The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Macbook Air/Thunderbolt & Phase Backs

engel001

As mentioned above, an ExpressCard slot would be the most elegant solution for Apple to add versatility without adding weight to either the Macbook Pro or Air. I am still firmly with Windows and recently got a tiny but mighty Lenovo X220 with gorgeous 12.5" IPS display (two SSD's 128GB and 300GB, 8GB RAM, i7-2620M processor). I use ExpressCard 32 or 54 adapters to add Firewire, additional USB 3.0 ports, CF ExpressCard card reader, eSATA, etc. Tethers nicely with my P65+ and weighs only 2.9 lbs.

Terry

As mentioned above, an ExpressCard slot would be the most elegant solution for Apple to add versatility without adding weight to either the Macbook Pro or Air. I am still firmly with Windows and recently got a tiny but mighty Lenovo X220 with gorgeous 12.5" IPS display (two SSD's 128GB and 300GB, 8GB RAM, i7-2620M processor). I use ExpressCard 32 or 54 adapters to add Firewire, additional USB 3.0 ports, CF ExpressCard card reader, eSATA, etc. Tethers nicely with my P65+ and weighs only 2.9 lbs.
The express card slot is as thick as the MBA. You would lose the whole form factor.

narikin

I do believe the answer is Windows for this purpose, much as many here will consider that heretical. Remember that C1 is free in DB mode, so that's not going to cost you anything.

Its just one of those specialized areas where the incredible choice of Windows machines and form factors means you will find something that fits your needs, most likely at a very reasonable price.

Last edited:

sflxn

I do believe the answer is Windows for this purpose, much as many here will consider that heretical. Remember that C1 is free in DB mode, so that's not going to cost you anything.

Its just one of those specialized areas where the incredible choice of Windows machines and form factors means you will find something that fits your needs, most likely at a very reasonable price.
How is the answer Windows when you can just buy a MBP that has FW800 built-in?

narikin

Look, I am really not wishing to start a Win vs Mac flame far here, lets all be more mature than that. Most of us are pretty familiar with both platforms, and how close they are.

My opinion, and that's all it is, is that when you want ultra small, ultra light, (Like OP) or tablet/touch screen driven C1Pro (like I did) or Express Card flexibility (others here) or some combo of the above, then you might be better looking at Windows choices. Let's leave that on the table as a decent option, shall we? Enough said.

gazwas

My opinion, and that's all it is, is that when you want ultra small, ultra light, (Like OP) or tablet/touch screen driven C1Pro (like I did) or Express Card flexibility (others here) or some combo of the above, then you might be better looking at Windows choices. Let's leave that on the table as a decent option, shall we? Enough said.
I hear what you're saying but for a very similar cost you can get the new 11" MBA wiith one of these adapters (imminent release) for similar money and I know which one I'd prefer looks and performance wise. ;)

rga

I hear what you're saying but for a very similar cost you can get the new 11" MBA wiith one of these adapters (imminent release) for similar money and I know which one I'd prefer looks and performance wise. ;)
Personally I wouldn't want to spend, say, $500 or so on a Windows machine for the sole purpose of using DB in the field. I would much rather it serve multiple purposes, so as I'm Mac based, a Mac is better for me.

And since there is currently no adapter for Thunderbolt to FireWire, I'm still not able to get a light weight field machine that fits my needs at a reasonable price.

So I'll continue to wait to see if this weird new configuration by the intelligencia at Apple can be fixed to suit my needs. I just don't see why they didn't include FireWire! Even for external disk access!!
:loco:

ustein

Contributing Editor
And since there is currently no adapter for Thunderbolt to FireWire,

You can buy the Thunderbolt monitor (has FW800) :deadhorse: