email and phone call away, and do speak English . You can try by email and to follow up by phone call. Their phone numbers are here http://www.rolleiflexpages.com/testsandinformation.html albeit country code there is wrong. It should be +49, not +43. Mr. Hartje and Agent was kind to support in special order for my Hy6 to take Leaf battery in handle.

Regards
    Anders

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    Be careful of B&H . Per what I was told by Mr. Hans Hartje, CEO of DWH, Hy6 sold by B&H apparent is not DHW Hy6, and as such warranty and support is highly questionable.

I live in Hong Kong but found it worthwhile to contact DHW in Germany direct to verify on agent/dealer here in Hong Kong. After all they are only an email and phone call away, and do speak English . You can try by email and to follow up by phone call. Their phone numbers are here http://www.rolleiflexpages.com/testsandinformation.html albeit country code there is wrong. It should be +49, not +43. Mr. Hartje and Agent was kind to support in special order for my Hy6 to take Leaf battery in handle.

Regards
    Anders

Anders,
    That's interesting to read and good advice. I do know some items from B&H are supplied directly from DHW (because they arrive with DHW stickers on them) but perhaps they have a stock of older bodies they picked up? A lot of their stock was sold off when they went through the insolvency and dealers picked up a lot of it. You can see on some ebay venders such as 9daysHK and BegruetCamera that they indicate the bodies were produced by DHW this year. Something to look out for though on used bodies I guess - always best to check with the factory first. Certainly for the bodies the price is cheaper from the factory and you can customize your body and order - for example if you don't want a film back or 80mm lens you can buy the body without for a lot cheaper.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Eric,

It is getting more interesting...

Livecoal is Rollei agent for Hong Kong, Mainland China and I believe also Singapore and Macao. Their dealer 9days is in same building... and is the one I ordered from... and you can of course negotiate price... (from dealer, not agent).

You may also note on Livecoal website that BegruetCamera is not at all listed as a dealer of Livecoal. Also, non of the major camera shops in Hong Kong carry Rollei by Livecoal (yet), only select small ones have jumped on due to what someone told me the requirement to be a dealer.

Actually if you look on BegruetCamera ebay items they are listed as in "Hong Kong" but are said to be shipping from Guangzou (is in Guangdong Province, China Mainland). Why is that? That means it is complete B.S. that they are based in Hong Kong, which to my knowledge they are not! If you follow prices on Ebay BegruetCamera also overprice hoping someone will buy goods from them! Thus in my book they are not credible and NO WAY I would trust them. Same go for other Ebay dealers that say located in "Hong Kong" and ship from Guangdong or ship by China Post. Here in Hong Kong we ship from Hong Kong and we use Hong Kong Post, since China Post do not operate in Hong Kong, only in China Mainland. Hong Kong belongs to China but is like a different country! Unfortunate there are a number of ebay sellers on China side using location "Hong Kong" since Hong Kong give impression of more confidence...

9days and Livecoal are credible and are authorized by DHW. A Hy6 from Livecoal or one of their dealers comes with one year warranty by DHW and three years warranty from Livecoal. During first year Livecoal also provide a loaner.

Hong Kong. An advise, do not believe that all dealers are credible, you need know where to be able shop with trust. There are also dealers that direct import their own grey market products with in shop warranty or Japan warranty etc. Interesting place!

Regards
    Anders

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by David Duffin View Post
    I'd sure be interested in the reasoning behind your choice of the Hy6 body. It seems to me to be an unusual and brave decision!
    Hi David, fair question. First of all, I have a set of lenses for this system already which I have been using on the Rollei 6008AF. These are excellent lenses and I don't feel any other platform offers better significantly lenses at the moment. The best alternatives seem to be the Phase Schneider lenses and the Leica S2 lenses. Both lineups are less complete and must be bought new rather than used because they are so new in the market. I don't think they offer a macro or tilt/shift lens yet which the Hy6 platform does.

Then there is the choice of 3 viewfinders possible with the Hy6, the rotating sensor or rotating back options allowing you to keep the camera vertical at all times also allowing use of the waist level finder in portrait mode, and never having to remove the digital back. There's the ergonomics, fast flash sync, bracketing features, focus trapping, ability to run both camera and back from one battery, built-in colour temperature sensor, TTL metering built into camera body so it works with all finder options, 2ms shutter lag, etc. It's a very capable camera.
    Last edited by Graham Mitchell; 12th July 2011 at 01:46.

Post Thanks / Like

As to buying from the factory:

I found a demo Leaf back at a dealer in Portugal who was faced with the possibility of sending it back to Kodak or selling it. So it was a good price. I then contacted DHW who were quite willing to sell me a body without a back, configured for a Leaf battery (they were ahead of me on this, I didn't really understand the need for that).

The two parts came together surrounded by a collection of lenses built up over the past 15 years - and mirabile dictu, has worked like a charm. The back just plugged into the body and worked from day 1.

The snags? Once in a while need to shut down and start up again. Rare, but it happens. I've had the odd gremlin, but they mostly go away. The meter is sometimes on the money, sometimes seems off by .7 EV, but I can't tell if that's me, the camera or something else. I suppose it should get straightened out, but I just shoot to the histogram and don't worry that much about it. If the factory were next door, I'd go talk to them about it (or even a dealer).

All the lenses work well, the focus confirmation is just dead on, allowing a whole bunch of manual lenses to be re-invigorated. Rotating sensor is lovely (how do other people deal with moving their backs on and off?) and everything is very flexible. WLF used to be ideal, but I now find the 45º finder very nice also. Surprised, but then again, this is a camera to grow with.

Post Thanks / Like

Graham I've been checking the specs of the Hy6, and it certainly has quite a few unique and (to me) unusual features. An exciting purchase for sure! The finder options are fascinating. Hope it works out well for you! Get lots of batteries, even though you'll only need one at a time
    Last edited by David Duffin; 12th July 2011 at 04:04.

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone knows of a compact charger for two Leaf batteries???

Regards
    Anders
    i've bought mine from capture integration... they are the only one to carry it...

Capture Integration's custom Hahenel Battery Charger kit contains plates to charge both Leaf, Phase One, and Canon 5D Mark 2 (LP-E6) batteries. It provides a readout of current charge level even when not plugged in - allowing you to use it as a battery checker as well as charger. It folds together so that the electronic contacts are protected during transport. The kit also includes a car charger.

http://www.captureintegration.com/st...e-accessories/

Post Thanks / Like

Just for my understanding, is the Leaf Aptus-II 12(R) the only digital back option for the Hy6 camera?
    Does a Sinar digital back or an older Hasselblad digital back support the Hy6 platform as well?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by JorisV View Post
    Just for my understanding, is the Leaf Aptus-II 12(R) the only digital back option for the Hy6 camera?
    Does a Sinar digital back or an older Hasselblad digital back support the Hy6 platform as well?
    Of course the Sinar backs work with the Hy6 - i use the eMotion 75 LV, but also the other Sinar backs (eMotion 54LV and the eSprit 65, etc.) are compatible...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JorisV View Post
    Some older Leaf backs were made in the AFi/Hy6 mount too but I'm not sure if they are still new stock or whether you would have to find them on the used market.

As baudolino wrote, some Sinar backs are also compatible but again I am not sure if they are still current stock or available on used market only.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. You mention the "new stock they sell" somewhere. Is that a confirmation that DHW is indeed making new cameras and not only selling deadstock? I have never seen that confirmed anywhere that this is indeed the case.

Post Thanks / Like

Joris, I think the issue is not so clear cut. Most camera makers make models in batches, and continue to sell that batch for some time until they either replace the model with a new one, or produce another batch of the same. There's no reason for DHW to produce more while they have stock. Whether they would be prepared to do so is a question I can't answer, but they do seem serious about developing the platform, with a new lens also on the way.

Post Thanks / Like

They have introduced two new lenses - the 150 in AF (and I think manual focus) and 120 (manual focus only). And also the 6x6 film back. While some have suggested they may have made new stock cameras, but like Graham noted, its not clear. But the lenses are new, and are in the marketplace, albeit in small numbers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham,
    you are going to love the hy6
    I have been using mine for a few weeks now no complaints at all.
    I just ordered the 45 degree finder from dhw today.
    I wish I could have afforded the II 12 back, but it was out my my budget.
    I am very pleased with my aptus II 7 afi, though I would love to find a used aptus II 10 afi back.
    I am very happy now with my new setup, leaf afi, and Sinar arTec tech view camera. I feel I have the best of both worlds.

steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

Anders,
    Thanks for the insights and info re the Honk Kong dealers and Begruet Camera. Honestly I've avoided dealing with anyone except directly with DHW and B&H photo. 9daysHK seems to list quite a few hard to find Rollei items on ebay and their site so good to know. The only reason I'd not go with DHW would be to avoid the difficulty of the bank wire payment process, so I might be tempted for small items, however DHW have offered me the lowest prices of anyone and shipments usually arrive in the US within a week from payment - actually faster than B&H.

The camera continues to amaze me. You read a lot about how the 80mega pix will require rigorous treatment but I'm getting quite sharp pictures handheld in natural light with it, and I am thrilled with the AF focus accuracy and convenience of the rotating back - and also sensorflex.

Graham, I saw the picture you posted on LuLa with the Aptus 12. I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with the AFi-ii 12!

Beyondthesea

Thanks Anders for his advice. The website from the new agent in Hong Kong seems transparent enough:
    http://livecoal.com.hk/shop/?lang=1

Post Thanks / Like

The Hy6 arrived today. Just waiting for the Leaf back now. After the 6008AF, this thing feels a lot smaller, lighter and tighter. It's so similar to the 6008 yet so much more modern. Nice! Might run a roll of 120 film through it while I wait for the back (if you can buy 120 film in Dubai!)

Plus Hy6 does not accept traditional mechanical cable release...
    Now that I have the remote control I can confirm that it has a 2-stage button, so that explains in part why they have not gone for a mechanical release.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Now that I have the remote control I can confirm that it has a 2-stage button, so that explains in part why they have not gone for a mechanical release.
    They could have done like Mamiya, allowed for both, the mechanical just screwed to shutter button. Small detail though, great camera as is. Will be really interesting to hear (and I hope also we can learn from your impression) after you have worked it with the 12! The 12 made me finally give up film, sold my last 5x boxes of Velvia 50 4x5 the other week.

Regards
    Anders

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify - has MLU and shutter release? Would be nice. The Leaf remote (plugs in to the back) only has shutter release.

Post Thanks / Like

No mirror lockup (unlike the 6000 remote), just the same two stage button as you find on the camera body.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to throw a curve into the cable release discussion - I am wondering really if there's much difference using mirror up anyhow. Certainly with older cameras and other makes, but the Hy6 is pretty well damped. For example, I've been doing some side by side testing of the AFi-ii 12 fitted with the 90mm apo macro lens and the CFii-39MS on a 6008AF with the same lens. The multishot files benefitted from having mirror up in between all frames, however the AFi did not but still got more detail. I am starting to wonder how much the mirror up matters with the AFi. Anyone really test this?

Post Thanks / Like

Not scientifically, but empirically: shooting the 300 lens on a monopod, with MLU and getting some pretty clean shots. With mirror - less so.

So too, MLU has come in handy with normal lenses (60 or 80 mm) and slow shutter speeds, hand held. I typically take 3 quick shots with MLU, and usually one of these is sharp and the others aren't. At slow speeds hand held, the ones with the mirror in action can be a bit soft, although the dampening is quite good, and better than the 6008.

So while it seems that with the Hy6 the mirror dampening allows you to pick up about two stops on the 6008 (for handheld), the next jump benefits from MLU and leaf shutters.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EH21 View Post
    Graham,
    I run my AFi 12 with just one battery in the grip. I've shot tethered to my mac book pro without any power problems or need for powered hub. The firewire 800 cable itself does present problems shooting tethered as the connections are not as secure as FW 400 were - it will come loose easily from the computer side.

Your comment about built in Q-base had me curious so I looked and I now see what I was missing. The bottom of the camera has both 1/4 and 3/8 screws and so the obvious thing is to just buy a bottom plate and screw it in, however the bottom of the camera is cleverly designed to fit right into this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...k_Release.html - and that is really cool! The part that has the screw threads has arca style bevels in it already - no bottom plate needed! This would save the weight of an additional plate from the camera package and still allow other cameras to fit the tripod because the q=base will take other arca camera plates. Total genius on Rollei's part!

Regards,

Eric
    Yes,
    the Q-Base does work very well. I dont have my Hy6 any more but had used it with the Novoflex Q-Base without any problems.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_streng View Post
    Yes,
    the Q-Base does work very well. I dont have my Hy6 any more but had used it with the Novoflex Q-Base without any problems.
    Yes, I tried that too today - rock solid, and easy to release. Perhaps a little fiddly to mount, but maybe it gets faster with practice.

Post Thanks / Like

This set seems very nice Graham... Happy for you.
    I didn't know a lot about the Hy6 but after reading all of these comments, it sounds not good for my wallet!!
    I was first interested with the RZPro II to mount my Aptus II 10.
    Does an Aptus II 10 will fit on the Hy6?? Or the need of AFI is necessary?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme.E View Post
    Does an Aptus II 10 will fit on the Hy6?? Or the need of AFI is necessary?
    There is/was a version of the Aptus II 10 which fits on the Hy6/Afi but you may need to change the mount of your back if your back is currently fitted with another mount. Best to talk to your dealer about it.

Some info here: http://www.photographyblog.com/news/...el_leaf_afi_10

Post Thanks / Like

Thank's Graham

My back is mounted Mamiya 645. Just hope it'd exist the same kind of adapter they do for the RZ.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jérôme.E View Post
    My back is mounted Mamiya 645. Just hope it'd exist the same kind of adapter they do for the RZ.
    No, you would need to swap the back for the AFi mount version.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok I'll ask my dealer... but not my bank advisor

Regards

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Graham
    congrats on your purchase! I am very interested to hear your report on it. Am sure that you will make it sing.It is a sweet system.Ive had a Hy6 for awhile now with various backs-sinar75 plus leaf 10 and now12. The 12 and the camera are a great combination.The only real(a minor one) negative is that it eats batteries.- Will be interested to see what workflow you use. I am shooting to card then opening in Leafcapture - saving as mos then importing to lightroom using the DNG editor to build profiles - with good results.
    how many sleeps do you have before the back arrives?!

Cheers JOHN

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jps View Post
    The only real(a minor one) negative is that it eats batteries.-
    I will have a total of 5 batteries. Should be enough, but thanks for the warning.

Will be interested to see what workflow you use. I am shooting to card then opening in Leafcapture - saving as mos then importing to lightroom using the DNG editor to build profiles - with good results.
    Have you considered Capture One? I will be running some files through various workflows and seeing which produces best results and which suits me best. I like the LR workflow but I did some noise tests using an ISO 800 sample file and C1 was able to give me a better noise removal than LR. I also quite like C1's self-contained sessions which can be moved around and archived easily. Unless I'm mistaken, LR builds a huge database of preview files which keeps growing even after you have archived the source files. Anyway, too soon to make a final call - will keep you posted.

how many sleeps do you have before the back arrives?!
    Probably around 6 nights, but no sleep

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Graham

Yes I do use C1 on occasion -however I find the lightroom workflow easier and like the flexible DAM so I manage all my photos via lightroom and edit in C1 when required. . I use mainly iso 50 and 100 so NR is not a issue for me. You can manage previews via prefs. to discard them after a certain time.
    try to get some sleep!
    Cheers JOHN

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Just to clarify - has MLU and shutter release? Would be nice. The Leaf remote (plugs in to the back) only has shutter release.
    On my Leaf Hy6 i hit the MLU button, then use a inexpensive electronic cable release that plugs into my Leaf Aptus II 7 AFI back and works like a charm. I goes sif shooting film you would still need the expensive rollie cable release.

Though after shooting this weekend, I wonder if the whole MLU / cable release really makes a difference, yes the mirror is very well dampened and also leaf shutter so basically no vibration which is good news for long lens shooting, my longest is the 250mm Zeiss PQS, which I have had no problem with at all shutter speeds.

In regards to batteries, I have 3, I have gotten at least 100 captures per battery, I think the display on the Aptus back is the big battery drain.

Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

I got the Leaf back today!

Looks great together with the camera - and I can run both the camera and back from the one battery, as I'd hoped. I can also shoot tethered directly with a Macbook Pro, which I was told is not normally possible without a powered Firewire hub. Perhaps that's due to the power the Leaf receives from the camera battery.

I must thank my local dealer (Bryan) and Yair (Leaf) and Paul (Phase One) for chipping in and surprising me with a dual battery charger as a gift. Very thoughtful, guys!

So far I have just updated the back software and run a few tests. Will report back when I have more to say.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham
    Excellent, Can't wait to see some images.
    Quick update. I got my Q=Base yesterday, took me a while to figure out, but after practicing and making sure it was in the correct "mode" to accept the camera, works good. Nice not having to add a plate to the bottom of the Hy6,
    Now I just got my Sinar arTec back from Sinar today finally, so now figuring out how that works.
    Steven
    Steven Kornreich
    www.kuau.com

Post Thanks / Like

It's Christmas all round

Post Thanks / Like

It's Christmas all round
    In that case, I still have this AFi lens for sale:
    http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...=AFI+50MM+lens

It's a beauty and needs a fine home!