Site Sponsors

Thread: iPhone and Holder for Alpa

Post Thanks / Like

iPhone and Holder for Alpa

Do any of you use this setup? I've tried the app (don't have the holder) and find it compelling but in reality it still only gets me close and further adjustments have to be made. My longest lens is a 150mm and even though that lens is a small rectangle in the viewer it may be all that's necessary. Would be great to hear from any users.....

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Re: iPhone and Holder for Alpa

The holder costs more than an iPhone at the moment. Alpa's prices can be ludicrous, as we all know.

If you are a zillionaire, and have money to burn go right ahead, and tell us how it is, please.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor,

John Milch (jlm) makes an iPhone holder. I don't know what the final price is, but it seems like a nice solution, including parallax adjustment. See http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...iphone+adapter

And here's a thread regarding the ALPA version: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showth...=iPhone+holder. It may include some discussion of John's as well.

Steve

Subscriber & Workshop Member GrahamWelland's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use the iPhone holder (as per the thread linked by Stephen). In general it works extremely well with the Alpa and is more accurate and easier to use than an optical finder as you use longer focal lengths.

The one major issue for me though is actually the reflectiveness of the iPhone itself. There are lighting conditions where you can't see the iPhone display due to it being over powered by your own reflection. Maybe there are some anti-reflective iPhone coatings that can solve this - I'll often just use the optical finder instead when this happens. The other approach is to use a hoodman 2.5" loupe which I also use with my P40+ display.
    Remember: adventure before dementia!

As Oscar Wilde said, "my tastes are simple, I only like the best"

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

mine are available with a hot shoe mount, arca mount or alpa mount

[email protected]

shown here tilted down for parallax correction. in landscape mode