The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

A green/yellow cast under luminescent lamps?

evgeny

Q: Should an image have a green/yellow cast under luminescent lamps in an office?

Flash is not fired.
I shoot an image with gray card to set white balance later in post production.
The image is captured with Sinarback 54M.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
That sounds correct actually unless you did a custom WB in camera for that type of light than daylight or flash settings and even AWB will give off that cast. pretty normal actually , so do include a WB card in a image to correct for the whole shoot or do a custom WB in camera with a WB card for that type of light. But this sounds pretty normal if you are on preset WB settings

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Frankly I never seen a camera that can handle that type of light on AWB get it down exactly correct. About the worse light temps out there

Dale Allyn

In my office, with fluorescent lights (5000K Silvania), sometimes some tungsten, and a little daylight leaking in maybe, by shooting a white piece of paper first to set custom white balance on my P25+ the colors are almost spot on. This works better for me than shooting a card in the scene, but that certainly helps too. I have found that a white card or paper comes a lot closer for me than a gray card (especially 18% gray). I should shoot a GM ColorChecker card, but I seldom do.

I don't own a WhiBal card (I don't know why, other than been lazy to order it), but I think that this would be better for digital. The gray in that card is better for digital I think, but I believe that Guy can better comment to that.

Edit to add: While my office lights are 5000K, most offices use lights in the range of 3500K plus or minus (some as low as 2800K), however I have found the method of shooting a white card (full-frame) first to set WB is quite accurate, though YMMV.

Last edited:
T

thsinar

Yes Evgeny, a colour cast is pretty normal, when shooting under different light characteristics and not setting the WB.

You can either do WB immediately, while shooting by clicking on a 18% grey card or Macbeth chart: the following images will then be balanced, or then take an image with this grey card and select all the images in the contact sheet to WB them in CS later ("Neutral" eyedropper). The result will be exactly the same.

Best regards,
Thierry

Q: Should an image have a green/yellow cast under luminescent lamps in an office?

Flash is not fired.
I shoot an image with gray card to set white balance later in post production.
The image is captured with Sinarback 54M.