Site Sponsors

Thread: Macbook Air/Thunderbolt & Phase Backs

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Macbook Air/Thunderbolt & Phase Backs

I see that the new Air is out, but has a "Thunderbolt" port and still no firewire. Does anyone know if there is a way to tether a Phase back to the Air with a Thunderbolt to firewire cord? Or some other way? I've heard that the old Air, with USB, would not work with Phase backs...

Thanks,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Macbook Air/Thunderbolt & Phase Backs

Bob,

I just saw that Sonnet has announced some media adapters. One is a FW800 to Thunderbolt and the other is Gigabit Ethernet to Thunderbolt.

I am awaiting to hear back when they are planning to ship them, and also have a question in to PhaseOne regarding support.

At least we are seeing adapters surface.

Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lance_schad View Post
    Bob,

I just saw that Sonnet has announced some media adapters. One is a FW800 to Thunderbolt and the other is Gigabit Ethernet to Thunderbolt.

I am awaiting to hear back when they are planning to ship them, and also have a question in to PhaseOne regarding support.

At least we are seeing adapters surface.

Lance
    Thanks Lance. If you get one and test it, please post your results!
    Best,
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Great find Lance.

If Sonnet release that adapter and it's not too bulky the 11" MPA will be the perfect location tool.

The initial tests put the new MBA at the same performance level as my 2010 17" MBP.... amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that yesterday and hope that Sonnet gets this ready for market soon. The Leaf Afi7 that I use also will only tether via Firewire. I sold off my 2010 MBA last month in anticipation of the new Thunderbolt equipped ones, but may have to consider a MBP instead if the adapter isn't out relatively soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeckardTrinity View Post
    I saw that yesterday and hope that Sonnet gets this ready for market soon. The Leaf Afi7 that I use also will only tether via Firewire. I sold off my 2010 MBA last month in anticipation of the new Thunderbolt equipped ones, but may have to consider a MBP instead if the adapter isn't out relatively soon.
    Before we all get too excited, lets just remind ourselves that the full frame sensors cannot deliver the data off the sensor fast enough to use the full capacity of data throuput available with Firewire 800.
    We don't need a faster cable because the back can't get the data out fast enough for this to be an issue.
    Siebel
    "In the end, it's all about the pictures"
    www.bryansiebel.com

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by siebel View Post
    Before we all get too excited, lets just remind ourselves that the full frame sensors cannot deliver the data off the sensor fast enough to use the full capacity of data throuput available with Firewire 800.
    We don't need a faster cable because the back can't get the data out fast enough for this to be an issue.
    It isn't really a need of wanting a faster cable. It is the issue that a Macbook Air has 3 connections. 2 - USB2 and 1- Thunderbolt. So, currently there is no way to tether at all with a MBA since the back doesn't support Thunderbolt. So, unless there is an adapter that can interface with the Air and the digital back the MBA can't be used.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TEBnewyork View Post
    It isn't really a need of wanting a faster cable. It is the issue that a Macbook Air has 3 connections. 2 - USB2 and 1- Thunderbolt. So, currently there is no way to tether at all with a MBA since the back doesn't support Thunderbolt. So, unless there is an adapter that can interface with the Air and the digital back the MBA can't be used.
    Exactly the reason for me as well. I have to say I wasn't expecting to see such a large "box", but it makes sense that there would be extra electronics needed to go from Thunderbolt to another interface. Since a lot of the value in a Macbook Air is its small size I'll have to evaluate the usefulness of an adapter of this size, in conjunction with the laptop, versus just getting a Macbook Pro which has Firewire built-in.

Post Thanks / Like

My new macbook pro 8gig cant handle IQ180 fast enough, so I dont know about Macbook Air.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Santoso View Post
    My new macbook pro 8gig cant handle IQ180 fast enough, so I dont know about Macbook Air.
    How do you mean Dan? Does it take longer, but eventually the image appears in the capture app, or does it not appear at all?

Post Thanks / Like

The data is stored on the HDD pretty quickly, but in order to display the image onscreen at full res, 80MP of data has to be processed and then your video card has to render it. This takes time......
    Siebel
    www.bryansiebel.com

Post Thanks / Like

I read somewhere, perhaps the Phase One official forum, that Thunderbolt does not work the same way as other peripherals such as USB and Firewire and is in some ways unsuitable for connecting cameras directly.
    This could explain the need for the huge box.
    The USB3 port on IQ backs should be backwards-compatible with USB2. Not sure if this is implemented in the firmware yet.
    Siebel
    www.bryansiebel.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by siebel View Post
    The USB3 port on IQ backs should be backwards-compatible with USB2.
    But we don't all own IQ backs and firewire is the only option hence the interest in this solution.

With regards to the performance of the new MPA, as C1's GPU acceleration feature is a waist of time as you get better reliability and performance with it set to never, the difference in the graphics cards is a moot point as C1 just uses the processor to render the file. The bench marks suggest they are as fast as my 2010 i7 MBP and that renders IQ180 files so it shouldn't be a problem for anything you connect to it.

Its just if that adapter is a quarter the size of the machine it makes it obviously less useful.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    Its just if that adapter is a quarter the size of the machine it makes it obviously less useful.
    I guess in my case I would use the machine for much more than tethering so would still rather have small machine with bigger adapter sometimes than big machine always.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess in my case I would use the machine for much more than tethering so would still rather have small machine with bigger adapter sometimes than big machine always.
    Very true but I'd still prefer it to be at max the size of a business card rather than the size of my Sekonic meter hanging off an 11" Air.

Post Thanks / Like

I take your point. Does the MB Air have an expresscard slot? If so, you can get a firewire adapter that plugs in there. There is also a dual cardreader that works a treat http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Sonne...ogy/CFRW2XE34/

Cheers,
    Siebel
    www.bryansiebel.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

No express card slot...

Post Thanks / Like

and none on the highest-end MacBook Pros, either.

Post Thanks / Like

Newest Macbook Airs gain USB2, Firewire 800 and Gigabit Ethernet ports
    when connected via Thunderbolt to Apple's upcoming 27" Thunderbolt Cinema Display.

This gives me hope Apple will integrate same extra ports to MagSafe Power Adapter/Converter:

http://www.hardmac.com/news/2011/07/...bolt-converter

http://www.patentlyapple.com/patentl...thing-new.html

Post Thanks / Like

FWIW: I use a high powered Windows7 tablet PC, it has firewire built in. No, not a mock iPad tablet, but one of the original tablet PC's. Same power processor as 18months ago's highest PowerBook, (2.8Ghz Core 2 Duo T9600) and 12" touch screen. Twist & fold screen flat use like a flat slate, C1 works perfectly with pen touch. Built in FW great tethered with P65+ and IQ180. Image files render in about 5 secs. Mine's a Fujitsu Lifebook T5010, but there are many others out there. Cost $1200 with 4Gb RAM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

As mentioned above, an ExpressCard slot would be the most elegant solution for Apple to add versatility without adding weight to either the Macbook Pro or Air. I am still firmly with Windows and recently got a tiny but mighty Lenovo X220 with gorgeous 12.5" IPS display (two SSD's 128GB and 300GB, 8GB RAM, i7-2620M processor). I use ExpressCard 32 or 54 adapters to add Firewire, additional USB 3.0 ports, CF ExpressCard card reader, eSATA, etc. Tethers nicely with my P65+ and weighs only 2.9 lbs.

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by engel001 View Post
    As mentioned above, an ExpressCard slot would be the most elegant solution for Apple to add versatility without adding weight to either the Macbook Pro or Air. I am still firmly with Windows and recently got a tiny but mighty Lenovo X220 with gorgeous 12.5" IPS display (two SSD's 128GB and 300GB, 8GB RAM, i7-2620M processor). I use ExpressCard 32 or 54 adapters to add Firewire, additional USB 3.0 ports, CF ExpressCard card reader, eSATA, etc. Tethers nicely with my P65+ and weighs only 2.9 lbs.
    The express card slot is as thick as the MBA. You would lose the whole form factor.

Post Thanks / Like

I do believe the answer is Windows for this purpose, much as many here will consider that heretical. Remember that C1 is free in DB mode, so that's not going to cost you anything.

Its just one of those specialized areas where the incredible choice of Windows machines and form factors means you will find something that fits your needs, most likely at a very reasonable price.
    Last edited by narikin; 25th July 2011 at 08:49.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    I do believe the answer is Windows for this purpose, much as many here will consider that heretical. Remember that C1 is free in DB mode, so that's not going to cost you anything.

Its just one of those specialized areas where the incredible choice of Windows machines and form factors means you will find something that fits your needs, most likely at a very reasonable price.
    How is the answer Windows when you can just buy a MBP that has FW800 built-in?

Post Thanks / Like

Look, I am really not wishing to start a Win vs Mac flame far here, lets all be more mature than that. Most of us are pretty familiar with both platforms, and how close they are.

My opinion, and that's all it is, is that when you want ultra small, ultra light, (Like OP) or tablet/touch screen driven C1Pro (like I did) or Express Card flexibility (others here) or some combo of the above, then you might be better looking at Windows choices. Let's leave that on the table as a decent option, shall we? Enough said.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by narikin View Post
    My opinion, and that's all it is, is that when you want ultra small, ultra light, (Like OP) or tablet/touch screen driven C1Pro (like I did) or Express Card flexibility (others here) or some combo of the above, then you might be better looking at Windows choices. Let's leave that on the table as a decent option, shall we? Enough said.
    I hear what you're saying but for a very similar cost you can get the new 11" MBA wiith one of these adapters (imminent release) for similar money and I know which one I'd prefer looks and performance wise.

Post Thanks / Like

Although all-Mac presently, I'm with narikin here: let's keep an open mind, and get the best tool for the job!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kit laughlin View Post
    Although all-Mac presently, I'm with narikin here: let's keep an open mind, and get the best tool for the job!
    The best for the job may not be the best for an overall workflow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by gazwas View Post
    I hear what you're saying but for a very similar cost you can get the new 11" MBA wiith one of these adapters (imminent release) for similar money and I know which one I'd prefer looks and performance wise.
    Personally I wouldn't want to spend, say, $500 or so on a Windows machine for the sole purpose of using DB in the field. I would much rather it serve multiple purposes, so as I'm Mac based, a Mac is better for me.

And since there is currently no adapter for Thunderbolt to FireWire, I'm still not able to get a light weight field machine that fits my needs at a reasonable price.

So I'll continue to wait to see if this weird new configuration by the intelligencia at Apple can be fixed to suit my needs. I just don't see why they didn't include FireWire! Even for external disk access!!

Post Thanks / Like

And since there is currently no adapter for Thunderbolt to FireWire,

You can buy the Thunderbolt monitor (has FW800)
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    And since there is currently no adapter for Thunderbolt to FireWire,

You can buy the Thunderbolt monitor (has FW800)
    That would be a really fun system to have out in the field!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rga View Post
    That would be a really fun system to have out in the field!

And the monitor would have the right resolution.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    And the monitor would have the right resolution.
    Remove the monitor stand and when used with the new Lion launchpad it's just like a big iPad.