Site Sponsors

Thread: IQ Firmware 1.33 and Image Orientation

Post Thanks / Like

IQ Firmware 1.33 and Image Orientation

Since I upgraded to firmware 1.33 the image displayed on the LCD screen stays in landscape orientation for all images until I do a cold boot. That fixes things until I do a normal power down and power on. To be clear an image taken in the portrait mode is displayed rotated 90 degrees to the right while the back is in Portrait orientation. I have my back set to AUTO for image orientation. Never had this problem before the upgrade. Is anyone else seeing this anomaly?

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: IQ Firmware 1.33 and Image Orientation

Victor,

IQ 160 back, new FW, set at auto: photo taken in portrait appears correctly, when back is rotated, image rotates as well, i.e., appears upright as it should.

Steve

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Do a [Menu > Restore Defaults] and that should take care of it.

I've added a note about this to our Phase One IQ Firmware Update blog entry.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
    New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Do a [Menu > Restore Defaults] and that should take care of it.

I've added a note about this to our Phase One IQ Firmware Update blog entry.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)

Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One Partner of the Year
    Leaf, Leica, Cambo, Arca Swiss, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Broncolor, Eizo & More

National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter | RSS Feed
    Buy Capture One 6 at 10% off

Masters Series Workshop:
    New England Landscape - Fall Color (Oct 5-8)
    No that does not resolve my issue. Images taken in portrait mode are displayed 90 degrees clockwise while the back is in portrait orientation. This occurs AFTER taping the screen to access magnification levels.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ah. After tapping the screen, mine does the same thing. Though the proper orientation returns if I go to Home and then Play.

Post Thanks / Like

Doug,

This is definitely an issue with my back and the new firmware. I reverted to 1.19 and there are no problems. This occurs when the back remains stationary in portrait mode - can be placed on a table. A portrait image is displayed in landscape orientation. I can rotate the back and the image will finally rotate out of landscape orientation but if it remains stationary in portrait position all images are displayed in landscape orientation - AFTER taping the screen to access magnification.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Ah. After tapping the screen, mine does the same thing. Though the proper orientation returns if I go to Home and then Play.
    Its always good to know I'm not alone!! I cannot get back to normal without a cold boot. I've started a case with Phase. I'm sure they'll sort this out.

Victor

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

sorry guys in the middle of a whole bunch of computer stuff, so have not got a chance to see what my box is doing.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Guy,

This issue doesn't seem to be wide spread but does occur. All IQ users should check to see if they are affected. Regardless this is obviously a software issue that affects some backs and should be easily remedied by a FW fix.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just checked mine and seems to be working normally.
    wayne
    My gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Just checked mine and confirmed it's working normally as well.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well, while shooting today I had issues described. So I thought my back was fine, now it seems to be flakey at times with this issue.

Also noticed all of my files are "created" on some weird date in 1969 after importing them (using LR to import them and copy them to the computer not c1). Time is correct on the back, and capture time is correct in the metadata. Not sure if it's a problem with the back, a LR issue with the files from the back, or if maybe there's a weird thing going on with OS X 10.7
    wayne
    My gallery

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Interesting. It seems like an intermittent issue then, so I'll keep my eyes on it as I shoot this week and report back.

PS: I'm in Ireland right now on vacation, so weather permitting, I hope to have some images to share later this week! Will be processing the IQ180 files on my newest travel computer, a 13" MacBook Air, so should have additional equipment reports forthcoming as well.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    Well, while shooting today I had issues described. So I thought my back was fine, now it seems to be flakey at times with this issue.

Also noticed all of my files are "created" on some weird date in 1969 after importing them (using LR to import them and copy them to the computer not c1). Time is correct on the back, and capture time is correct in the metadata. Not sure if it's a problem with the back, a LR issue with the files from the back, or if maybe there's a weird thing going on with OS X 10.7
    Wayne,

Please start a case with Phase. The more they hear of this issue the faster it will get resolved.

Victor

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Agree keep making these reports folks. I'm on vacation also but in awesome weather town San Diego. I'm escaping the heat of Arizona. Folks need me use email if you would. I will be doing a full report on the 160 and sensor plus. In a word awesome results.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    Will be processing the IQ180 files on my newest travel computer, a 13" MacBook Air, so should have additional equipment reports forthcoming as well.
    Hurry up, Jack

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I had the same or at least a related issue happen today. In my case, with the camera in portrait orientation if I make a capture it renders correctly. However, if I zoom in on a portrait image to 100% it sometimes -- not always -- rotates 90 degrees, then when I zoom back to full frame, it remains rotated 90 degrees. If I go out and then back via play, then it renders properly. Also interesting is, when I go out to home then back via play, it remains in proper orientation even when I zoom in and out of 100% -- weird and obviously a small glitch that needs to be addressed. Mine do import into C1 in their correct orientation as well.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That sounds like what my back was doing. When I reloaded the FW, the problem stopped, and when I told Phase that the problem had stopped, they closed the case I'd opened about the problem.

Post Thanks / Like

I had the same or at least a related issue happen today. In my case, with the camera in portrait orientation if I make a capture it renders correctly. However, if I zoom in on a portrait image to 100% it sometimes -- not always -- rotates 90 degrees, then when I zoom back to full frame, it remains rotated 90 degrees. If I go out and then back via play, then it renders properly. Also interesting is, when I go out to home then back via play, it remains in proper orientation even when I zoom in and out of 100% -- weird and obviously a small glitch that needs to be addressed. Mine do import into C1 in their correct orientation as well.
    Jack,

If I keep my back in portrait position the thumbnail will appear on the LCD correctly. If I tap the screen for magnification the image rotates to landscape orientation. It does this 100% of the time. This issue is strictly limited to the LCD display..... images imported into ACR or C1 are all in the correct position. Please let phase know of your issue. My case with them is ongoing.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Victor, yes I had that same behavior yesterday, but not the day before. So at least in my case it appears to be intermittent. Moreover, it returns to normal correct behavior if I go out to the main menu and then back to play, and then does NOT rotate with the 100% tap...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The fact that it's intermittent might make it harder for Phase to locate and fix the problem, but they still need to fix it.

Post Thanks / Like

Victor, yes I had that same behavior yesterday, but not the day before. So at least in my case it appears to be intermittent. Moreover, it returns to normal correct behavior if I go out to the main menu and then back to play, and then does NOT rotate with the 100% tap...
    Phase One support has told me that Denmark is aware of this issue and that it will be addressed in the next firmware update. This should be in the very near future. Time will tell.......

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

I held off from updating my IQ180 firmware when Victor reporting having these issues. Not a big deal to me anyway since I'm using the Phase DF and not a tech camera---which means the LCD and focus mask tools carry the day for me. Regardless, nice to know Phase is working on it, and I'll wait to update my firmware until then.

ken

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    I held off from updating my IQ180 firmware when Victor reporting having these issues. Not a big deal to me anyway since I'm using the Phase DF and not a tech camera---which means the LCD and focus mask tools carry the day for me. Regardless, nice to know Phase is working on it, and I'll wait to update my firmware until then.

ken
    Ken,

I would still upgrade...... you can always revert back to 1.19 - a very easy process which takes about 15 seconds. Even using the DF (which I don't use very often) you will find that live view can greatly improve focus accuracy. Of course, this is for stationary objects which may or may not apply in your situation. I was surprised at how far off some of my targets were with the DF. Auto Focus got me close and live view nailed it. You just gotta have lots, and lots of batteries.

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

Will be processing the IQ180 files on my newest travel computer, a 13" MacBook Air, so should have additional equipment reports forthcoming as well.
    Jack, this is OT and the wrong place in the forum as it's computer hardware but could you give a very short summary of your experience with the MPA when using C1? Could it replace a MBP17?

Thank you!

Chris

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cly View Post
    Jack, this is OT and the wrong place in the forum as it's computer hardware but could you give a very short summary of your experience with the MPA when using C1? Could it replace a MBP17?

Thank you!

Chris
    Nah, it's fine to discuss it here too. It actually works pretty well. I only process out one at a time and then things keep running pretty smoothly. The biggest downside to the Air is no FW port, so you cannot tether -- at least until we see an operable Thunderbolt to FW800 adapter
    Jack