The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Cambo WRS first impression and 72mm question

anGy

I have the chance of being a new owner of a Cambo WRS + 35mm apo-digitar.
I hesitated a lot before bying this kit for several reasons:

How to manage framing ? With a not so good Cambo viewfinder ? With my iPhone ? (using a groundglass is out of the question due to removing the back risk and too dark view)
How to manage focussing ? No HPF ring on the Cambo, no good lcd screen on my P40 back. Don't look good...

My first impression although is very positive. The lcd quality of the P40 is good enough to check framing and exposition of course but it take less time than I was expecting to get those right with this 'shoot/review on lcd' rather primitive technique.
I 've ordered parts to adapt the iPhone on the Cambo to get even quicker correct
framing.

Regarding focussing the hyperfocal technique is not that effective. The lens focus ring infinity mark is too far for architecture work. It seems that focussing on the infinity mark less 2 milimeters is the general purpose set for good depth of field at f11.

So overall the Cambo WRS looks fun to use but needs of course way more time and technique than the DF + 35mm Mamiya lens.
Is it worth it ? Very early to say but I 'm already more than ever convinced that a tech cam with schneider or rodenstock lenses is the only solution for extracting all the potential of today's digital backs.
When shot correctly, pictures are incredibly detailed, clean, natural, very very veryimpressive compared to other wide angle solutions !

No scoop here of course, maybe just an interesting shared first impression for other people not decided yet to take the plunge.

So I already consider buying a second lens: a schneider digitar 72mm. A great lens from many reviews.

But, but, but:
2 questions make me think twice !
As the Cambo has no HPF ring and as my bank will not let me take a look at the IQ160... How to focus right with a 72mm lens on the WRS ? The hyperfocal technique won 't be of any help most of the time. So using a Leica disto and the lens focusing scale seems to be the only option, but will it be accurate enough ? (will depend on the focussing scale precision I guess.

But most important: as schneider do produce a schneider 80mm leaf shutter lens for DF bodies - as this lens seems to be very sharp - as the shutter will not/less impact sharpness as a focal plane shutter - is it really worth the pain to use a WRS for that focal lenght ? (of course considering that shifting is not needed).

It would be helpfull to get your thoughts or comparison results between thse 80 vs 72mm lenses :toocool:

Don Libby

Can't help on the 80 however I do have the 72.

My 3-lens kit for the WRS is a 35, 72 and 120 - all Schneider. I feel that comparing lens used with tech cameras to their cousins used with a DF isn't fair to the DF lens. Again, my opinion - the Schneider or Rodenstock lenses used with a tech camera are superior to any lens used in a DSLR.

I'm not sure what you use your WRS for - myself I use it to capture landscape images and that's what I feel comfortable speaking about.

Totally agree with "...overall the Cambo WRS looks fun to use but needs of course way more time and technique...". This applies to any tech camera. Think of it in the term where "slow is fast".

I waited over a year before springing for a Cambo viewfinder and masks (35 & 72). After testing and practice I find it good at giving me a general idea of the framing so I wouldn't discount it. The P65 lcd gives me a general idea of what I took and with a little practice I also use the magnifier tool (4 taps instead of 1 with an IQ) to check focusing. I own a Droid so I can't offer an opinion on the iPhone.

You asked the questions regarding using a Leica Distro to aid in focusing the 72. My direct answer is yes it'll help - a lot. And not just with the 72 but with all your lenses. I routinely shoot 15mm shifts left & right with no problems and movements up and down. If you decided to also add a 120 or 150 you'll find these lenses capable of 20mm shifts.

Of the 3-lens I have, I use the 72 the most, 120mm almost and the 35 a not so distant third.

This doesn't answer the question of comparison between a 80 and 72 however I hope I helped a little.

Congrats on the kit and happy shooting.

Don

anGy

Did not realize that it could also be used for Cambo !
The Cambo lens plate design for the 35mm could however be problematic - but it will work for the 72mm, and that's a very good news.
Thanks

Last edited:

anGy

Can't help on the 80 however I do have the 72.

My 3-lens kit for the WRS is a 35, 72 and 120 - all Schneider. I feel that comparing lens used with tech cameras to their cousins used with a DF isn't fair to the DF lens. Again, my opinion - the Schneider or Rodenstock lenses used with a tech camera are superior to any lens used in a DSLR.

I'm not sure what you use your WRS for - myself I use it to capture landscape images and that's what I feel comfortable speaking about.

Totally agree with "...overall the Cambo WRS looks fun to use but needs of course way more time and technique...". This applies to any tech camera. Think of it in the term where "slow is fast".

I waited over a year before springing for a Cambo viewfinder and masks (35 &
72). After testing and practice I find it good at giving me a general idea of the framing so I wouldn't discount it. The P65 lcd gives me a general idea of what I took and with a little practice I also use the magnifier tool (4 taps instead of 1 with an IQ) to check focusing. I own a Droid so I can't offer an opinion on the iPhone.

You asked the questions regarding using a Leica Distro to aid in focusing the 72. My direct answer is yes it'll help - a lot. And not just with the 72 but with all your lenses. I routinely shoot 15mm shifts left & right with no problems and movements up and down. If you decided to also add a 120 or 150 you'll find these lenses capable of 20mm shifts.

Of the 3-lens I have, I use the 72 the most, 120mm almost and the 35 a not so distant third.

This doesn't answer the question of comparison between a 80 and 72 however I hope I helped a little.

Congrats on the kit and happy shooting.

Don
Thank you Don for your input.
I have red your tests of the 72 on your site and am going to follow the same path I think (35 - 72 - 120 macro).

I have always been amazed by the digital lenses for tech cams as never with other MF lenses. Using the WRS and 35mm with the P40 definitively produce a big 'Waahaahouw' effect when reviewing the files (at least for me!).

But the 80mm with leaf shutter (less vibrations than focal plane ones) also has very good glass, and is a Schneider. So if there is one lens that could approach the digitar ones, it may be that one (or the other schneider LS for Phase).

Not really convinced but a comparative test or MTF charts could be very helpfull.

As I own a 80mm LS I will try to find a good way to compare it with the 35mm digitar. (From what I've red, the 72mm is even sharper than the 35).

rhsu

Is it worth it ? Very early to say but I 'm already more than ever convinced that a tech cam with schneider or rodenstock lenses is the only solution for extracting all the potential of today's digital backs.
When shot correctly, pictures are incredibly detailed, clean, natural, very very veryimpressive compared to other wide angle solutions !
Well done... you have nailed in on the head. The alignment integrity of the lens, camera, and DB (ménage à trois) will be and should be clearly demonstrated in the resultant images!

Enjoy...