Site Sponsors

Thread: Sensor Cleaning

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sensor Cleaning

Just curious about what MFD shooters use for sensor cleaning. I've used the E-Wipe and like them for convenience. I now have a Phase One kit containing Digi Clean solutions and application pads. And I have Eclipse E2 and PecPads in my DSLR kit. What do you use? Besides canned air that is.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sensor Cleaning

The PhaseOne Solution 2 is essentially identical to Eclipse E2. P1 solution 1 is a soapy (messy) solution for really stubborn crud -- I have only ever used it on a filter and it took like 3 follow-ups with Solution 2 to get it all off, so be forewarned. You also got a packet of spatulas, and they work amazingly well with the PecPads wrapped over them for the wipe.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

the leaf wipes are better than the one that comes with the PhaseOne kit. I've found they can leave little fuzzies on the edge.

Also I use the supplied plastic spatula, but hold the wipe in such away that I can move it very slightly. After moistening it with solution b (don't use A unless you absolutely have to ... as Jack mentioned very hard to get it cleaned off) I will wipe the sensor, move the pad slightly and repeat. You can do this about 3 times easily, because you move it slightly no trapped particles to rub across the sensor.

Additionally get a bright very even LED flashlight and a good pair of high power reading glasses. With a MFDB, you don't need to take test shots to see if your sensor is clean, just hold the light across the sensor and look. Anything remains try puffiing it off with a bulb blower, if it doesn't come off, repeat the clean.

I've been doing this for a year and a half now, as demonstrated by Bill Atkinson at the first PODAS workshop. I often clean my back before heading out on every shoot ... just so easy to do.
    wayne
    My gallery

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leaf pads Joe . I know CI has them since I bought mine there
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks very much Jack, Wayne and Guy. I'm surprised no one mentioned E-Wipes. Maybe the methanol, and hence flammable warning on the package, scares people away. Plus, you can't have them in your carry-on bag on an airplane.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sure you can carry E-Wipes on a plane. If you can bring your stun gun (http://articles.cnn.com/2011-07-11/t...t?_s=PM:TRAVEL), it's unlikely they'll discover a few wipes.
    Last edited by stephengilbert; 12th July 2011 at 16:39.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Colson View Post
    Thanks very much Jack, Wayne and Guy. I'm surprised no one mentioned E-Wipes. Maybe the methanol, and hence flammable warning on the package, scares people away. Plus, you can't have them in your carry-on bag on an airplane.
    damn need to take mine out than for tomorrow. Thanks Joe
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

To be serious about it, I don't think E-Wipes are among the prohibited items. They aren't a flammable liquid or gel, and I don't see where else they fit: http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtrav...-items.shtm#11

Note, though, that those gel insoles in your shoes are now on the list! I feel safer already.