The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Plaubel PL70 sliding adapter

greygrad

Is anyone out there familiar with the Plaubel PL70 sliding adapter?

Very little information available on the web about it. I've contacted the only UK retailer I can find with some questions ... but nothing back yet.

In particular I was wondering:

1. Will it accept a Hasselblad V-fit finder, such as the RMFX? I believe the earlier version (PL41?) would, not sure about this one though.

2. Is it possible to remove and rotate the adapter plate 90 degrees for portrait format shooting?

3. Is the ground glass nice and bright, or dark and grainy? Could it be easily replaced (e.g. with a Maxwell screen)? Is a fresnel available?

4. What's the quality of the machining like?

It's indexed for stitching and has a clever way of raising the gg in order to position the digital back...but that's about all I know right now. I can't even find a decent picture of one.

Cheers,

Angus

Steve Hendrix

Is anyone out there familiar with the Plaubel PL70 sliding adapter?

Very little information available on the web about it. I've contacted the only UK retailer I can find with some questions ... but nothing back yet.

In particular I was wondering:

1. Will it accept a Hasselblad V-fit finder, such as the RMFX? I believe the earlier version (PL41?) would, not sure about this one though.

2. Is it possible to remove and rotate the adapter plate 90 degrees for portrait format shooting?

3. Is the ground glass nice and bright, or dark and grainy? Could it be easily replaced (e.g. with a Maxwell screen)? Is a fresnel available?

4. What's the quality of the machining like?

It's indexed for stitching and has a clever way of raising the gg in order to position the digital back...but that's about all I know right now. I can't even find a decent picture of one.

Cheers,

Angus

Angus -

I would be very, very cautious.

Some years back I sold a Plaubel sliding back, along with the Plaubel 6x9 view camera, to one of my clients. The 6x9 is a fine little camera, by the way. However, we were never able to get the tolerances on the sliding mechanism to the point focus could be achieved correctly. This was after being sent back fort adjustments, swapped out, etc. I don't know that this is the exact same sliding back - it looks like it, though.

Maybe it has improved. I would not buy it through a dealer you did not have an existing good partnership with.

Just a heads up.

My question would be - why wouldn't you buy a KaptureGroup slider? And for what camera, also?

Steve Hendrix