The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

is Liveview available on IQ yet?

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
They are also very clear it may not be easy to use under bright light -- keeping expectations in line...

KeithL

They are also very clear it may not be easy to use under bright light -- keeping expectations in line...
I don't remember them saying this when P1 announced the IQ series. I seem to remember many people were very excited by the introduction of liveview and I dare say there were those who were seduced and placed an order.

Admittedly I could be mistaken.

Last edited:

kdphotography

I think I recall reading about live view and heat build-up in brightly lit scenes? (*dunno*---Jack?) But I do recall mention of using a variable ND filter to help in those situations with bright light...

ken

jecxz

I don't remember them saying this when P1 announced the IQ series. I seem to remember many people were very excited by the introduction of liveview and I dare say there were those who were seduced and placed an order.

Admittedly I could be mistaken.
Keith, this can easily be solved with a Hoodman Loupe to shade the light.

FYI: I'm working on an academic article... just like Doug!

Kind regards,
Derek Jecxz
http://www.jecxz.com
http://www.facebook.com/derek.jecxz.photographer

kdphotography

The limitations of "bright light" do not have to do with the new high res LCD, but with the sensor. I finally recalled that this information is from Mark Dubovoy's review over at LL. His commentary was based on representations from Phase One's Chief Tech Officer and President of R&D, Claus Molgaard. From Mark Dubovoy's review: "Because all Medium Format backs use CCD sensors, when keeping the shutter open with light falling on the sensor for a long period of time during Live View it is quite easy to saturate the sensor.

As a consequence, the use of a strong neutral density filter will be required when using Live View in bright light conditions. I call this ugly because none of us wants to have to take any additional steps or carry any additional equipment, but unfortunately, there is no way out of this. Claus recommends the use of a variable neutral density filter in the range of about 3-9 F/stops. I intend to carry just one filter of a diameter large enough to cover all my lenses (either hand held in front of the lens, or screwed on with an adapter ring)."

Whether or not the "bright light" issue is of significance will have to wait for the firmware update. It won't be of much consequence for me since the overall user interface of the IQ180 works great for me; users of technical cameras will certainly like the live view option. I'll hold onto my variable ND filter for those gear enabled friends... :D

ken

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
So is there any difference between this and tethered Live View? LuLa did an article about field tethering a year or two ago, no mention of overheating the sensor or needing a ND filter.

I guess we'll know soon enough, but seems live view on the back shouldn't be much different than live view tethered, which doesn't seem to have an issue even outside sometimes, unless their is extra heat buildup because it works the onboard processors much harder.

archivue

i can't imagine that the "in body" live view, will be far superior than the today tethered live view... if i'm right, it's not an option for architecture at all !

let's keep the fingers cross...

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I'm pretty sure Liveview will be horrible and a waste of waiting time. Oh and I'm a very happy IQ180 shooter :)
Agreed Christopher -- Focus Mask and actual 100% review are so excellent now, I cannot see myself even bothering with live view.

gogopix

Subscriber
well, it has to do with heat from an over exposed sensor... easy to fix with a MF lens (like, hassey, just stop down) or use the preview button (until your finger falls off :)

You have to remember in a tech camera, all is manual, so I'm not that worried
and if you have lots of light you can have lots of DOF

for extreme small DOF, yes will be problematic, but then for those situations I doubt AF lenses will know where you want the plane of focus peak...so shoot check reshoot, or bracket will work.

BUT, if you want the bumper, not yje hood in focus at a turn in the Daytona 500, you are likely out of luck, except to prefocus anyway...

so, all trade-off...

Victor

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I still hopeful Live View for actual focusing of a tech camera will be useful, even if I have to put a vari-ND in front of it. Otherwise the Alpa might be up for sale.

I shoot in pretty subdued light most of the time (deep shade in the forest or after the sun goes down) so I may not even need ND on it when light is this low. Right now it's shoot, check, tweak, shoot, check, tweak when I"m on the Alpa. . Personally I'd rather have a very slow live view (even 1 frame/second would be fine‚ and use a hoodman to be able to see the display easily even in bright light.

The focus rings/disto thing just doesn't appeal to me ... afraid the disto will be reading the wrong thing (happens to me when I'm playing golf on occasion). Then if you shoot it and the focus is not quite right it's tweak, shoot, check, tweak, shoot, check ....

Don Libby

The focus rings/disto thing just doesn't appeal to me ... afraid the disto will be reading the wrong thing (happens to me when I'm playing golf on occasion). Then if you shoot it and the focus is not quite right it's tweak, shoot, check, tweak, shoot, check ....
Wayne - Not certain about other models however I've just begun using the D5 which has a small screen to assist in targeting the focus dot. I've also been using this in bright outdoor light and so far I'm impressed. Just thought I'd mention this due to your thoughts of the disto reading the wrong thing.

I don't like using a bunch of gadgets and gizmos - they always remind me of a snake oil salesman selling something that'll cure everything when in the end it just adds more effort for little gain. I've tried a groundglass which worked but was just too much of a PIA. The D5 is so far working out for me. I'm uncertain at this stage if I'd like a live view or not given the drawbacks and possible side effects having it might be.

Don

gazwas

"Real" liveview in a back for use on a tech camera will be a game changer IMO. I don't think this time around (new IQ backs) it will be that great of an implementation. When/if it ever does come with the quality associated with the 35mm bodies, coupled with the new crisp IQ type screen, gone will be the days of ground glass framing, laser distos, optical viewfinders, focus masks and shoot then chimp at 100% workflows. It will also negate the need for some of these expensive helical mounted lenses as the view/rail camera will start feeling the love of this 100% accurate focusing method.

IMO, the company that gets there first, Hasselblad, Phase/Leaf will have a total winner on their hands and it will start a revolution........... Ventizz are you listening?