Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ordered a Hy6 and Leaf Aptus II 12 today!

Post Thanks / Like

Ordered a Hy6 and Leaf Aptus II 12 today!

Ordered a Leaf Aptus II 12, Hy6, waist level finder, 45 degree finder, 6060 film magazine and remote control today! Can't wait for the new toys to arrive

I discovered from a little research that the Hy6 has a quick release plate built into the base as part of the camera. None of the Hy6 owners I've told this to so far knew about it, so I thought I'd pass the information along here. It's designed to mate with a Novoflex Q-BASE. I'll pick one of those up too and test it when the camera arrives. Nice feature, avoiding a point of potential failure/instability.

I also ordered the Hy6 from DHW with the Leaf battery contacts, and I plan to run the back and camera from the one power source. The Leaf battery is slightly higher voltage and may be a more reliable battery for running both the camera and back, but I'll soon know for sure. This is how it really should be - worrying about one battery at a time instead of two, and having just one charger. I'm also hoping this will allow me to run the Leaf back tethered to a Macbook without using an intermediate powered Firewire hub - the Macbook Firewire port is apparently not strong enough to run the back directly.
    Last edited by Graham Mitchell; 8th July 2011 at 12:29.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Ordered a Hy6 and Leaf Aptus II 12 today!

Congratulations Graham. Good luck with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Great Graham, very happy for you!

Thierry

Thierry Hagenauer
    Alpa Switzerland Consultant

[email protected]
    www.alpa.ch

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Graham,

Great news! Having read your many posts on PQ lenses and Rollei you really deserve this. Assumably it is the Afi-II 12 ??

I am new to Rollei and with Hy6, 80mm 2.8 AFD, Afi-II 12. Stepping to it from Mamiya AFDIII i can say;

Hy6 - Waist level finder with rotatings sensor on 6x6 focus screen is a liberation and revolution of seeing!
    - Ergonomics are superior to Mamiya, balance is excellent, and in what feels lighter to hold, less bulky and smaller to carry. The Mamiya simply odd shape...
    - Focus is superb, manual focus indicators superior.
    - Simple to use.

80mm 2.8 AFD - It is SHARP.
    - Important it has character with pleasing bokeh that vary with aperture. It can be smooth, yet in one early shot almost like a petzval!
    - This is likely the very best lens I used.

Afi-II 12 - comparing to my Aptus 65;
    - Pixels are more, but somehow that is secondary, except individual hair shows. Capture One do not feel much slower at all - remarkable (except import and processing que). C1 zooming is in steps and same number steps to 100% as prior, thus all pixels mean is additional detail per say.
    - What really impress is better colors, finer gradation of colors and higher DR. The results are phenominal in appearing more natural, more photographic, less digital, more pleasing rendering and capable at also significant improve to rendering of light in high DR scenes and higlight transitions in landscapes. My Aptus 65 had failed at these... no matter it was superior to all other digital I used...
    - Having for landscapes shot film alongside of digital for last six years becuse of Velvia 50 pleasing rendering and colors, Afi-II 12 seem to finally bring similar sensation in pleasing rendering. Not same, but more control.
    - My last 5x boxes of 4x5 has sold.

+ tilt screen is really great with waist level finder!

Above is not because new toy to play with. It simply brought me back to the image.

It is a great tool. You will enjoy!

Good luck!

Regards
    Anders

---
    P.S. Did you order for Leaf battery in handle? Else may I suggest you contact DHW, it is much convenient.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Will start a collection Graham right after I'm done. LOL

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very best of luck with the new kit Graham... sounds like an awesome matchup. I really liked the Hy6 camera, it had it's quirks but I still think it's state of the art. Let me suggest that you make sure the firmware on the H6 is the latest version. Among other things I believe it improved the AF but it had to be sent in to get it done... which I never got around to before switching platforms. I've still got a few Rollei lenses floating around which I will be listing for sale soon. I'll send you a pm before I list them just in case.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Very best of luck with the new kit Graham... sounds like an awesome matchup. I really liked the Hy6 camera, it had it's quirks but I still think it's state of the art. Let me suggest that you make sure the firmware on the H6 is the latest version. Among other things I believe it improved the AF but it had to be sent in to get it done... which I never got around to before switching platforms. I've still got a few Rollei lenses floating around which I will be listing for sale soon. I'll send you a pm before I list them just in case.
    Thanks, David. I spoke to DHW and they said all the new stock they sell has been fitted with the upgrade and has latest firmware.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Anders_HK View Post
    P.S. Did you order for Leaf battery in handle? Else may I suggest you contact DHW, it is much convenient.
    Yes, I did. Are you running this configuration? If so, are you running the back and camera from the one battery? And if you are doing that, can you work tethered connected directly to a Macbook/Pro?

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Graham, welcome to the Hy6/AFI club. Only few months with mine but will not give away.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Congratulations Graham! - looking forward to your photos and observations. I will check the plate on my new HY6 - haven't noticed before?? I think you will enjoy the Leaf back - the 75 I had produced amazing out of the box colour. let us know what you think of the colour in the new backs.

I have news of my own to share in due course

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Mitchell View Post
    Yes, I did. Are you running this configuration? If so, are you running the back and camera from the one battery? And if you are doing that, can you work tethered connected directly to a Macbook/Pro?
    I run the back from one battery, camera from the other. The back's battery runs down first, leaving you with a "reserve" from the camera's battery (which uses up very little power).

With one battery, you can start the camera and back together and turn both off together. With using two batteries, you can start the camera and back from one switch, but you have to turn the back off separately. Its pretty clear once you have it in hand.

Congrats. Hope it goes well.
    Last edited by Geoff; 9th July 2011 at 02:16. Reason: clarification

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, DHW Hy6 with Leaf battery in handle, three year warranty from Hong Kong agent. Have had it just short of two months and a certain keeper. Big step from Mamiya. Hy6 is likely the best portrait/AF camera out there for MFDB. I can say I had no thoughts to get one, but handling one some months back and available stock of DHW Hy6 in Hong Kong convinced me.

I tend to run on both batteries. With only battery in handle it runs shorter time. Have not tried tethered yet, but I imagine should still need the battery in handle to power camera. The big plus is only Leaf batteries and chargers!

Anyone knows of a compact charger for two Leaf batteries???

Regards
    Anders

Post Thanks / Like

Graham,
    I run my AFi 12 with just one battery in the grip. I've shot tethered to my mac book pro without any power problems or need for powered hub. The firewire 800 cable itself does present problems shooting tethered as the connections are not as secure as FW 400 were - it will come loose easily from the computer side.

Your comment about built in Q-base had me curious so I looked and I now see what I was missing. The bottom of the camera has both 1/4 and 3/8 screws and so the obvious thing is to just buy a bottom plate and screw it in, however the bottom of the camera is cleverly designed to fit right into this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...k_Release.html - and that is really cool! The part that has the screw threads has arca style bevels in it already - no bottom plate needed! This would save the weight of an additional plate from the camera package and still allow other cameras to fit the tripod because the q=base will take other arca camera plates. Total genius on Rollei's part!

Regards,

Eric
    Last edited by EH21; 9th July 2011 at 23:15.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EH21 View Post
    the bottom of the camera is cleverly designed to fit right into this http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...k_Release.html - and that is really cool! The part that has the screw threads has arca style bevels in it already - no bottom plate needed! This would save the weight of an additional plate from the camera package and still allow other cameras to fit the tripod because the q=base will take other arca camera plates. Total genius on Rollei's part!
    Exactly, but it's not just the weight saving, it's the removal of one point of potential instability or failure. Plus I like the camera to be as close to the ball head as possible (the further away it is, the more it moves with the same angle of shake. That was a weakness of the 6000 series quick release). I just got a Novoflex plate for my 5DII so that I can easily swap cameras on the head now. Just waiting for the Hy6 to arrive!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I discovered from a little research that the Hy6 has a quick release plate built into the base as part of the camera. None of the Hy6 owners I've told this to so far knew about it, so I thought I'd pass the information along here. It's designed to mate with a Novoflex Q-BASE. I'll pick one of those up too and test it when the camera arrives. Nice feature, avoiding a point of potential failure/instability.
    Graham, I've known about the base plate right from the beginning, but be careful, it doesn't work with the usual Arca Swiss clamps - at least most of them, because it is quite narrow. It is designed to be used with the Novoflex Q-base (I think that's what it's called) which is quite heavy for what it is (an over-engineered clamp....) and is not that quick to use. I ended up fitting a standard Arca baseplate on my Hy6 - not so elegant, but works with the RRS clamp that I use on my Burzynski head. regards, Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, so much for the cleverness when limit to Novoflex and not made slight longer for the Arca which is industry standard! Plus Hy6 does not accept traditional mechanical cable release...

Those are the only quirks I can bring to table. Yet... minor if used for portraits... and mirror lock up button is a breeze

Post Thanks / Like

Plus Hy6 does not accept traditional mechanical cable release...
    Not sure I'm following you here. Why would they offer a mechanical release? This is an electronically controlled shutter.

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure I'm following you here. Why would they offer a mechanical release? This is an electronically controlled shutter.
    It can still be designed to accept mechanical shutter release cable, same as Mamiya AFD III etc in the shutter button. Simply is great convenience and far simpler to find and easier/more compact to carry in bag.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a Leaf elec shutter cable, pretty simple, which goes in the back, and I guess DHW makes a more complex (and expensive) one that goes in the camera. The Leaf one has worked well so far, and no need for the other cable.

As to the plate... really great design idea - but not sure they optimized on the right plate manuf. No biggie tho.

Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Graham,

Enjoy your new gear. Love the website, the models are stunning and make-up is fabulous!

I'm curious about support for the Hy6 here in the states, do you know of any contacts that could provide info? Thanks again for the photographs...and inspiration!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    There is a Leaf elec shutter cable, pretty simple, which goes in the back, and I guess DHW makes a more complex (and expensive) one that goes in the camera. The Leaf one has worked well so far, and no need for the other cable.
    If the RC 120 is just a shutter release, then you're right. However, the Rollei 6000 release had both a mirror release and a shutter release, which was a great design. I'm hoping the Hy6 remote is the same. Hard to tell from this image:

Last edited by Graham Mitchell; 10th July 2011 at 06:53.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    As to the plate... really great design idea - but not sure they optimized on the right plate manuf. No biggie tho.
    True, they could have gone with a more universal option. At least the Novoflex seems very solid.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    I'm curious about support for the Hy6 here in the states, do you know of any contacts that could provide info?
    Sorry, I don't know much about the US options, but there are some names in this thread you could try: http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00XgWk

Post Thanks / Like

not to be glib, but US support is probably shipping back to DHW. There are a couple of Rollei 6000 guys in NJ, but I don't think they have worked on Hy6's yet.

If the RC 120 is just a shutter released, then you're right. However, the Rollei 6000 release had both a mirror release and a shutter release, which was a great design. I'm hoping the Hy6 remote is the same. Hard to tell from this image:
    +1

Post Thanks / Like

Try contacting Capture Integration, or else ask DHW direct per tele info on Rolleiflexpages.com.

Ah yah, the remote shutter release and shortness of aeasthetc pleasing built in plate are minor . Compared to other offerings the camera really shines!

On another note the rights to Hy6 are with Leaf per my understanding. With such excellent camera let us hope them and Phase One realize to take it further. Not only that, the lenses seem far better than Mamiya, all Schneider and Zeiss, not only quality but also very fine characters it seems.

Post Thanks / Like

I dealt with Reiner Schönrock last week, who seemed knowledgeable and helpful. You can reach him on +49 531 6800 293

Post Thanks / Like

Congratulations Graham. You have done great work with the 6008 so I am looking forward to see what inspiration you get from using the Hy6.

Post Thanks / Like

Not only that, the lenses seem far better than Mamiya, all Schneider and Zeiss, not only quality but also very fine characters it seems.
    We love the Hy6 camera and the images from the Rollei lenses. The Rollei lenses are built with high precision and extreme durability. HOWEVER, Rollei did not take into account one thing in their design .... environmental sealing!

We find the Rollei lenses to be the worst environmentally sealed lenses from any manufacturer, and we use them all (Zeiss, Leica, Mamiya/Phase One). For some reason, dust and moisture gets sucked into these Rollei lenses faster and worse than any other lens. If not regularly maintained, the helicoid threads as well as the aperture diaphragm will eventually "stick". We have even had one lens jam so badly that it had to be sent back to Rollei.

So my advice is to regularly maintain your lenses by having them CLA'ed every year. And be VERY cautious about buying used Rollei lenses, as many people do not properly care for them. You can check the accumulation of "gunk" inside these lenses in most cases by simply looking through it from the rear element. Shining a small flashlight from the rear can also help you see if specs of fungus have started to grow inside it.

Graham, Good luck with your new equipment. Other than its need for higher lens maintenance, it is a great system!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, David, though I am a bit surprised to hear you had so much trouble with the lenses. Did you buy them used? Do you spend much time in hostile environments? I bought 6 Rollei lenses used and have used them for 3 years so far without issue. I do keep them out of the rain though.

Post Thanks / Like

Anders - YMVW but my experience shooting with the AFi-12 at slow speeds has been pretty good. I find that I am getting sharp shots handheld at 1/50 pretty easily and even slower like 1/20 on occasion (with wider lenses) all without using the mirror up. I'm really pleased with the Hy6/AFi body. The mirror up button is very convenient on the Hy6 - right by your thumb, but it seems the camera is pretty stable without it and I've not felt I needed it. Just curious - have you compared results with mirror up and without when shooting handheld?

David Klepacki - what's your shooting environment like and are you referring to specifically AFD or older lenses? I've never seen that myself, nor heard that complaint before and I correspond regularly with many rollei shooters. The one issue I have encountered having moved to the AFi from 6000 series is that some older AF lenses will report an error when shooting - even though they work fine with the camera, and need a firmware upgrade.

Regarding the lens firmware - which is reported in the camera grip display - has anyone seen a list of what is current for each lens?
    Last edited by EH21; 10th July 2011 at 10:30.

Post Thanks / Like

Eric -

lens firmware? Didn't know it existed. Is this for the AF lenses only or also the PQ manual lenses?

As to weather sealing - haven't had a problem with this issue, and I have had some of the lenses for over 15 years. But sometimes the oil and the shutter blades can be an issue - and it is recommended by one service guy to store the lenses face up, and to exercise them every few months.

Post Thanks / Like

The lenses are not that old. I think the oldest we had was the Rollei 110/2 from 2005. You can see how poorly they are sealed by just looking into the rear element while focusing. The electrical wires are typically exposed and you can practically insert your finger inside the lens barrel.

We have had dust/gunk problems in all the Rollei lenses, but only two of them that actually needed immediate service. Once we acquired the newer AFD lenses, we were much more careful and aware of the environmental issues.

Please do not misunderstand me. The optical quality of these Rollei lenses are superb. They just need much more care. To this day, I would only feel safe with using the Rollei lenses in the studio. You cannot bring them to a desert environment without getting a ton of sand and dust in them. For example, there is no way a Rollei lens would survive a shoot in the red centre of Australia (e.g., Coober Pedy ranches or places in and around King's canyon). The inside of the lenses will be caked with red dust. You will have similar lens issues if shooting north of Beijing in the desert there. And of course, some of the slot canyons in the southwest US can be merciless as well if there is any rock movement to get the sand/dust airborne. I would also not feel comfortable using the Rollei lenses for long periods (days) in high humidity areas for the same reasons.

I think it is a lot like sausage. Maybe you do not want to look to actually see what is inside.

Post Thanks / Like

When my AFi camera firmware was upgraded to 3.10A3 by DHW, they also "upgraded" firmware in two AFD lenses from 1.14A to 1.13B: AFD 2.880 and AFD 2.8/50. 1.91 Firmware in my AFD 2.8/180 was said to be up to date. Both lens and camera upgrades required both hardware and software changes, so everything had to be shipped to DHW.

I've asked both DHW and others the following questions about these upgrades, but haven't succeeded in finding anyone who can answer them:

1 - What is the new "focus Sensor" size selection and how it might be used in practice. It would be helpful to have a diagram showing the effective sensor sizes and locations.

2 - What are the units in "AF Focus Offset" and how are they applied? Can this adjustment be used to touch-up infinity focus for different backs or lenses? How do you recommend that adjustments be made and calibrated?

3 - Does "AF Focus Offset" have effect only with AFD lenses? What about Rollei AF lenses? And do these also need an upgrade? How is focus confirmation (for manual focus lenses) affected? Or focus of AFD, AF, or manual focus lenses in manual focus mode?

4 - What is meaning of the "Status II" display, i.e., each of the following:
    • Focus
    • Target
    • Exp meter
    • Back sync mode
    • Back in/out

5 - I see that the new upgraded firmware level in my 2.8/50 and 2.8/80 AFD lenses is 1.13B. The firmware was previously at level 1.14A. What gives? I'd also appreciate an explanation and description of the upgrade changes made in each of the lenses.

6 - How will future upgrades be made? Will it be possible to download revised firmware or will it be necessary to return the camera and lenses to you for further upgrades?

7 - My Rollei AF 2.8/80 lens, has firmware version 1.12B. Does it need upgrade, too? And what about my Rollei 6008AF (I don't have Rollei Masterware so I can't read out the firmware level)?

Dave.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In reply to delled's posting, specifically your point 2:

(1) as to the AF offset, one way to do this is (I presume) to have DHW make the measurements for you and tell you what the offsets should be for each of your AF lenses. I had this done by Sinar while I was in Zurich to get my Sinar Hy6 fixed (it had a simple problem with one of the pins in the bayonet, they fixed it while I waited and also upgraded by firmware and printed a little card with offsets for each of my lenses). don't know if DHW would do this for you, but you can ask. My 80 mm lens gets +1, the 50 mm lens gets -7 and the 180 mm telephoto gets -6. I am not sure if there is any difference between AF and AFD lenses as far as this feature is concerned. In any event, the camera does not automatically change the offsets depending on the lens you are using - you have to change the offset manually every time you change the lens. I see no reason why this would not work with the AF lenses; my lenses are AFD though.

(2) you can do this yourself, with the Lens Align Pro. The best way is to tether the camera/MFDB, have it save images to your HD via Captureshop or whatever SW your back uses so that you can compare subsequent images quickly. Start with 0 adjustment and see where the lens is focusing and try the adjustments until you get it right. I haven't noticed any focus shift with the lenses, so if you do this wide open for each lens, you should be good.

I am afraid I don't know the answers to your other questions. I usually use the smallest focusing sensor size and assume that it is the same size as the little circle in the middle of the viewfinder.

Post Thanks / Like

David Klepacki,
    Unless you plan on traveling with your rear lens caps off, I can't see why what you describe could be a problem. Definitely one can see into the rear of the lens - same is true into the mirror box, and also true for every camera that has interchangeable lenses. I've traveled all around with my Rollei... death valley, yosemite, etc ... been caught in the rain, and not had problems, but I'm not foolish enough to open up my camera and change my lenses in a sandstorm, and I'll bet most readers of this forum are not either.

Dave,
    Regarding the AF sensor size setting in the options setting of the camera that has three area sizes, I have only used the smallest area which is the default setting, and should experiment with the other settings. I too would like to know how much the area changes by.

The offset setting is used to calibrate the focus confirmation indicators in the display seen through the viewfinder. As it does not change the physical placing of the sensor, lens or focus screen I doubt that this setting can do anything other than change where the camera thinks the sensor is and thus where the focus indicators will show focus. It will affect all lenses not just AFD lenses. You mention infinity focus - this is something I've put a lot of time into - not being able to focus to infinity is either a function of the infinity stop on the lens not being set correctly or the spacing of the sensor/film plane not being set correctly. Contact me privately for more info.

btw - My AF 50/2.8 also shows firmware 1.13B and was purchased new just a few months ago.

Geoff,
    That's a good tip on storing the lenses, and from my experience 'exercising' them is a good idea.

Eric

Post Thanks / Like

Eric,

I take meticulous care of my own equipment, always use the lens caps and of course never change lenses without protection. I am just sharing here my own experiences with lenses that I have used over the last 15+ years. I have used many camera systems over the years, including Contax, Hasselblad V, Rollei 6008, Sinar M, Sinar Hy6, and Mamiya/Phase systems, and have owned quite a few of the Zeiss and Schneider lenses for these systems. All I can tell you is from my experience, the Rollei lenses are the least weather sealed of any of these other lenses, and were found to have the most dust problems. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I am only advocating awareness to those people on this forum who may not be aware of this weakness in the Rollei lens designs, so that they do not find out the hard way.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EH21 View Post
    Anders - YMVW but my experience shooting with the AFi-12 at slow speeds has been pretty good. I find that I am getting sharp shots handheld at 1/50 pretty easily and even slower like 1/20 on occasion (with wider lenses) all without using the mirror up. I'm really pleased with the Hy6/AFi body. The mirror up button is very convenient on the Hy6 - right by your thumb, but it seems the camera is pretty stable without it and I've not felt I needed it. Just curious - have you compared results with mirror up and without when shooting handheld?
    Most shooting handheld so far, only two times on tripod. However, my impression after just two months of using the Hy6 is in line with yours.

Adding to it, compared to Mamiya 645 it is not only that the grip and balance is better, but I believe the fact of using a waist level finder result in a more stable hold since there is no need to lift camera high to head level and which otherwise makes heavier to hold and thus more difficult to hold steady.

Regards
    Anders

Post Thanks / Like

Anders/Graham,

Do either of you hesitate to use the Hy6 in inclement weather such as dust or harsh environments. I ask only because of the fan located in the DB. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Graham congrats. I wish you give us the eye candy of looking at your new camera through pictures at different angles. How about a little video on Youtube showing how you operate the camera? Pleeeeeeeease
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like

Anders/Graham,

Do either of you hesitate to use the Hy6 in inclement weather such as dust or harsh environments. I ask only because of the fan located in the DB. Thanks.
    Leaf backs are SOLID and DURABLE

The Afi-II 12 is my second Leaf and cost $$ from my personal accounts, and frank very high $$ for me personally. I am a serious amateur and it yields no income.

As an expat my current base is Hong Kong and with travels across South East Asia and to Europe and back, had I had slightest concern I would not have bought another Leaf but I find it the best TOOL for my images.

Vents for fan is no issue, unless... if you perhaps shoot unprotected in rain or sand storm, which arguably will not yield good images... In my opinion weather sealing is overrated. Taking well care of gear is the key, but to nevertheless use them as TOOLS.

The first travel with my first Leaf (Aptus 65) was to dusty India and I do not hesitate to bring it to the beach (but not into water)! .

This subject was discussed on LuLa;

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/fo...hp?topic=54074

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/fo...opic=46491.140

As for the Rollei, I will simply take well care of it and use it same as any other photographic TOOL I used and owned. It will stay fine and mint. The only of my tool taking beating is my tripod... Gitzo/Manfrotto carbons can handle lots of beating...

I simply shoot whenever and wherever I believe I can capture a good image. Landscapes often means on the rough...

Regards
    Anders

Post Thanks / Like

Anders/Graham,

I haven't received mine yet, but I assume the fan pumps air through a heat exchanger only, and not through the internal components of the back, so it shouldn't really be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Uaiomex View Post
    Graham congrats. I wish you give us the eye candy of looking at your new camera through pictures at different angles. How about a little video on Youtube showing how you operate the camera? Pleeeeeeeease
    Eduardo
    Perhaps once I've received it

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys,

Makes sense on the heat exchanger. I must say, that I prefer the Leafs rendering of files above all. I've come across a few Hy6's, and Calumet might have one in stock. I also agree, that the waist finder does eliminate some camera movement, simply from one's placement of the hands/arms, usually tucked inwards. Thanks again for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ordered a Leaf Aptus II 12, Hy6, waist level finder, 45 degree finder, 6060 film magazine and remote control today! Can't wait for the new toys to arrive
    Congratulations Graham! First off, I know you'll make that combo sing for you . Second, PLEASE feel free to write up a comprehensive review on the system so we can post it here in the gear review section --- I suspect it will be a valuable resource for other and future Hy6 users!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

I've come across a few Hy6's, and Calumet might have one in stock.
    You may wish to verify that those are DHW Hy6 by contacting DHW directly to confirm the serial. Else DHW may or may not support you if problems, and likewise the Hy6 may not have latest updates or be under warranty.

Regards
    Anders

Post Thanks / Like

Still a bit unclear about the weather sealing and the lenses. I have had the Rollei Schneider lenses since 1993, and the 60 mm Curtagon I still own from the mid-1990's. The 90 was added in c. 1998, and yes, I did drop it in the sand, and it needed several cleanings to get all the sand out - but that's not what you mean.

If you mean weather sealing on the AF lenses, then those would be more recent lenses (noting that the Hy6 is comfortable using all the PQ lenses back to the early 1990's). The only AF lens I have is the 80, and I'm sure its not sealed like the products of Canikon or other mainline manuf. OTOH, I wouldn't treat it the same, but perhaps you have a broader sense of use.

As to weather sealing in general, it gets tucked close to the body in freezing weather, none of these cameras go out on long desert journeys, but I've taken the Hy6 up to a 14,000' mtn in Colorado without a problem you mention (not the smartest thing ever done as I was wondering if I'd ever make it....but that's another story).

They are from smaller production runs and probably have the shortcomings you mention, but hasn't been an issue for me. Dirt on the focusing glass is more of an issue, but that's easily fixed. So yes, its probably a bit sensitive, but haven't seen this to be an issue.

richard.L

Ordered a Leaf Aptus II 12, Hy6, waist level finder, 45 degree finder, 6060 film magazine and remote control today! Can't wait for the new toys to arrive .
    Color me envious ... the 6060 option seems very interesting to me. Love to hear how this all works out // fits into your shooting...

Doesn't seem that Hy is strong here in the states. Too bad.

richard //

Post Thanks / Like

Graham --

Congratulations on your coming arrival. I'm sure you'll be happy and productive with it.

As to the Novoflex Q-base device, I learned today that my substitute Arca-Swiss plates (#802232) are actually in-country. I'll post something about them when they arrive.

Baudolino --

Thanks for your suggestions. Unfortunately, DHW is an ocean away, so, with the help of your suggestions and those of a couple of others I'm about to dive into a calbration effort. I'll report back to the forum when I have useful results.

I'm very glad to see so much active interest in the AFi/HY6 and Leaf backs.

Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by baudolino View Post
    In reply to delled's posting, specifically your point 2:

(1) as to the AF offset, one way to do this is (I presume) to have DHW make the measurements for you and tell you what the offsets should be for each of your AF lenses. I had this done by Sinar while I was in Zurich to get my Sinar Hy6 fixed (it had a simple problem with one of the pins in the bayonet, they fixed it while I waited and also upgraded by firmware and printed a little card with offsets for each of my lenses). don't know if DHW would do this for you, but you can ask. My 80 mm lens gets +1, the 50 mm lens gets -7 and the 180 mm telephoto gets -6. I am not sure if there is any difference between AF and AFD lenses as far as this feature is concerned. In any event, the camera does not automatically change the offsets depending on the lens you are using - you have to change the offset manually every time you change the lens. I see no reason why this would not work with the AF lenses; my lenses are AFD though.

(2) you can do this yourself, with the Lens Align Pro. The best way is to tether the camera/MFDB, have it save images to your HD via Captureshop or whatever SW your back uses so that you can compare subsequent images quickly. Start with 0 adjustment and see where the lens is focusing and try the adjustments until you get it right. I haven't noticed any focus shift with the lenses, so if you do this wide open for each lens, you should be good.

I am afraid I don't know the answers to your other questions. I usually use the smallest focusing sensor size and assume that it is the same size as the little circle in the middle of the viewfinder.

Post Thanks / Like

Graham

I'd sure be interested in the reasoning behind your choice of the Hy6 body. It seems to me to be an unusual and brave decision!

Post Thanks / Like

Graham,

you made amongst the best portraits with your previous set-up, film-like, great colors and very natural looking. My choice of the Sinar 54LV was clearly influenced by your pictures.
    I didn't find the same impression very often when looking at pictures from other cameras/backs (on the web ... a limit certainly), that might provide more detailed or technically better files I assume.
    So I will look with the greatest interest at the portraits you will make with the AII-12 ! I hope you will keep the same unique core qualities, while adding more of everything ...

Marc