The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

real shift with rodie S

danlindberg

I read here and there that Rodenstock states shift capabilities in a conservative fashion. That one can expect even more shift than stated.
I am thinking of the S series with 70mm lens circle. It says in the Alpa shift table that with a 33x44 sensor the S series can go 9mm left/right and 11mm rise/fall.

In the real world, can you actually go further than this? or are you in fact better off using less than this on a cropped sensor? It would be great to hear where the REAL limit is.

danlindberg

Sorry if I bump this, but it would be great to shed some light on this.

In the meantime I have also learned that a Schneider Alpa apo-switar 36 has an image circle of 70 wide open, but stopped down to f11 image circle is 90!

The same does not apply to HR 35 S which has a constant image circle of 70 no matter what f-stop.

Is this a symmetrical vs. retrofocus thing?

Anyhow, the more important factor for me, remains how much shift is possible in the real world with S series and 33x44 sensor?

dchew

Dan,
I have the 100HR on a 54x40 sensor (P65+). The thing about the S series is that there is not a REAL limit because although the image circle is much bigger than 70mm, the sharpness falls off pretty dramatically out there. Attached is an image on an Alpa shifted 18mm left. Sorry it is not the best image to judge sharpness since it was snowing. It is just a trash shot from me screwing around. But you can still see my point about how soft the branches get out there.

So each photographer and maybe each image will have its own particular limit of acceptable image circle.

I do think you could shift some, especially with a smaller sensor. How's that for a non-committal answer?

Dave

danlindberg

Thanks Dave!

Well, I can quite clearly see the softness of the shifted side, but it is at the same time impressive that you were able to shift 18mm with the bigger sensor!

It would be so incredibly interesting to see the HR 35 with atleast 15mm shift on the long side and with the 33x44 sensor. Does anybody have this combination?

rjones

I've tried shifting the HR35 and HR60 on a P65+. 10mm is fine; 15mm is pushing it.

On the other hand, I've not been that impressed with the corners when shifting 15-18mm on the Schneiders. If you look at their MTF plots, even at f8 to f11, they are not impressive when shifted using FF backs. I think their image circles are a bit over-rated.