The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Panorama Technique

Don Libby

just watch out that nothing changes between shots...like moving leaves, clouds, the light, etc. though branches and objects with sharp outlines are the most pesky. i have seen a few cases where the same person (poltergeist?) appeared in more than one place in the final image. an interesting effect
You're correct - the hardest panos I've done so far is with water and/or fast moving clouds. Once you have it all set up you've got to be fast in taking the images otherwise you'll need to restart. I normally do several dry runs making sure I have my overlaps and timing before I take the first image.

don

Don Libby

This was one I was testing a couple days ago from my back yard. 2 rows 3 columns merged the image measured 26x41 or 12332 by 8072 pixels @ 300 ppi. I think I’m ready for the Grand Canyon.

don

forgot to add the lens info: 75-150 shot at 150

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Like this?

don

Thanks Don my issue is wider angle . So I thought camera in vertical than just a single row pano of 3 or 4 images just to get me very wide for interiors. OrI could do the setup you have and looks like doing a multi level Pano for even bigger. I mayjust have to get one and see what i can do with it

Guy Mancuso

Thanks Don my issue is wider angle . So I thought camera in vertical than just a single row pano of 3 or 4 images just to get me very wide for interiors. OrI could do the setup you have and looks like doing a multi level Pano for even bigger. I may just have to get one and see what i can do with it
Wish I had that lens you got there . Making me jealous. LOL

Don Libby

Thanks Don my issue is wider angle . So I thought camera in vertical than just a single row pano of 3 or 4 images just to get me very wide for interiors. OrI could do the setup you have and looks like doing a multi level Pano for even bigger. I mayjust have to get one and see what i can do with it
Just switch the orientation from landscape to portrait, that’s what I shot the test image; 2 rows 3 columns at however I found I don’t really need to do that with the 28 as landscape works just fine.

David K

Workshop Member
Or, if you can wait till the lighting workshop, use mine... Don makes an interesting (and valid point) about the timing with respect to moving clouds, etc. I've found that sometimes the opposite is true when shooting scenes with water. A slower shutter speed can smooth the water out and make the stitch easier.

Guy Mancuso

Thanks folks . David let's try it out in Florida. I have some upcoming interiors to do when I get back and i want to be armed for the worst. I scouted one house out today and this bathroom is a nightmare.

Guy Mancuso

Don next time in Tucson let's do lunch. I would love to get together and chew the fat as they say.

David K

Workshop Member
Single row, three images, merged in CS3... taken with the Rollei 80mm 2.8 at around f/11 and 1 sec. It was getting dark and I was getting eaten alive by bugs. Need to remember to put bug spray in my pano kit.