The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Opinions on 5 Mamiya lenses

danlindberg

Here goes, I am about to order an Aptus 7 with the 'kit' DF body and 80 LS. I have no discount and my dealer is not seeing any campaigns in the near future.

However, They do have a campaign on the following lenses - really really good prices, so is there anything in this list that I 'should' pick up for very little money? (I have no idea with Mamiya lenses...)

Mamiya AF 55/2.8
Mamiya AF 150/3.5
Mamiya AF 210/4.0 IF ULD
Mamiya AF APO 300/4.5 IF
Mamiya AF 105-210/4.5

Edit: and this one - Mamiya 55-110/4.5

kdphotography

I think you'll find Jack's overview of lenses helpful: http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15710

Jack is pretty critical/picky (and I doubt he'd deny!) about lenses---and what you find acceptable, he may not. Jack is consistent, and this is what makes his reviews of cameras/lenses very good.

In general, the newer "D series" and LS lenses are the best of the bunch.

ken

vjbelle

I have a rule regarding lenses. Any money wasted on a bad lens is truly wasted money. If you shoot Leica then go after that quality. I would not buy any of the lenses you have mentioned. There are additional issues with the DF shutter vibration that you should also consider as it greatly affects the quality of images shot with longer lenses. The only lenses that I would consider using on the DF are the Schneider leaf shutter lenses. Save your money for the lenses that really count.

Victor

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
I have a rule regarding lenses. Any money wasted on a bad lens is truly wasted money. If you shoot Leica then go after that quality. I would not buy any of the lenses you have mentioned. There are additional issues with the DF shutter vibration that you should also consider as it greatly affects the quality of images shot with longer lenses. The only lenses that I would consider using on the DF are the Schneider leaf shutter lenses. Save your money for the lenses that really count.

Victor
Victor, you make a good point. However, not everybody can afford Leica glass or Schneider LS glass. I realize any true Leica aficionado might say 1 great lens is better than 5 good lenses, but the reality is that most people that actually use their cameras to make images would prefer 5 good lenses to 1 great one...

danlindberg

I couldn't agree with you more Victor! In fact, since I am on a tough budget and still wanting to enter the tech cam world I decided today that I am not taking the DF kit with the Aptus. It can at first glance seem stupid, but either I do that or instead I fork out for a third tech lens instead. Concentrating on that 'one' system to start with and getting to know it well.
The whole point of this project/investment is to expand client base in architectual assignments and hopefully jump a notch in level - meaning both myself and clients ;)

kdphotography

...It also depends on what digital back that you are using. Earlier back generations are more friendly to lenses than the latest iterations of MFDBs.

ken