Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Falling in love

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Falling in love

Well another 4 day job and another 2800 images and I am just really falling in love with this MF stuff. Okay the downside i am getting a workout , literarily holding the camera for several hours at a time and at the end of this I actually was getting a blister on my holding thumb on the grip. Also getting cramps in my back , more like spasms but the results are just killer. All I got after showing images on screen to hundreds of folks was WOW. The images from MF are just so much different , there is such depth to the images. And the sharpness from my three main lenses the 55, 80 and new 150mm are just amazingly crisp. The new Mamiya 150mm is just flat out something else. You saw test images but real world there just stunningly crisp with tons of great bokeh. I know many of folks complain about the LCD but coming from the DMR and M8 the LCD to me is a treat. I know we all want a Nikon LCD 3 inch display but I really am not feeling a want here. Mine is accurate and it tells me pretty much what the file looks like except the high ISO shots look very grainy on LCD they are not in real life. Trying to figure out why they look grainy though on the LCD .Once you realize it not a problem but it is somewhat a concern when shooting.

The new Phase Body i really am liking very much , very responsive and I also switched out the Alkaline batteries for rechargeable and it seems to be a touch faster like I thought it may do. I have 43 gb's of data to work on and may post some images but so far I am hooked pretty damn hard on this MF stuff. I just love the files and the look from it.

BTW this system and the images from it helped land more work. I know it is me behind them but the gear is making me look even better. Can't beat that with a stick.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Senior Subscriber Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Falling in love

Have you tried lithiums in the body? I run Li cells in my AFDII, and they're significantly lighter, last forever, don't drop in voltage like alkalines, can store forever, can output higher current than even NiMH's, and will never leak crap if unused. They're also cheaper per Wh of capacity than alkalines. A significant part of the body weight is the 6 AA cells!

I sure wish the LCD on my ZD was as good as the M8!

So the new 150 is that good... Hmm...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jan,
    I have an extra brand new Mamiya 150mm/f2.8 if you are interested.
    Let me know.
    L

Lance Schad
    Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
    Direct: 305-534-5701 x1 | Cell: 305-394-3196
    Capture Integration
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Have you tried lithiums in the body? I run Li cells in my AFDII, and they're significantly lighter, last forever, don't drop in voltage like alkalines, can store forever, can output higher current than even NiMH's, and will never leak crap if unused. They're also cheaper per Wh of capacity than alkalines. A significant part of the body weight is the 6 AA cells!

I sure wish the LCD on my ZD was as good as the M8!

Yes, Jan, it is that good.
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like

And what is the price of that 150mm again Lance? I know I shouldn't even be asking but I've been good lately and haven't spent anything on new equipment for at least a couple of months!

Ron

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ron it is around 3300 or so but I will say worth the money no question. I know a lot but even leica M lenses cost this much or more depending on which one and this 150 is in that league if not better.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jan I bought 16 new Sanyo eneloop batteries. I used them before on my flash units and what i like about them they hold a charge for a long time. I will look at the Lithum though

Post Thanks / Like

THe thing that is killing me is computer space...

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    Drobo...

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2560

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by mark1958 View Post
    Drobo here also. 4 terabytes.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Well another 4 day job and another 2800 images and I am just really falling in love with this MF stuff. Okay the downside i am getting a workout , literarily holding the camera for several hours at a time and at the end of this I actually was getting a blister on my holding thumb on the grip. Also getting cramps in my back , more like spasms but the results are just killer. All I got after showing images on screen to hundreds of folks was WOW. The images from MF are just so much different , there is such depth to the images. And the sharpness from my three main lenses the 55, 80 and new 150mm are just amazingly crisp. The new Mamiya 150mm is just flat out something else. You saw test images but real world there just stunningly crisp with tons of great bokeh. I know many of folks complain about the LCD but coming from the DMR and M8 the LCD to me is a treat. I know we all want a Nikon LCD 3 inch display but I really am not feeling a want here. Mine is accurate and it tells me pretty much what the file looks like except the high ISO shots look very grainy on LCD they are not in real life. Trying to figure out why they look grainy though on the LCD .Once you realize it not a problem but it is somewhat a concern when shooting.

The new Phase Body i really am liking very much , very responsive and I also switched out the Alkaline batteries for rechargeable and it seems to be a touch faster like I thought it may do. I have 43 gb's of data to work on and may post some images but so far I am hooked pretty damn hard on this MF stuff. I just love the files and the look from it.

BTW this system and the images from it helped land more work. I know it is me behind them but the gear is making me look even better. Can't beat that with a stick.
    Guy, do you have a hand strap for your Mamiya?

I do 8 hour wedding stints at a dead run and couldn't do it without a hand strap so I can just let the whole thing hang at my side when not in use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes Marc using a Nikon hand strap actually. I just love hand straps, but the Nikon one is just okay . Looking for something better that fits me more comfortable but I agree without the hand strap it would have been a lot worse. I know Canon makes a nice one and i loved the DMR hand strap. The Alpa one looks nice also

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well another 4 day job and another 2800 images
    You're gonna wear that thing out

Super Duper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes Marc using a Nikon hand strap actually. I just love hand straps, but the Nikon one is just okay . Looking for something better that fits me more comfortable but I agree without the hand strap it would have been a lot worse. I know Canon makes a nice one and i loved the DMR hand strap. The Alpa one looks nice also
    Check out Camdapter straps. I have one on my D300+MB-D10 and it is awesome! The adapter plate is compatible with Manfrotto QR2 heads but they also have Arca Swiss type plates as well.
    Carlos Echenique | Carlos Echenique Photography |Olympus OM-D E-M1 MK II | Olympus Pen-F - M.Zuiko 17mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 25mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8, Rokinon 12mm f/2 NCS, M.Zuiko 75mm f/1.8, M.Zuiko 12-40mm f/2.8 PRO, M.Zuiko 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I like the hand strap made for the H system better than any I've used to date. It's comfortable and doesn't stretch out after using it all day like the Canon one used to. I liked it so much I adapted it for use on the D3.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the Camadapter strap which I don't like very much but I did try Ray's Hassy strap which i did like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I ordered the Hassy strap , give that a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Any link on the Hassy strap? I've been using my PhaseOne as a walk-about for the past several weeks with the Camadapter strap. It works OK, but would like to find something a bit more substantial.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks much, Guy.

Just curious, on your latest job, which lens did you find yourself using the most?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The 55mm and the 150mm. I also put a lot of use on the 35mm which BTW for flash work is great , set at 1/40 and 5.6 with Nikon 800 flash set on A mode and worked a charm. I also used the new 80mm . The 300mm i used for a couple things. Seems like I get use out of all of them . I feel real comfortable with my set 35,55,80 and 150 plus the 300 when I need it. I would not mind having the 45mm also though

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll chime in on the hand straps. I have the Hassy strap on my H3DII and on my new Phase One body.

I REALLY LOVE THIS STRAP.

For the Phase/Mamiya body, I'm using it in conjunction with the RRS plate. The only issue is that I had to machine the RRS plate for this use. You will need to have milled the slot for the strap to pass through, a relief cut for the strap thickness on the side which mounts to the body, and also a lesser relief cut on the exposed side so that you can mount the camera to the RRS ball head (without removing the hand strap) and have no interference from the strap.

Sorry for the TERRIBLE photos, but I only have my IPhone here today to take pictures of the other camera.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ray, nice strap but did you take that pic with your iPhone

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ray your going to have to cut me that slot on my RRS plate. Right now I have a O ring sandwiched in the pin and the RRS plate which is very secure but not a pretty setup but it works for now

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a big fan of L-plates and have one on order from RRS for my Mamiya 645 AFD II. They're not in stock, but we should have an update on the status of them tomorrow or so (I just talked to them). The nice thing about the L-plate is that it has a slot for a hand-strap (right-side).

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dale keep us posted on that if you would.

Post Thanks / Like

Will do, Guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the RRS L Bracket on my H3DII-39 and the strap fits just lovely. No problems whatsoever. RRS make really good stuff.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jan Brittenson View Post
    Jan, just got mine this afternoon and did a very quick, informal handheld comparison between the 150/2.8 and 150/3.5. (I did hand-held first because that's often how I'm shooting the 150, and wanted a real-world comparison between the two.)

Backing up a bit, I should comment that the 150/3.5 is excellent at f5.6 and up, and slightly softer wider open, making it actually pretty nice for people portraits when you want to camouflage some wrinkles. The 150/3.5 also shows some CA and purple fringing at apertures wider than f5.6, but for the most part the purple fringe and CA tools in C1 remove these.

By way of comparison, the 150/2.8 at 2.8 is even sharper than the 150/3.5 at f5.6. Then pretty much all you see as you stop the 150/2.8 down is more DoF. FWIW, it's even a bit better than the 210 ULD, so I'd say yes, it is that good!

Noteworthy is there is no CA or purple fringe that I can see, even along high-contrast edges wide open. Moreover, it is an IF design optic and focuses closer than the 150/3.5 (1 meter), and even more importantly, appears to nail focus perfectly wide open at f2.8! In summary I'll say it is one of the best lenses I've ever seen from a technical standpoint. 's Mamiya!

But for all of its operational perfection, there are a few drawbacks. First it is pretty big. It has the more robust, higher-quality build of the newer Mamiya lenses (a good thing), but is perhaps twice as long and half-again as heavy as the f3.5 version. IOW it's no featherweight and more on the scale of its competitor's similar focals. Next is the price. The 150/3.5 new at B&H is $1189 (and good copies can be had used for around $400 on the boards), while this new lens retails for over $3,000 -- or now basically the same realm as it's primary competition.

I'll try and get some comparative images up soon.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here are some images of the two lenses side-by-side (with a normal 12 ounce can of Coke between them) so you can get an idea of how they compare:

Cheers,
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So, bottom line, Jack ... will you still be selling your 150/3.5 version?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It's been listed in the B&S for a few days already, but no bites.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re the strap..you would think RRS would actually figure that hand straps are a good idea and provide for same in their L plates..oh well ...looks liek I will have to get the old mill fired up myself...

personally I find the Hasselblad grip a touch on the short side for my hand - just a touch - enough to make it a bother for long term holding - however, the L plate provides a second holding point for the other hand when shooting hand held - it does make for a steadier shot - same reason I use the larger Alpa 12 with two handles as opposed to a TC...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Here's what I did for my hand-strap. This is a Canon hand-strap and a Kirk plate. Normally I prefer RRS plates, but in the case of the Mamiya AFD body, the Kirk L-bracket hugs the body far better than the RRS did so that's what I chose. (I understand RRS may have a redesign available soon.)

PS: Please excuse the look to the images --- they were shot with my M8 and I had a 70 year old lens attached

The full monty:

Zoom on the actual strap attachment. Note that I have milled a slot the same width and just deep enough for two layers of strap, and keep the entire strap UNDER the plate so it won't interfere with sliding the plate in and out of a clamp:

Finally, my strap ring mounting solution. I use a metal keeper cannibalized from another strap to hold a snap-ring securely in place, and have an identical one on the other end of the hand-strap. I can then attach a quick-release shoulder strap to those rings and have both the hand-strap and shoulder strap attached and functional on the camera:

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Reminds me of a sign above a lunch counter I once saw in Brooklyn.
    "Don't complain about the coffee, one day you too will be old and weak."
    -bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    Re the strap..you would think RRS would actually figure that hand straps are a good idea and provide for same in their L plates..oh well ...looks liek I will have to get the old mill fired up myself...

personally I find the Hasselblad grip a touch on the short side for my hand - just a touch - enough to make it a bother for long term holding - however, the L plate provides a second holding point for the other hand when shooting hand held - it does make for a steadier shot - same reason I use the larger Alpa 12 with two handles as opposed to a TC...
    Peter

RRS actually does provide a slot for the handstraps on the L brackets (I have one for my H3 and jack has one for his Phase). However for their standard non-L brackets they do not provide the slot. My advice is go for the L. It is more useful in any event as a bracket.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Bob, I resemble that remark!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Woody:

Unfortunately, RRS claims they have a new L-bracket for the Phase/AFD and their website claims it "will ship mid-June," but it is now mid August... And their website still says mid-June and they don't have a picture of this new plate up either. Personally, I would not be holding my breath...

Cheers,
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Woody:

Unfortunately, RRS claims they have a new L-bracket for the Phase/AFD and their website claims it "will ship mid-June," but it is now mid August... And their website still says mid-June and they don't have a picture of this new plate up either. Personally, I would not be holding my breath...

Cheers,
    Jack et al, I've had a RRS L-plate on order for a month or so (maybe six weeks) and spoke to them yesterday about it. I was told that they use two machine shops for their products and that the owner of the machine shop expected to do this item just returned yesterday from vacation. The engineer at RRS was to speak with the shop and get a status report and it was suggested that I call them today for the report. I will do so and report back here.
    Last edited by Dale Allyn; 12th August 2008 at 09:47.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, just spoke to RRS again. The engineer spoke to the owner of the machine shop and "it's on the long, long list" of items to get through. Apparently, a back-order of 200 Nikon D700 plates is in the way, so I blame Nikon users.

Anyway, he said to keep calling (and I will). He was hopeful that "a couple of weeks" would be the time frame, but those of us who have waited for RRS stuff in the past know how this can go.

Dale

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Allyn View Post
    OK, just spoke to RRS again. The engineer spoke to the owner of the machine shop and "it's on the long, long list" of items to get through. Apparently, a back-order of 200 Nikon D700 plates is in the way, so I blame Nikon users.

Anyway, he said to keep calling (and I will). He was hopeful that "a couple of weeks" would be the time frame, but those of us who have waited for RRS stuff in the past know how this can go.

Dale
    WOW!

I know RRS is a small shop but this reeks of very poor planning.
    Also there can't be that many requests for MF L plates that they would be unable to do a short run. Sounds like the backlog of D700 plates is not going to be relieved any time soon so doing the short run of MF plates should not terribly affect it.

Woody

Post Thanks / Like

Woody,

I get the impression that the relatively fewer requests for the MF L plates doesn't help our cause. Maybe we need more people to submit orders for the L plate.

Actually, they've been very nice about it, and they are aware that some of us really want/need the L-plate. I can go with Kirk if need be, but I prefer to stay with the RRS if possible. And Kirks model doesn't accommodate the hand-strap without work or by using Jack's technique. I like that the RRS plate has the two detent pins as well.

Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll get the run done soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I hear you Dale and would like to help more but I already bought my RRS L bracket for the Hassy H3DII-39 and love it as I have loved all RRS brackets for the past 8 bodies I owned.

My only point is that a capable machine shop, given appropriate direction, could easily turn out 10-15 L brackets in no more than two days if that long. That would eliminate the backlog and have a lot of enthusiastic and happy customers.

On the other hand, a backlog of 700 brackets for the D700 is not going to go away anytime soon so why not stick the MF L brackets into the middle of that production run and acknowledge the realities. Then tomorrow go back to producing the D700 brackets. This imposes a day or two delay on 20 or so customers who are waiting for that plate. The approach they have taken is to impose a very substantial delay on ALL MF users who have to wait for the entire backlog of D700 brackets to be fulfilled before seeing the first of the MF brackets. Doesn't sound like a sound marketing approach to me but JMHO. YMMV

Woody

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, there is first the machining, then the pin insertion, then the polishing, then the cleaning, then the anodizing, and finally the silk-screening or however they attach their logo, etc. I suspect it is the domino effect of getting all of that through the mill when your primary machinist has been off-duty for a month...

However, I agree -- a REAL business would have another machine shop online to pick up the slack so the current situation would never happen to begin with.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Woody and Jack, I agree. I'm not a fan of "just in time" inventory management in most cases anyway. It may work for the accountant (in a narrow view), but it is rarely good for customer service. An occasional back-order is one thing, but most of us have experienced stock shortages with RRS that have caused us to fill our needs elsewhere. That's where the accountant's narrow view is flawed (when it comes to "j.i.t. inventories).

Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Get real you guys!! - the cost of borrow ( debt) for all companies has gone through the roof. I want RRS to manage thei working capital - most of which is invetory so that they actually SURVIVE what is going on in the real world. What comaies are paying their banks for working capital needs bears no relation to oficaly quoted interest rates..

Post Thanks / Like

Not to be argumentative, Peter, but (as I'm sure you know) there is an appropriate balance that is needed. Maybe RRS has achieved that, but it's likely that many may disagree. I love RRS – the products and the folks working there – and like you, I want them to survive too. But as a business owner who also stocks inventory I wouldn't survive another year if I asked my customers to wait for product. The best things going for RRS is that they have fine products and because they work within a niche field there is little competition.

It is what it is with RRS and others like them. I wasn't beating them up (or didn't intend to be), just stating that being too conservative can be also be detrimental to business.

Last edited by Dale Allyn; 12th August 2008 at 17:32. Reason: typo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Dale - I agree that customer service is teh number one driver of companis liek this. I was just putting that maybe small companies ned a bit of elbow room these days. i love their stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Peter, I'm pretty sure we largely agree here. Our conversation meandered off-topic and went a little "academic". I love their stuff too. And as a small business owner, I understand your point.

Cheers

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peter and Dale

I think the issue here is "balance." If they could resolve their Nikon D700 backlog in, say, a week then asking the MF folks to wait a week is not a problem. If it takes a month or more, then in my opinion asking them to wait until all of the D700 orders are filled is not.

I would have the machine shop set up so that half their capacity is allocated to the D700 and the other half to the MF stuff. Since the MF amounts to about 20 pieces IIRC, it won't be long until the D700 gets the full capacity again. JMHO

Oh, and by the way, I too love RRS. I have owned L brackets for every camera I bought in the last six or seven years and also own the full pano set. No one does it better in terms of quality, useful products. I want them to survive but to do so they must satisfy customer demand in a better way.

Woody