Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: IQ Series Firmware 1.33 Released w/ Live View

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

IQ Series Firmware 1.33 Released w/ Live View

Now available now up on Phase One's website for download:

News in firmware 1.33 since version 1.19

1. Live View is now available on the IQ display (see separate white paper)
    2. IIQ Small file format is now available
    3. New Specific camera mode for Mamiya RZ PRO IID
    4. General stability improvements

http://www.phaseone.com/en/Downloads...-Firmware.aspx

Lance
    LANCE SCHAD - Digital Transitions - Phase One,Mamiya | Leaf,Arca-Swiss,Cambo, Profoto
    direct/cell:610-496-5586 office:877-367-8537x224
    http://www.digitaltransitions.com email:[email protected]

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: IQ Series Firmware 1.33 Released w/ Live View

Read release notes folks. Back is to be removed from body and a reboot is required with a battery removal also. Get it right, will install soon here myself.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Like the small IIQ idea could come in handy especially for those traveling with the new air laptop. Just might be faster to process. Something obviously needs testing but a very handy feature when shoot a big gig too. Oh I fit that description sometimes myself. Lol
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

All installed and running as advertised. LV is very cool and I don't seem to need an ND if I use f8 or f11 on my tech cam. This was in moderate early AM light, so perhaps brighter light will be problematic. Of course you also loose the thin DoF of more open apertures. I carry 3 and 6 stop IR-cut ND filters anyway, so no big issue for me. Frankly I was not expecting much from LV, but it actually works a lot better than I assumed it would and I may find use for it.

Phase!
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Works on the IQ 160 so not sure who or what reported it does not. But have it working on the DF with shutter on bulb. Okay so some my love it but to me a complete waste of my time. I could see using it shooting interior work on a tripod but outside with a DF not a chance. To me this is for the tech cam folks mostly but in all honesty I never seen the value of live view to begin with. But I'm a old dog and think completely different than a lot of people. With tools like focus mask and 100 percent view which on the 160 is almost instant I have to question this function for myself. But I'm a shooter that goes by what is in the finder and what I see . Looking at a LCD to compose and work is just not Guy. But that is me for tech cam crowd I can see it's value but again with other tools my guess is a lot of folks will not use this after some time with a IQ back and it's other functions and if it sucks battery even less so.

In this case I am playing the skeptic role.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Little trick here for DF users you can put cam on manual set it to 30 or 60 seconds and the shutter will stay open that long and you can make your adjustments within that time frame. Nice part is you don't need a cable release with lock or electro shutter release in place. Kind of makes it a lot simpler operation than dealing with a release and frees your hands up to make adjustments. Try it

Post Thanks / Like

I think you're right, unless there's a peaking indicator and a way to instantly grab a shot, LV on the DF and anyway you are TTL so no point at all.

However, once you're on a tripod and want very precise focus, I think DF or tech cam, it's the same. I'm looking forward to this, as it means no GG is needed in the field, and no clumsy sliding back. The GG still has one advantage that you can visualise an entire stitch on the tech cam, but this is incredibly good news. An ND filter is a small price to pay for the effort and weight this feature saves.

Excited, anxiously awaiting my IQ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes certainly can see it's advantages but seriously get extra batteries. I can tell already just playing around this will suck a lot of battery power and you have to be careful about heat as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Guy,

Did you remember to copy the FW to a spare CF card?

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have the old firmware and I should copy the new one as well. Now I have another extra small card thanks to you. great idea

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

BTW did try it outside with a ND filter on as well. Works fine

Post Thanks / Like

I upgraded my FW and tried my sandisk extreme with some pics on it (IIQL)

Double tab still around 3-4 seconds. No speed improvement imho.

How fast is the extreme pro with IQ180?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Backup Firmware For DF IQ180: Assuming we decide to carry a small card with the most recent firmware...is there any reason to carry earlier firmware? My guess is that only the most recent firmware would be in order. If other versions are also put on memory card, then should they be on separate memory cards?

Post Thanks / Like

I would think that multiple firmware releases on a CF card is just inviting trouble. At most, maybe store old versions on your computer somewhere.

B&H has this Sandisk 16GB Extreme Pro for about $130; it includes a *free* 4GB CF card which is just perfect for storing firmware on. Get a faster card for the IQ series and a user firmware card thrown in.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=646873&is=REG

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yes no question on separate cards. That's if you want to carry old firmware around . I probably will not after this new firmware seems okay which I am sure it is. I'll give it a couple days than take the old one out of my wallet.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    I would think that multiple firmware releases on a CF card is just inviting trouble. At most, maybe store old versions on your computer somewhere.

B&H has this Sandisk 16GB Extreme Pro for about $130; it includes a *free* 4GB CF card which is just perfect for storing firmware on. Get a faster card for the IQ series and a user firmware card thrown in.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=646873&is=REG
    Exactly what I did was use that 4gb card I got for free. Plus Steve sent me a old 2gb card . Certainly don't need anything over 2gb so if you have to buy than go cheap. Darn black hole is big enough

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had already made a backup copy of firmware 1.33 on one of those 4GB disks with my 16GB Extreme Pro cards, but could see no reason to carry backup for earlier versions. Charles

Post Thanks / Like

Right, that was my understanding of what it is intended for.

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by wentbackward View Post
    However, once you're on a tripod and want very precise focus, I think DF or tech cam, it's the same. I'm looking forward to this, as it means no GG is needed in the field, and no clumsy sliding back.
    Last edited by Thierry; 28th July 2011 at 12:52.
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well between all the tools the whole idea is one would hope you can just leave all those accessory finders, disto's, sliding backs , ground glass and such home finally. I hope for the tech cam folks that is the case, simple is far better than dealing with all that stuff in the field. I know when I finally buy one I will not be buying any of that stuff. Body and glass plus my wakeup cable arrangement is all I am hoping for. This gets us closer for sure.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re back-up firmware for Phase IQ backs: Just so everybody is clear, the IQ backs have back-up firmware ONBOARD, so no need to carry anything. You simply go to "Firmware" in the menu and choose the default option.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thought it was previous firmware sitting as default not the latest that was updated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

It is some previous "default" firmware, but it is one that is know to be relatively stable to get you through until you can re-load the current one...
    Jack

jeffacme

On two occasions I have had the firmware crater on P1 backs. Both times the back was returned for service as it was completely dead but for the green and red light.

Post Thanks / Like

I am just initially into this but so far I find that for focus there just isn't enough detail. I repeat..... I'm just initially into this. BUT, it really is cool for composition. Finally I can get the camera into the right position using live view. I know that Guy would like to get rid of any extra stuff but a Disto and HPF rings are killer accurate!!.... and FAST!! More to come....

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

With my first try at 50% magnification on 150mm lens (and Schneider 6X7 Loupe) I was able to nail focus. It will take some practice but I'm convinced that it can be accomplished on a repeatable basis. The pixels are constantly changing but come into clear focus.... its just not the same as CMOS live view but can be used effectively. Its all very encouraging!

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    I am just initially into this but so far I find that for focus there just isn't enough detail. I repeat..... I'm just initially into this. BUT, it really is cool for composition. Finally I can get the camera into the right position using live view. I know that Guy would like to get rid of any extra stuff but a Disto and HPF rings are killer accurate!!.... and FAST!! More to come....

Victor
    Victor get into live view than tap to 100 percent and you can work that way also. Even on the DF I can see the change on the LCD as I focused it. Kind of cool.

I fully admit also I am not the biggest fan on this but I have to speak frankly too and I think that is a good thing to do. I honestly don't think anyone should buy this for this feature alone, too me that would be foolish. But with all the other tools on the back together is what makes it great. Now having said that I would buy just for the focus mask tool . Okay I'm crazy . Lol

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I may start carrying my 4x loupe!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Talking about 4x loupe, this is what I have been using viewing the LCD screen on my P45+ and in most cases, focusing with GG on my sliding back. It covers the entire screen and its made out of soft plastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Is that a Hoodman loupe. The loupe makes sense to me the rest just not sure I would buy. To me a tech cam is like a Polaroid just shoot and adjust as needed. What I do today when I use one but the IQ just makes it all that much easier now

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Hoodman loupe isn't a magnifier, but just a means to exclude light. It has a plus or minus three diopter adjustment, but no magnification. There's a 3x magnifying eyecup that can be attached: http://hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1017

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    The Hoodman loupe isn't a magnifier, but just a means to exclude light.
    Damn old eyes. I just looked through my old Hoodman loupe and I think it makes things look smaller....

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

"I think it makes things look smaller...."

That's because the LCDs are getting bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad the LV is up and running. Looking forward to hear more users applying the LV. For those outside of the IQ circle, I find the Chinese knock off 4x loupe works well but like Guy mentioned above per "Polaroid... shoot and adjust..." and thus finding the latter quicker but certainly NO MATCH to the IQ LV.

BTW: Thierry, hope your reference to "sliding back" quote is not arTech... :-p LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Hoodman loupe isn't a magnifier, but just a means to exclude light. It has a plus or minus three diopter adjustment, but no magnification. There's a 3x magnifying eyecup that can be attached: http://hoodmanusa.com/products.asp?dept=1017
    wow ... you're right. no wonder it sucks! Always thought it was a magnifier and never could figure out why it was kinda worthless ... all the optics do is allow you to focus close up.

I guess it makes sense, it's intended use is allowing you to hold a camera up to your eye rather than holding it at arms length when composing and shooting ... actually works quite well on my NEX-5.
    wayne
    My gallery

Post Thanks / Like

Uploadeded the new firmware for liveview.

I guess I assumed that liveview would be something like Canon - set the prefences, push the button, get live view.

The menu on the back all comes up like the images in the "White Paper", but then I get this screen view. The back takes images fine - but live view is just not happeneing.

I reloaded the firmware update - but same same.

Any ideas?

Thanks. Mal

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Need to press the movie icon than set on bulb and hold release down to open the shutter

geyerstudio

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Need to press the movie icon than set on bulb and hold release down to open the shutter
    To elaborate....the shutter needs to be open. On your view camera just open the shutter as if you are focusing on the ground glass. On the DF use bulb to hold it open. A cable release with lock is helpful if you want both hands free to focus and move around the image.

Also, if you can tether your back it is best as I've noticed this function drains the battery more quickly than general photography.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

On the DF you can use T mode to keep the shutter open
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys

Finally got a image up on the Cambo - still have major colour issues - but it was hand held, the light here - night time at present - is not the best - so will pop on the tripod in the morning and give it a second run.

Will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again.

Mal

Post Thanks / Like

I tried the Hoodman for 5 minutes and packed it up and sent it back. There is a night and day difference between a Schneider 6X7 and any hoodman - even with the addition of their 3X magnifier.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by malmac View Post
    Uploadeded the new firmware for liveview.

I guess I assumed that liveview would be something like Canon - set the prefences, push the button, get live view.

The menu on the back all comes up like the images in the "White Paper", but then I get this screen view. The back takes images fine - but live view is just not happeneing.

I reloaded the firmware update - but same same.

Any ideas?

Thanks. Mal

Looks to me like the lens isn't open......

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by vjbelle View Post
    I tried the Hoodman for 5 minutes and packed it up and sent it back. There is a night and day difference between a Schneider 6X7 and any hoodman - even with the addition of their 3X magnifier.

Victor
    Have a link to the schnieders

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Re back-up firmware for Phase IQ backs: Just so everybody is clear, the IQ backs have back-up firmware ONBOARD, so no need to carry anything. You simply go to "Firmware" in the menu and choose the default option.
    I had a crash with the IQ 180 last week, and the restore firmware function disappeared. Had to download and reinstall from a CF card. I have some old 2 gb cards that will stay with me in the field, just in case!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Is that a Hoodman loupe. The loupe makes sense to me the rest just not sure I would buy. To me a tech cam is like a Polaroid just shoot and adjust as needed. What I do today when I use one but the IQ just makes it all that much easier now
    Hi Guy, no this one is made in Japan. It's made out of soft plastic. So, it won't scratch the screen. The optic is quite good well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    I had a crash with the IQ 180 last week, and the restore firmware function disappeared. Had to download and reinstall from a CF card. I have some old 2 gb cards that will stay with me in the field, just in case!
    Wow, good to know -- thanks!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice last night - re the shutter open - for live view.

All seems to be fine - hand holding the camera was the other problem - even with the shutter open the refresh rate in the low light I was in gave a very strange rendition of reality.

mal

Post Thanks / Like

it is in a way, when speaking about "bulky", "heavy", "costy".

Quote Originally Posted by rhsu View Post
    BTW: Thierry, hope your reference to "sliding back" quote is not arTech... :-p LOL!
    Thierry Hagenauer
    [email protected]

petercoxphoto

I just took delivery of my IQ180 a couple of days ago. Spent last night playing with it on my Rm3d, and I have to say that live view is a non-starter for me.

The refresh rate is too slow for focusing, and the need to carry around, add and remove ND filters for that purpose is too much hassle. Focusing by distance and confirming with the focus mask afterwards is wonderfully simple.

Framing is very accurate with the Arca viewfinder so in this case, if it ain't broke, I'm not going to try fixing it.

If it was CMOS-style live view with 25fps, that's a different story - but CCDs just can't do that.

Otherwise I'm very happy with the back. Image quality and east of use is fantastic.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'm thrilled with live view on my IQ 180. I got 1.33 loaded yesterday and had a chance to experiment with my Alpa Max and a Schneider 72mm XL. On a camera with movements live view solves three problems, composition, composition and composition. I can now chuck my iphone holder, the complicated viewfinder mask that I made and so on. For you Arca types it really supplants the little viewfinder box with all of the numbers on it.

The Alpa Max is for use on a tripod so the refresh rate isn't much of a hassle. I use the fastest refresh rate since I'm not using liveview to focus (my leica disto + high res focusing ring handles that to perfection). I've cobbled together two cheap 77mm non circular polarizing filters as a variable ND and it works fine in bright daylight at f 16.

Here's a sample image with a lot of shift - the darkening in the lower right corner is the edge of the image circle. This is composed in the camera cropped to 4x5 proportions - to get this tight without liveview would be hard to impossible.

Post Thanks / Like

Woody, I never thought that the Schneider 72mm XL can achieve such a good result. I don't see the darkening corner that you mentioned.

Yat