Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Falling in love

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Falling in love

HUGE RRS fan. That is all i will buy for any camera is RRS stuff
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like we all love RRS as much as Guy loves his new 150mm (the topic of this thread ).

As I understand it, RRS has two machine shops where their work is done. I agree with Woody that there is an ideal balance to be sought, which looks to have been difficult for the fine folks at RRS to achieve at times. We're all still fans for sure, just a bit anxious to get their fine gear. Like Woody, one could wonder if it's time to find a third machine shop (as well as covering the other steps as Jack pointed out), or even consider stepping up to an in-house process at some point for at least part of the work. (I know a guy who has two CNC machines at his home!) We don't have the luxury of seeing their process from the inside, nor the benefit of feeling their pain as a small business. I"m just anxious to get my RRS stuff that I can order more!

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    OK, just spoke to RRS again. The engineer spoke to the owner of the machine shop and "it's on the long, long list" of items to get through. Apparently, a back-order of 200 Nikon D700 plates is in the way, so I blame Nikon users.

Anyway, he said to keep calling (and I will). He was hopeful that "a couple of weeks" would be the time frame, but those of us who have waited for RRS stuff in the past know how this can go.

Dale
    Sorry guys, I will plead guilty to having the base plate and L bracket for my D700 on order. I think part of the slowdown might have been caused by a redesign of the D700 L bracket as there were a lot of design complaints when the first pictures were revealed.

Terry

Terry

Post Thanks / Like

Aha!! Then if we could get Terry and the rest of the fine D700 owners to cancel their L-plate orders, just for a while, we can get this little Mamiya/Phase plate out of the way.

K?

Post Thanks / Like

Follow-up on RRS L bracket for Mamiya 645 AFD/AFDII (and I assume the Phase/Mamiya body as well) availability:

Just spoke to one of the guys at RRS and he understands that the Mamiya 645 L plates are nearing completion. He said that there are 25 expected to arrive late Friday (8/29/08) though asked that I emphasize expected and should arrive, etc. so that if something unexpected occurs that no one would be misled or disappointed. Monday is a holiday in the U.S. so existing orders would be expected to go out on Tuesday if all goes well.

FYI: There are seven plates currently on back-order to previous orders (as of the time of my call), leaving 18 pieces for new orders.

The part number should be BM645-L, but please do your own diligence to confirm. The website and current catalogue both list this number at this time.

Note: the website does not currently have a photo of this plate (that I can see), but the printed catalogue shows it to have a slot for a hand-strap and two detent pins for anti-twist.

Hope this is of help to others,

Dale
    Last edited by Dale Allyn; 27th August 2008 at 15:52.

carbonmetrictree

Are there any physical locations in Southern California that have RRS on hand? Quick release plates are one of the few items I really need to physically handle to decide on a purchase, my life depends on that piece of metal!