The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

why did i choose the Arca RM3D over the others technical cameras... a friend asks...

Steve Hendrix

There's been quite a variance in when we receive items from Arca Swiss. Some orders have been completely fulfilled within 4 weeks, others have taken nearly 3 months.

We have had an existing inventory order of a lot of camera bodies, finders, lenses, etc. The camera bodies have left as soon as they are received, but as of last week, we still had a few lenses and many miscellaneous items sitting on the shelf - compendium shades, adapter plates, lensboards, even the board for mounting RM3Di lenses on Arca Swiss view cameras.

To be sure, some of the delays have been at the hands of Schneider and Rodenstock. Other times, manufacturing ramps up and orders that were placed 4 weeks ago get shipped at the same time as orders placed 8 weeks ago.

The communication has gotten slightly better, but it is best to ask for specifics whenever checking eta.

Steve Hendrix

jlm

Workshop Member
I'll try and make it lance, what time?

if i show up, will bring a representation of the underdog...Cambo, and maybe my i-phone thingy..

hi to woody! will no doubt be showing off the H60 firmware results (if he can carry all that gear!)

gazwas

While all this is very frustrating waiting for Arca to fulfil orders I find it strangely reassuring also that my camera is being made by an old fashioned engineering company that take pride and care in everything they manufacture. I say this an Arca ML2 user who's 2 week delivery was much, much longer in the end.

I'd much prefer my camera to have been designed and manufactured to very exacting standards be men who take pride in their work rather than bow down to pressure to rush things out of the door and who when they design a new product (D4 anyone) they ignore promised release schedules in order to get the finished product right straight out of the gate rather then letting users feedback find the faults (Phase One).

I'm interested in a RM3di to compliment my ML2 and I expect it to take a while if I order one as they are not mass produced items like TV's and washing machines.

Just my humble opinion. :sleep006:

lance_schad

Workshop Member
I'll try and make it lance, what time?

if i show up, will bring a representation of the underdog...Cambo, and maybe my i-phone thingy..

hi to woody! will no doubt be showing off the H60 firmware results (if he can carry all that gear!)
We are looking to meet up at out offices at 1:00. We are located at 35 west 35th St -4th floor. We will spend a few minutes getting acquainted then head out to The Highline. If you can not make it to the office but want to meet up call my cell 610 496 5586 and I'll let you know where we are.

Please bring your equipment if you would like. I just thought this would be a great way for those in the area to check out the new Arca and IQ , and shoot it in a nice environment. We will have a wide range of lenses.

I want this to be more of a 'meet-up' and not a 'shoot-out' .

It's also a great opportunity for the NY area members to get together and put some faces to the posts.

Please let me know via email if you plan on joining us [email protected].

Lance

Bring some cf cards to take away some files.

David Klepacki

While all this is very frustrating waiting for Arca to fulfil orders I find it strangely reassuring also that my camera is being made by an old fashioned engineering company that take pride and care in everything they manufacture. I say this an Arca ML2 user who's 2 week delivery was much, much longer in the end.
No one is questioning the engineering excellence of the Arca products here.

The issue with them is about how they treat their customers and the integrity of their sales people. Being told that you can purchase something from them with a delivery of 2 - 4 weeks, and then not hearing from them after 8 weeks after placing an order would be considered unprofessional by any standard, in any business.

How difficult is it to pick up the phone or write an email to the customer to explain any delays? I do not think that is too much to ask. Yet, this does not happen with Arca-Swiss, at least in the U.S.

stephengilbert

"How difficult is it to pick up the phone or write an email to the customer to explain any delays?"

Do we know for sure that Arca has a phone or email access?

lenslover

I am a little surprised that no one has talked about the Silvestri Bicam, especially with the Flexi-Maxi bellows. Have people had bad experiences with this camera?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I had a Silvestri Flexi on trial for about 3 days. I did not bother reviewing it here because it was so poorly built, achieving a repeatable zero was impossible. About the best I could say for it is you can make it work if you are willing to spend time setting each shot up and confirming it is exactly the way you want it before you move on the next shot.

Thierry

Wouldn't it be nice to have a review on it, even though one does not like it? In order to have a complete information, for people who don't have the chance to try it out (me included), to open a discussion and to get arguments from others?

Not a critic on you, Jack, just an idea.

Regards,
Thierry

Thierry Hagenauer
Alpa Consultant

[email protected]
www.alpa.ch

I had a Silvestri Flexi on trial for about 3 days. I did not bother reviewing it here because it was so poorly built, achieving a repeatable zero was impossible. About the best I could say for it is you can make it work if you are willing to spend time setting each shot up and confirming it is exactly the way you want it before you move on the next shot.

jlm

Workshop Member
from today's brief outing on the Highline
about 15mm vertical shift, cambo wrs, schneider 43, H39 back

vjbelle

I would never accept the 15mm shift.... way too soft on the top. However with 10mm the image looks very acceptable. Just have to find the limits of the lens......

Victor

jlm

Workshop Member
i thought it would be useful to compare, also the h39 back is cropped a bit compared to the 180 or 160.

vjbelle

i thought it would be useful to compare, also the h39 back is cropped a bit compared to the 180 or 160.
The 160 is, I believe, the same crop factor as the P65+. It really doesn't matter as this has to do with lens limitations. These examples are, again, an example of lens limitations.

Thanks for posting the images.......

Victor

jlm

Workshop Member
a cropped sensor does not get as far out to the edge of the image circle for the same amount of shift. I would think 10mm of shift with the H39 is more like 8mm with the full frame 160/180

Christopher

OK, WHY in hell should the 43mm be SOFT ? With a 39MP back with 15mm shift it should be sharp. Hack even with my IQ180 it is sharp at 15mm. (Only way to much color cast.)

The lens has a huge image circle and should be able to handle more.