The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Capture One and Lion 10.7

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Difficult to say. I haven't really noticed anything, although now that you mentioned it, the images do seem to resolve their sharpness faster. The adjustment brush is still very slow, although it also seems to be a little better.

I know there are some issues being discussed over on Phase's forum, not sure what they are but may want to check it out before upgrading. I went for a few days on one computer with no issues, so took the plunge. Hard to get used to the new way of scrolling when you have to go back and forth (which I like now that I'm used to it).

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I upgraded with 6.2.2 & Lion 10.7. So far it seems to run fine with image editing although I have run into a problem with using a Lexar USB 3 reader that crashes / hangs Capture One. Basically if I have the reader & card attached when I launch C1 Pro, attempting an import will hang C1 Pro. If I start C1 Pro and then insert the card, it'll load up the images fine. Kind of a strange one.

I tried resetting all settings, cleaning everything out as per Phase One's instructions and re-installing but I can reproduce the problem at will on my i7 MBP.

I agree with Wayne about the Lion scrolling - pretty strange at first but now seems natural.

Stefan Steib

Thanks Wayne for the hint to the Phase Forum- there I found this thread:

http://forum.phaseone.com/En/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=10970

about the crashing CF Import and the following message from Phase Staff member Drew:

"We're looking into it. As Lion isn't even a week old it will likely be awhile before we would recommend the update. There are bound to be some bugs and from this thread it seems the import feature may be one of them. Hang tight and put off upgrading if you could, at least until the dust settles. We'll have a look at this issue and if it is a bug we'll try to adjust for Apples changes as soon as possible."

so I think I will wait.......... not a nuisance BTW feeling completely comfortable at current status.

Greetings from Munich
Stefan

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
As mentioned earlier, if you start C1 Pro WITHOUT a card in the reader and then insert the card and import then it seems to work ok. I guess the copy files to a folder on the disk approach will work also - I naturally assumed that maybe it was an issue with my new fast card reader but it would appear to be a general issue.

Phase One: guys, that's a pretty dumb error that surely EVERY customer will run into. I'm surprised that one slipped through.

mvirtue

I have issues with 6.2.1/6.2.2 and importing off of a CF card. 6.1.1 is just fine. It sucks having to install one version to import and then run the other if I want to play with Media Pro. And this is on 10.5.8.

Vincent Goetz

Subscriber Member
It works but I have noticed little difference other than my LaCie Monitor which I am now selling (They have NO customer support) and some of my Photo Shop plug-ins. Of course Image Print doesn't work, but they have an update in August. This always irks me because Apple is aggressive at sharing their code in development. The software companies that have not addressed updated operating systems are rapidly becoming suspect in my book.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Maybe one time I am just waiting this out. Just finished a big gig in NY and going on vacation so I will just let the dust settle. Also looking for a REAL reason to jump when my system is humming along just fine right now. I'm over the cool factor with Lion . If it makes my system more stable and effective than it's a no brainer but I have not seen statements like 20 percent increase in processing or comments like that yet so sorry folks not playing beta boy on this one. BTW my IQ 160 was a screamer in NY

Stefan Steib

I also found out that Canon´s Eos utility will not work anymore, which I use for some reasons also, so until this changes it´s a no go for me too.
Maybe I put it on an external disk to try it out.

Greetings from Munich
Stefan

mesposito

......I'm over the cool factor with Lion . If it makes my system more stable and effective than it's a no brainer but I have not seen statements like 20 percent increase in processing or comments like that yet so sorry folks not playing beta boy on this one. BTW my IQ 160 was a screamer in NY
That's a good move. We aren't the right kinds of users to be release testing unless it's on a test machine. Personally I used SuperDuper to duplicate my boot drive onto a separate partition. I'm installing Lion there to see what works and what doesn't first.

Have a great vacation!

Guy Mancuso

Just installed Lion c1 is crashing on import. Not making me totally happy . Luckily i am in between gigs

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Thought I'd mention that while C1 on Lion doesn't seem much faster on my main computer (12 core MacPro) it definitely seems faster on my MacBook Pro (recent 4core).

Last edited:

vitormunhoz

I havent tried importing anything yet, but my version of Capture One Pro 5 is working just fine on Lion! No crashes yet, fingers crossed!

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You are all nuts. Don't install new versions of the OS for at least a month or two after it's release. There are ALWAYS bugs. Every. Single. Time.

Just wait a month or two. Your life will be easier. Your hair will retain more of it's natural color. Members of the opposite sex will suddenly find you more attractive.

Guy Mancuso

Damn I'm in real trouble than. Good advice Doug but we are gear techno sluts that always want something new. I at least waited for a big project to be done but was really itching to instal it. I did and you guessed it C1 does not import from your CF cards. So where is the update bud. LOL

No patience and lead guinea pig.

The good news is we have you to save our proverbially butts.:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

etrump

You are all nuts. Don't install new versions of the OS for at least a month or two after it's release. There are ALWAYS bugs. Every. Single. Time.

Just wait a month or two. Your life will be easier. Your hair will retain more of it's natural color. Members of the opposite sex will suddenly find you more attractive.
Apparently it's not working for me Doug. Not the OS but the opposite sex thing. Any other suggestions?

Analog6

I upgraded with 6.2.2 & Lion 10.7. So far it seems to run fine with image editing although I have run into a problem with using a Lexar USB 3 reader that crashes / hangs Capture One. Basically if I have the reader & card attached when I launch C1 Pro, attempting an import will hang C1 Pro. If I start C1 Pro and then insert the card, it'll load up the images fine. Kind of a strange one.

I tried resetting all settings, cleaning everything out as per Phase One's instructions and re-installing but I can reproduce the problem at will on my i7 MBP.

I agree with Wayne about the Lion scrolling - pretty strange at first but now seems natural.
That's interesting - I only have C1-5 but it does that exact thing running under OS10.5.8 - I thought it must just be 'cos I only have 4Gb (maximum) RAm on my iMac.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member

I support hundreds of customers with various printers and cameras. Standard procedure is clone the main drive, install new software, if I can't work out the issues, start up from the previous system. If I have software that won't run on the new system, again start up for the old. These are rarely mainstream programs, more like utilities which are often fixed quickly or never fixed at all so time to find a replacement. I assume somewhere at your place you are also testing Lion thoroughly ... have you discovered anything very serious at all?

Personally I've found Lion be less of an issue than either Leopard or Snow Leopard, printing issues have only popped up for a few who didn't clean out their printing systems and having remnants of ancient drivers on their computer. Very few customer calls with printing issues this time around.

Almost all "bugs" have easy workarounds, such as the C1 bug. I don't use C1 to import, LR works fine for that. LR has a minor issue with the scroll bar on occasion, but I've been working in C1, LR, and PS since day one without any real problems.

Running Lion 100% now, both laptop (which has been running better on the road than Snow Leopard was) and my main computer at home.

If everyone "waited" the bugs wouldn't get discovered till the next update ...

Heck, if I have to wait I'd miss out on all the fun :D

etrigan63

I can appreciate that Doug, but it's nuts like me who figure out what is wrong and what needs to be fixed. That's why I have graduate degrees in IT for.

I am going to be building my own NAS when I get the parts. Want to watch?

etrigan63

For the record Apple isn't immune either. I upgraded and Aperture 3.13 refused to import files into my existing library. The workaround was to create a new library and everything was fine.

I picked up a Magic Trackpad for my Mac Pro which makes the jump to Lion absolutely worth the effort. Now if only Google will make Chrome gesture aware and Mozilla the same for Firefox.

Sadly, a LaCie USB 3.0 card was a casualty of the upgrade as my box refused to boot up with anything plugged in to the card. I am starting to suspect that this is a memory related issue (Lion appears to be a lot more fussy about memory - I had 12 GB of RAM in a mix of 1GB & 2GB pairs, so I pulled all of the 1GB pairs and things seem more stable now at 8GB).

I will have to contact LaCie to see if there is a firmware update to the card or some other solution.

Last edited: