Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 77

Thread: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

  1. #1
    Shelby Lewis
    Guest

    Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    I know this thread has the potential to die a quick death

    I'm about to move to an RZ platform for my Aptus II 6 and would love to see some shots out of fellow members' portfolios... of course, shot on the RZ67 platform.

    Share away! I'll do the same when I'm geared up soon.

    Cheers! Shelby

  2. #2
    Senior Member bensonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    819

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    I'd love to see some photos taken with this camera too!

    I've recently been toying with the idea of buying a RZ67 Pro II D. Film to start with, perhaps a digital back later. What lenses do you have Shelby? Any recommendations from other RZ owners?

    One can never have too many camera systems....right?

    Gary

  3. #3
    Shelby Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    I'd love to see some photos taken with this camera too!

    I've recently been toying with the idea of buying a RZ67 Pro II D. Film to start with, perhaps a digital back later. What lenses do you have Shelby? Any recommendations from other RZ owners?

    One can never have too many camera systems....right?

    Gary
    Hey Gary,

    I'm shooting a 645 AFDIII with a 210/4 and 80/2.8 right now, plus some canon gear... not caring for the AFD too much. Mamiya optics are really nice, but I've been planning on going to a more tripod based system for a long while. I bought the AFD because I got a good deal on it bundled with the 80/2.8D and the Aptus. I'll admit, I've loved the RZ platform for a long time... so I'm about to invest in a proIID. I'm totally clearing the gear closet. At the end of this, I'll probably just own the RZ system and a compact for day-to-day shots. Probably start with the 110, 180, and 65. I REALLY want the 210 APO and the 50 ULD, but I'll be lucky to have enough dough for the IID and the three cheaper lenses.

    Used Pro IID are HARD to come by. I'd love to find someone to barter a trade of some sorts for my AFDIII and lenses for their ProIID.

    I just found some undeveloped rolls of 120 film (velvia and some b/w) from a few years back when I owned a ProII and the 110. Gonna drop them off at the lab tomorrow if I can. Fingers crossed!

  4. #4
    Senior Member darr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    985
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!



    Mamiya RZ Pro IID | 180 f/4.5 | P45 | Available Light

    Okay Shelby here is a favorite I took of my son last summer. It has been cropped down and was never really sharp, but I salvaged this and processed it further through SilverPro because it was this mother's favorite from the shoot.

    I do not get to use the RZ all that much, but since I will be on break for the next week, I do want to shoot in the studio with it, and I will post hopefully another shot in this thread.

    I purchased my RZ Pro IID kit used before they reintroduced it as another model name. The back plate for my P45 was real expensive (~$900) because that I could not find used. I purchased the initial kit (body, film backs, and two lenses) from a photog over at LuLa classifieds. The rest of my lenses are from KEH.

    Also, in the 08/11 PDN (Photo District News) print magazine, on page 54, photographer Casey Rodgers' work done for InStyle magazine with the RZ67 + film of Keanu Reeves and Matt Damon is displayed. Great portraits!

    Kind regards,
    Darr
    "Creativity takes courage." ~ Henri Matisse
    Darlene Almeda, photoscapes.com

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Port Orchard, WA
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Love my RZ 90% of my shooting with it is in studio. I use my 645AF as a P&S out of the studio.












  6. #6
    Shelby Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Great stuff Mark and Darr! Keep 'em coming.

    I love the drawing style of the RZ lenses. To my eye it's sharp, but gentle.
    Shelby

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Port Orchard, WA
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    We need [email protected] to chime in. He has some sweet portrait stuff.

    The roll off from the sharpness is cool.

  8. #8
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Two thumbs up for the goat, Mark. And bonus points (made me smile).


    Steve Hendrix
    Last edited by Steve Hendrix; 8th August 2011 at 06:46.
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

  9. #9
    Member itsskin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Here are some:




  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Pity i don't have any digital back to use on my RZII[non D]
    Tareq

  11. #11
    Member itsskin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Recent one from today
    RZ67 + 110/2.8 + ZD back
    Against the sun without reflector or flash

  12. #12
    Shelby Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Lovely work ILya... exactly the reason I love the RZ platform. The optics mate really, really well with the lower mp backs. Can't wait to get into it.

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!



    I like the RZ because of its big bright viewfinder and the way the lenses draw - a very film like look - this one when I was using a Phase P45+

    I even like the way highlights are blown - film like..


  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post


    I like the RZ because of its big bright viewfinder and the way the lenses draw - a very film like look - this one when I was using a Phase P45+

    I even like the way highlights are blown - film like..

    What is film like? I don't see any of those shots as film like, sorry for that.
    Tareq

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    I like the way the out of focus in the background is 'drawn' see the background in image two across my dam - well thats how I would describe the look-and I like the way highlights are blown - reminds me of film..

    no need for apology you are entitled to see whatever you see or dont' -

    but to my eyes, the Mamiya RZ glass isnt like my V series glass and is very different to HC glass, and is very different to Leica M and S2 glass ...very very different 'look' - the same shots made with different glass deliver different draw a much underestimated draw ..

  16. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by PeterA View Post
    I like the way the out of focus in the background is 'drawn' see the background in image two across my dam - well thats how I would describe the look-and I like the way highlights are blown - reminds me of film..

    no need for apology you are entitled to see whatever you see or dont' -

    but to my eyes, the Mamiya RZ glass isnt like my V series glass and is very different to HC glass, and is very different to Leica M and S2 glass ...very very different 'look' - the same shots made with different glass deliver different draw a much underestimated draw ..
    I agree that Mamiya RZ shots giving me different result or look than my Hassy V, and both are different than digital MF, not sure if my Mamiya 7II will be almost same as RZ shots.
    But when someone using a digital back on a film camera, doesn't that mean the shots are digital not film? it will give you 6x4.5 not 6x7.
    Tareq

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    When I used the expression - "Film Like" - I meant the way the lenses draw - a lot of commercial work has been done with the RZ and to my eye there is a distinctive look to these lenses especially when using ambient light rather than studio lighting - for me far less digital look.
    If you are talking about film size versus chip size - well that isnt what I was talking about.

  18. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Port Orchard, WA
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Reposting from "Fun with MF images"
    Maiden of the Creek

    Mamiya RZ67ProII D W/ Aptus II 7

    Dragged the RZ out to the creek in the rain. It was the first time I have really taken the RZ out of the studio. Yes, I had taken it out before when I first got it, but then it did not matter if the image I got were bad/out of focus/etc.

    It all turned out better than I thought it had. An IQ back with focus mask would have made it a bit less nerveracking.

    Now if my boots would dry out and my feet warm up, I'll be even happier. Standing in 40F water, with it sloshing over the tops of my wellies for 1.5 hours leaves a bit to be desired.


  19. #19
    Member itsskin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Sometime I wonder, why people would bother with MF in general and RZ in particular to get grossly underexposed and over "portraiture filtered" wrong color images...
    Really, why would you spend so much money for this kind of shot?

    For all RZ considerers - THIS IS NO WHAT RZ SYSTEM CAN AND SHOULD DO.

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Port Orchard, WA
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by itsskin View Post
    Sometime I wonder, why people would bother with MF in general and RZ in particular to get grossly underexposed and over "portraiture filtered" wrong color images...
    Really, why would you spend so much money for this kind of shot?

    For all RZ considerers - THIS IS NO WHAT RZ SYSTEM CAN AND SHOULD DO.
    I am confused. What I posted is a quick edit to what the AD wanted. The paint on the arms matches the paint chips that I was handed.
    Last edited by mvirtue; 23rd August 2011 at 10:10. Reason: correcting grammer

  21. #21
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Ilya...your turn

  22. #22
    Senior Member bensonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    819

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Mark -- just wanted to say how much I like your photos of the blown glass flowers.....beautiful.

    Just received my RZ Pro II yesterday (with 4 lenses). It's a beast of a camera.....which I like. :-)

    I hope to post some images here in the next week or so. Since they will be my first shots with the RZ, I'll be lucky if there are one or two worth sharing.

    Re how different lenses look (whether on film or digital), I need to train my eyes to look more carefully, since I can rarely tell the difference between a shot (same subject, film etc) taken with my Canon, Nikon or Leica lenses. With respect to the RZ glass, I think I'll take the same shot with my RZ (110mm f2.8 lens) and my Pentax 67 (105mm f2.4 lens) and see how the images compare. If there's any interest in the results, I could post them here for all to see.

    Gary

  23. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Port Orchard, WA
    Posts
    157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    Mark -- just wanted to say how much I like your photos of the blown glass flowers.....beautiful.

    Just received my RZ Pro II yesterday (with 4 lenses). It's a beast of a camera.....which I like. :-)

    I hope to post some images here in the next week or so. Since they will be my first shots with the RZ, I'll be lucky if there are one or two worth sharing.

    Re how different lenses look (whether on film or digital), I need to train my eyes to look more carefully, since I can rarely tell the difference between a shot (same subject, film etc) taken with my Canon, Nikon or Leica lenses. With respect to the RZ glass, I think I'll take the same shot with my RZ (110mm f2.8 lens) and my Pentax 67 (105mm f2.4 lens) and see how the images compare. If there's any interest in the results, I could post them here for all to see.

    Gary
    Thanks!

    You will have fun with the RZ.

  24. #24
    Member itsskin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Ilya...your turn
    No problem

    But may be you already seen this...

  25. #25
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    ILya,

    That is a nice photograph! I love the big heavy, gritty, steel wheels of this classic locomotive, juxtaposed with the softness and innocence of the child - which also gives the locomotive scale. The washed colors blend very nicely.
    In your response to the model photograph, I too, am guilty of portrait filters, and have decided to only use them when necessary, and then only very small inputs. It's like HDR, at first it looked interesting, then so many photographers were over cooking them! The secret is to be so subtle, that no one knows what you did...imo.
    I have been looking at the RZ, as well as the 503CW, and the Contax 645. I want images that don't look plastic or ultra, but have character and show technique. I appreciate all the images here, thanks.

  26. #26
    Shelby Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Hey everyone... please don't let this devolve into a pi$$ing contest. This is a "show your favorites" thread (not a "your shots aren't good RZ67 shots" thread).

    I'm enjoying seeing everyone's vision here, regardless of "quality" or whether it meets someone's expectations and self-assigned criticality.

    Thanks... keep 'em coming!
    Shelby

  27. #27
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Hi Shelby,
    I agree that ALL the photographs are of interest regardless of technique. I've notice that the RZ lenses do draw nicely. Interestingly enough, a good sample here show lots of over exposed areas that seem to do very well in detail. The size of the camera, I think will be a benefit because of easier hand holding - less shutter vibration.

  28. #28
    Senior Member bensonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    819

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    ILya....I love that photo of the little girl and locomotive....outstanding!

    Got my first roll of film from the RZ back from the lab this afternoon. 10 exposures on Velvia 100, all with the 110mm lens. Just the usual stuff I shoot....but they were all keepers and now it seems ever more likely that I will be keeping the RZ. I had almost hoped I would be disappointed, so I could save $2k and send it back to KEH. Not likely now. I'm anxious to try the other lenses now (50, 65 and 180). At first glance, the RZ images appear to be every bit as good as transparencies shot with my Pentax 67. Have to say......I really like the rotating back on the RZ.

    Anyways....subject wise, these are nothing special....but typical of what I've been shooting lately (ok, for the past 20+ years). I know, I know......mundane doesn't even begin to describe them.

    Gary






  29. #29
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    3,623
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    ILya....I love that photo of the little girl and locomotive....outstanding!

    Got my first roll of film from the RZ back from the lab this afternoon. 10 exposures on Velvia 100, all with the 110mm lens. Just the usual stuff I shoot....but they were all keepers and now it seems ever more likely that I will be keeping the RZ. I had almost hoped I would be disappointed, so I could save $2k and send it back to KEH. Not likely now. I'm anxious to try the other lenses now (50, 65 and 180). At first glance, the RZ images appear to be every bit as good as transparencies shot with my Pentax 67. Have to say......I really like the rotating back on the RZ.

    Anyways....subject wise, these are nothing special....but typical of what I've been shooting lately (ok, for the past 20+ years). I know, I know......mundane doesn't even begin to describe them.

    Gary





    I like

  30. #30
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Gary,

    For web images these look nice. Film has so much more character.

  31. #31
    Shelby Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Nice, Gary.

  32. #32
    Senior Member bensonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    819

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Thanks folks! As always with film, I just feel a bit disappointed by the transfer from film to digital.....the scans never come close to the quality of the original transparency or negative. Wish I had access to a high end scanner.....hard to justify spending $10k for a Flextight (even assuming I had it to spare) for images like these.

    Gary

  33. #33
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Gary, I'm always struck by out of whack things can get. I sold my Imacon Flextight 949 and a zillion accessories to a fellow that asked me to hold onto it for a while. Two years later, it is still sitting on the desk behind me ... meanwhile, you don't have access to one.

    IMO, using a big 6X7 neg and the 949 is the equal of a $20,000. digital rig when the stuff gets printed ... and the 949 scans so fast and has a different diffusion light source that looks more like an enlarger was used compared to most other scanners, including the 848.

    Likewise, I still have a cabinet full of RZ glass, Fisheye and SB75 & tube, all the way through SF180 w/Imagon type inserts and 210 APO, metered and non-metered finders, motor, tubes, PW trigger systems, flare buster ... anyway, a cabinet full just sitting there. To lazy to sell it and the prices don't justify selling it anyway. I did sell the T/S and SB180 + SB tube after getting the HC-TS/1.5 for my H4D/60, and I traded the RZ Pro-II body alone (non D) toward the H4D because it was worth over $2K in Hasselblad's promotion.

    In a way it is my death grip on film ... where I just can't quite let go even though I haven't used film since I sold my 203FE kit. I figured if I ever do get back to film, the RZ is the camera to do it ...darned neg is so big and the lenses so unique and diversified.

    Shelby is right, used RZ ProDs are hard to come by .... so I still don't have a body to replace the one I traded in.


    I used the RZ mostly, but not exclusively, in the studio for paying work. Ironically, it made the money to buy all the other stuff that replaced it

    Here are few I had to frame grab off another site because the RZ hard drive is stored away and I'm too lazy to retrieve it, so the IQ suffers a bit

    The only digital shot is the conceptual portrait done for an vintage jewelry place which I titled "Moon River" using a Kodak Proback if I recall correctly. The wind-blown girl has lots of space to the right to allow for editorial copy ... the profile "strength" portrait was a commission for a personal trainer to use for commercial promotion ... the Greenfield village shot was for me

    Point is that the camera and all the stuff you can get for it was a work-horse tool to express a wide array of different intents or ideas from the first day I got it. A truly great and under utilized system these days



    Marc

  34. #34
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by itsskin View Post
    No problem

    But may be you already seen this...
    Ilya, do you have a version of this shot that doesn't have the highlights blown ...maybe one that isn't so contrived looking in execution? It's a good initial idea in search of a better photographic expression, so worth the effort. Since the RZ can do almost anything, it should be possible.

    Since you like to know who is doing the critique, I am not doing it with my photographer's hat on ... but instead as a now retired Executive Creative Director (with an art director background) for the international ad agency Young & Rubicam Inc.

    Sincerely,

    -Marc

  35. #35
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    As a Getty image, this is a great photograph with its end use applicable to many outlets. Even the blown highlight is minimal, and could easily be adjusted. The framing and height of the camera all create great scale in relation to the young girl. Any advertising campaign or editorial can be considered contrived, so this image is no different from that. I like the photograph because its message could be one of many, that's why it's so effective as a stock image.

    Keep up the good work!

  36. #36
    Member itsskin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Ilya, do you have a version of this shot that doesn't have the highlights blown ...maybe one that isn't so contrived looking in execution? It's a good initial idea in search of a better photographic expression, so worth the effort. Since the RZ can do almost anything, it should be possible.

    Since you like to know who is doing the critique, I am not doing it with my photographer's hat on ... but instead as a now retired Executive Creative Director (with an art director background) for the international ad agency Young & Rubicam Inc.

    Sincerely,

    -Marc
    Thx! Yes, of course I do. Actually, the first image posted was not finished image for stock. It was just for friends sharing. And with such blown HL it would not be accepted for sale. So, here is original:

  37. #37
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    As a Getty image, this is a great photograph with its end use applicable to many outlets. Even the blown highlight is minimal, and could easily be adjusted. The framing and height of the camera all create great scale in relation to the young girl. Any advertising campaign or editorial can be considered contrived, so this image is no different from that. I like the photograph because its message could be one of many, that's why it's so effective as a stock image.

    Keep up the good work!
    Thanks for making my point. It is all opinion and circumstances.

    Shooting stock is different from shooting a specific assignment where other specific eyes and opinions are directly involved ... like the image Ilya critiqued in a pretty dismissive and derogatory manner, rather than ask what it was for or why it was shot the way it was.

    I didn't say I didn't like the train shot composition or idea ... but as an art director I'd have asked to see more takes on it because I don't like the slightly contorted expression on the kid's face or the fake aspect of her carrying the big case along in the manner it was shot. When shooting stock you do whatever, and leave it up to the buyer to decide.

    -Marc

  38. #38
    Shelby Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    didn't say I didn't like the train shot composition or idea ... but as an art director I'd have asked to see more takes on it because I don't like the slightly contorted expression on the kid's face or the fake aspect of her carrying the big case along in the manner it was shot.

    -Marc
    ... or the fact that, if the job is going to print, that the blown color channels are going to be a real mess at the printers. Online, maybe not so much... but blown color channels (like portrait smoothing or exposure level!) have little/nothing to do with the RZ and much to do with how well the photographer can control the dynamic range of the scene.

    It's entirely possible to get a bright, crisp, "modern" look from a photo without loosing valuable RGB info, RZ or not. That point seems to be lost on one of our more contentious members.

    Like you alluded to, Marc, artistic intent seems to have confused/interchanged with technical ability.

    (... but wait, this thread is about FAVORITE RZ shots, lol. )

  39. #39
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    My point about stock was to show that the image has many purposes, based on an opinion after viewing ILya's Getty portfolio. Now that i've viewed the original, it's even better! Knowing that it was just for fun, makes the image and photographer that more enjoyable. Even though I don't agree with the opinion about loss of valuable RGB, it's a good photograph with varying degrees of interpretation...that doesn't make for a contentious argument.

  40. #40
    Shelby Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Now that i've viewed the original, it's even better!
    I agree!

  41. #41
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Shelby,

    I'm very interested in this camera and how it compares to an Hasselblad 503CW. from your experience are there major differences other than lenses?

  42. #42
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dallas/Novosibirsk
    Posts
    632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    hmm.. ok

    RZIID + Aptus54s..


    Ryan by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr


    Late tea by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr


    Mosh by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr
    + ZD..


    MMFC1300www by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr


    + film


    Scan-110320-0013 by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr


    Highest point, overview by Sergei Rodionov, on Flickr



    stuff like that.. Or something like that.. no matter I think there are some more, but i have issues with "favorites".. It changes all the time..

    Its interesting system. Sometime its very cool to shoot, sometime - not so much. E.g - taking headshot of standing model taller than about 5.5 will require you to climb up on the stool/chair ladder b/c of vertical viewfinder (i hate prism one).

    Other than that - its all about holding.. Viewfinder is awesome. Easiest focusing (once you figure out that sides arent changed) bar larger ( as in Large Format) ... ever
    Last edited by SergeiR; 14th September 2011 at 13:07.

  43. #43
    Senior Member johnnygoesdigital's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    1,579
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    SergeiR,

    I love the model shots - these are impressive for the RZ. I'd say full potential with this camera.

  44. #44
    Shelby Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Shelby,

    I'm very interested in this camera and how it compares to an Hasselblad 503CW. from your experience are there major differences other than lenses?
    I wish I could tell you... but I've been a 35mm shooter almost my whole career. I've shot film with an RZ, and a smattering of other MF cameras but I've only been an MF digital shooter for the last season or so.

    I did shoot an old 501cm with older zeiss lenses at a capture integration event with a p65+ (i shoot aptus) and I can say that focussing was easier than with my AFD III, but about the same as the RZ. Those hassies are certainly more compact though... lighter and easier to handhold.

    The classic zeiss look from the 500 series, to my eye draws, with a lot more bite... but still often has a fantastic bokeh. The RZ has a much gentler rendering and nice bokeh too... if not with a bit less character than the zeiss lenses. I think this gentleness is what is so nice about the RZ lenses.

  45. #45
    Shelby Lewis
    Guest

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Nice work, Sergei. The simple, but well-executed lighting on this one has always caught my eye.

  46. #46
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Dallas/Novosibirsk
    Posts
    632
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by Shelby Lewis View Post
    Nice work, Sergei. The simple, but well-executed lighting on this one has always caught my eye.
    Thanks This is RZ as well With two Rangers, one covered in Deep Octa, which is just a hair short of being a single most fantastic soft light modifier i ever used.

  47. #47
    Senior Member bensonga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Alaska
    Posts
    2,416
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    819

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by johnnygoesdigital View Post
    Shelby,

    I'm very interested in this camera and how it compares to an Hasselblad 503CW. from your experience are there major differences other than lenses?
    Are you asking about the differences with a digital back or film? I have the 503CWD (with the 16mp CFV-II back) and now the RZ Pro II (but no digital back for it...darn).

    Marc Williams will be able to provide the most insight on this, since he has used the Hasselblad V and Mamiya RZ cameras with both film and digital backs attached. I'll be interested to hear his thoughts.....

    Gary

  48. #48
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    107
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Quote Originally Posted by bensonga View Post
    I have the 503CWD (with the 16mp CFV-II back) and now the RZ Pro II (but no digital back for it...darn).

    Gary
    Gary,

    There are adapter plates for the RZpro II which would allow you to use your CFV-II V mount digital back.

    So you could soon be using digital on your RZpro II

    Adapter plates are quite expensive though. Given that you could get a couple of RZ lens for the same price.

    Neil

  49. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    215
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    14

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    ILya,
    The image of the little girl is so lovely that I forgot where I was reading.

  50. #50
    Member itsskin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Beijing
    Posts
    118
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Show your favorite RZ67 shots!

    Thx

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •