The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF kit on MC

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Okay, so I know for sure now there are a bunch of motorcyclists on here. :)

I'm looking for a way to carry my MF kit on a motorcycle. In a car or by foot it's not tough - just load up the LowePro NatureTrekker II and strap the tripod to the back of it. No problem.

But the thing doesn't fit in my Givi 45 liter topcase. It's about 2" too long and 1" too wide. Not counting the assortment of straps and clips and zippers and random doohickeys all over it. I could strap it to the cargo plate I have in place of the passenger seat, except for all the said straps and adjustment doohickeys - this would take an eternity to secure, and it's not very rigid on top of that.

So I'm looking for a simple box type carrier with padded interior that fits in the Givi topcase, and/or can be strapped to a cargo plate. A Pelican case is a possibility, but I'd rather have bag type dividers than foam - it's a better use of space IMO. Also a zippered top would be nice, rather than a hinged lid. Some sort of rigid shell with a nylon exterior, with mount loops and maybe a handle or shoulder strap eyes.

Hmm... I just looked over Pelican, and they DO make cases with regular dividers! Has anyone tried these?

bensonga

Jan,

Off hand, I don't remember what kind of motorcycle(s) you have, but I've always thought a Pelican type case mounted as a top case would offer the best protection if I wanted to carry any serious photo equipment. I know there are various mounting options out there....Caribou Systems is one I'm familiar with that can mount a Pelican case in either a top case or side case configuration. And I know Pelican offers cases with divider systems instead of foam inserts (never mind....I just read the last sentence of your post again....nope I haven't tried 'em).

I just bought a Pelican roller case (1510 model I think, with foam insert) to hold my 503CWD-II and 40mm lens. Don't think I'll put it on the motorcycle however.....I'm with David K on this one....I'm just not brave enough to try it yet.

Gary Benson
Eagle River, Alaska

Jan Brittenson

Senior Subscriber Member
Gary, I ride the swiss army knife. :)

My current thinking is instead of a Pelican I'll use a custom cut hard foam shell in my Givi topcase. Along the insides I'll attach velcro and then use dividers for compartments. Maybe a piece of foam in the lid as well. That way the topcase itself can be converted into a camera case by simply putting an insert in it. And detached and carried around. Still pondering the problem.